IGNORED

Pachanko SATA Cable

My SATA cables (one for the Samsung 850 Pro SSD O/S drive, one for the Samsung 850 Pro 2 TB (music drive) were replaced with the Pachanko SATA cables.

My immediate impression of the Pachanko cables was that it improved the sound quality of my music server.

After almost 3 weeks of listening, the cables have revealed itself to be a superb component in my server.

Better tonal balance, wider and deeper soundstage, 3D sound, detailed, micro percussions are more revealed with the Pachanko SATA cables, very easy to listen to, no glare, or digital edginess.

The Pachanko SATA cables greatly improved my sound quality in my Audio-PC. (Windows 2012 R2, Intel i7 4770t, 16 GB RAM, Asus H87M-E (modified with PPA MoBo Clock), PPA V4 Sound Card, Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis. AO 1.4, JPlay 6.2, Fidelizer 6.12, ProcessLasso 8.9,x, Bug Head 5.8.

Highly recommended A++++++++++++

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Digital to Analog Converter: Mutec MC-3+ USB, B.M.C. UltraDAC

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Music player: Roon

Using the TeraDak 200 watts Dual Rail Linear PSU.

5 volts 6 Amp for the PPA V4 sound card.

12 volts 12 Amp for the PICO-BOX X1-ATX Solid DCPSU 12V 150W-200W Power Supply For PC ITX Micro-ATX HTPC.

The PICO-BOX X1-ATX supplies the motherboard and the hard drives.

Music Server: Streacom ST-FC5WS-Evo chassis, ASUS H87M-E, modified with PPA Studio MoBo Clock Upgrade, Intel Core I7-4770t, 16 GB G.SKILL F3-10666CL7D, SOtM tX-USBexp, sCLK-EX, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0 (Final), JPlay, Fidelizer 8.x, Windows Server 2019 Core mode

Amplifier:Sanders Magtech Monoblocks; Loudspeakers: Magneplanar 3.6R, Vandersteen 2Wq Subwoffers

Curious what the difference if any there are between Paul Pang, Jcat, and Pachanko.

I recently swapped out the SATA cable in my audio pc from some generic brand to an Asus version that has been mentioned a few times on various forums as being very good. I think I hear some small difference which now has me interested in seeing if a higher priced SATA cable will yield even more improvements. The Asus cable I used are:

2 Pack Asus New SATA 3 0 III SATA3 SATAIII High Speed 6GB s Data Cable 18 Inch | eBay

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 1 month later...

Compared Pachanko USB Digital "Absolution" cable to the Pranawire Proton USB yesterday and the audience agreed that the Pachanko had a better top to bottom SQ than the way more expensive Pranawire 1.2 meter cable.

• 1 month later...
Curious what the difference if any there are between Paul Pang, Jcat, and Pachanko.

Yes, that is the question.

I recently trialled a friend's JCAT SATA cable on the music ssd and was surprised with the SQ improvement (I was expecting none). In short improved tonal balance with smoother mids,less harshness without other losses. Indeed, incremental improvements in other areas. The JCAT unfortunately has known issues with mobo and ssd compatibility, Windows (10 in my case) frequently not recognizing connected drive. There is a JCAT SATA v2 cable just out so maybe addresses these problems.

Has anyone had similar compatibilty issues with Pachanko?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I recently trialled a friend's JCAT SATA cable on the music ssd and was surprised with the SQ improvement (I was expecting none).

David

How long was this cable ? Did you also try the shortest possible SATA 3 6GB/S cable, which has 2 separate internal screened cables ?

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have used the Pachanko SATA cables and many of my friends and associates have used both the Pachanko Digital "Sata/Mk2" (Red) and Pachanko Digital "Sata Reference" (Black) without any issues, the improvement is sound quality has been vetted and confirmed by all who installed them. I am now using the Sata Reference on my O/S SSD and Music SSD. Very highly recommended.

Yes, that is the question.

I recently trialled a friend's JCAT SATA cable on the music ssd and was surprised with the SQ improvement (I was expecting none). In short improved tonal balance with smoother mids,less harshness without other losses. Indeed, incremental improvements in other areas. The JCAT unfortunately has known issues with mobo and ssd compatibility, Windows (10 in my case) frequently not recognizing connected drive. There is a JCAT SATA v2 cable just out so maybe addresses these problems.

Has anyone had similar compatibilty issues with Pachanko?

Hi Guys

I have recently had the opportunity to sample several Pachanko SATA cables. I had a PPA sata cable on my OS disk in the audio pc of my 2 pc streamer and replaced it with Pachanko's red SATA cable. The improvement was obvious immediately. Music had more body and better focus. This only improved over the next week.

Recently I have switched that cable to his black Reference Sata cable. This brought even more improvement in detail, tonal balance and clarity. This was a 60 cm size. I am waiting on two 30 cm black reference cables from Pachanko, one will go in the control pc and one in the audio pc. I will report my findings back here. Based on my recent experiences, I have very positive expectations.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

David

How long was this cable ? Did you also try the shortest possible SATA 3 6GB/S cable, which has 2 separate internal screened cables ?

Hi Alex,

JCAT SATA is 40cm and I only need about half this length.

AFAIK the standard SATA cables that came with the MOBO are all 6bps. I am assuming this as the MOBO has only SATA III 6gbs ports. I do not know if they are double shielded. Is the shielding part of the SATA III spec?

The JCAT SATA was a noticeble SQ improvement

I have used the Pachanko SATA cables and many of my friends and associates have used both the Pachanko Digital "Sata/Mk2" (Red) and Pachanko Digital "Sata Reference" (Black) without any issues, the improvement is sound quality has been vetted and confirmed by all who installed them. I am now using the Sata Reference on my O/S SSD and Music SSD. Very highly recommended.

Good to know, thanks

Hi Guys

I had a PPA sata cable on my OS disk in the audio pc of my 2 pc streamer and replaced it with Pachanko's red SATA cable. The improvement was obvious immediately. Music had more body and better focus. This only improved over the next week.

Recently I have switched that cable to his black Reference Sata cable. This brought even more improvement in detail, tonal balance and clarity.

Which PPA was it? Pity no-one has compared Pachanko to JCAT. I believe PPA makes JCAT cables so it might be interesting to know which PPA it was and therefore if it is the same cable used by JCAT. I do know that the JCAT reference *usb* cable has some differences to the PPA version ie it is made especially for JCAT that way.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

IMO and at least 10 others who have compared the "stock" SATA cables to the modified cables from Pachanko, PPA and JCat, there is an immediate improvement when the stock SATA cables were replaced with the better quality SATA, that being said, the Pachanko came out the winner each time.

Hi Alex,

JCAT SATA is 40cm and I only need about half this length.

AFAIK the standard SATA cables that came with the MOBO are all 6bps. I am assuming this as the MOBO has only SATA III 6gbs ports. I do not know if they are double shielded. Is the shielding part of the SATA III spec?

The JCAT SATA was a noticeble SQ improvement

Good to know, thanks

Which PPA was it? Pity no-one has compared Pachanko to JCAT. I believe PPA makes JCAT cables so it might be interesting to know which PPA it was and therefore if it is the same cable used by JCAT. I do know that the JCAT reference *usb* cable has some differences to the PPA version ie it is made especially for JCAT that way.

We had three folks do an A/B/A listening session with the PPA Sarah, PPA Black and the Pachanko SATA, In all the tests the Pachanko SATA was the clear winner, however the PPA Black was a close second, but costs much more than the Pachanko SATA.

IMO and at least 10 others who have compared the "stock" SATA cables to the modified cables from Pachanko, PPA and JCat, there is an immediate improvement when the stock SATA cables were replaced with the better quality SATA, that being said, the Pachanko came out the winner each time.

We had three folks do an A/B/A listening session with the PPA Sarah, PPA Black and the Pachanko SATA, In all the tests the Pachanko SATA was the clear winner, however the PPA Black was a close second, but costs much more than the Pachanko SATA.

Thanks for the info. I wonder why the expensive brand SATA cables sound better.Electronics is not my strong suit. Perhaps it is due to the multicore or if they use twisted pair construction cancelling noise. I believe standard SATA cables use non twisted pairs. Expectation bias is always a possibility but in my case I was NOT expecting an improvement, quite the reverse, I was expecting it to be BS marketing hype.

I actually contacted Chan from Pachanko. IMHO he needs to seriously look at his marketing and I told him my opinion FWIW.He has three SATA cables on his website at different price points but with the exact same description. The lack of 'hype' is refreshing but similarly I dont think there will be too many wanting to buy expensive cables based on his "love and passion" .

Sound Minds Mind Sound

David

Perhaps you will soon be in a position to be able to help answer the question as to whether there is any marked (not tiny) SQ advantage with an expensive aftermarket 40cm SATA cable over a shorter 25cm SATA 3 6GB/s cable ? .

It makes sense to me that an aftermarket SATA cable may perform better at longer lengths than a normal SATA cable of the same length, due to improved screening and perhaps lower resistance conductors.

Kind Regards

Alex

P.S.

A generic SATA cable as still used by many, only has 7 wires side by side without any shielding . Most newer motherboards are likely to have come with at least one 40cm SATA3 6GB/s cable

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

David

Perhaps you will soon be in a position to be able to help answer the question as to whether there is any marked (not tiny) SQ advantage with an expensive aftermarket 40cm SATA cable over a shorter 25cm SATA 3 6GB/s cable ? .

Yes comparing the cable you recommended to the JCAT SATA v1 which is in Peter's server I built for him. Alex, we will also get you over and you can decide for yourself!

I hope the much cheaper cable does rate favourably. I am in a bit of a quandary if it does not as I have lost a bit of faith in the reliabilty of JCAT products (thus I am here researching Pachanko).Marcin declined to swap the faulty JCAT v1 for a v2 cable. In fairness, he did suggest some tweaks to the BIOS to see if that solved the compatibility issues. At Pete's place today the jcat was less problematic after a couple of reboots so he decided not to do anything further for now.I will also need to rethink about which usb card and cable I want to go with.

It makes sense to me that an aftermarket SATA cable may perform better at longer lengths than a normal SATA cable of the same length, due to improved screening and perhaps lower resistance conductors.

Now Alex, you are beginning sound like one of those dang "objectivists". Throw in a spurious measurement or two and we might think you have defected ;-)

A generic SATA cable as still used by many, only has 7 wires side by side without any shielding . Most newer motherboards are likely to have come with at least one 40cm SATA3 6GB/s cable

Is that *generic* SATAII with 7 wires side by side and no shielding as opposed to *generic* SATAIII with two shielded wires?

Just to add to (my) confusion I read somewhere that there should be no difference between shielded and unshielded as SATA uses differential signaling. Also, In most cases an unshielded cable has a higher impedance than an equivalent sheilded version. This higher impedance allows for higher frequency transmission and longer wire length.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Yes comparing the cable you recommended to the JCAT SATA v1 which is in Peter's server I built for him. Alex, we will also get you over and you can decide for yourself!

I hope the much cheaper cable does rate favourably. I am in a bit of a quandary if it does not as I have lost a bit of faith in the reliabilty of JCAT products (thus I am here researching Pachanko).Marcin declined to swap the faulty JCAT v1 for a v2 cable. In fairness, he did suggest some tweaks to the BIOS to see if that solved the compatibility issues. At Pete's place today the jcat was less problematic after a couple of reboots so he decided not to do anything further for now.I will also need to rethink about which usb card and cable I want to go with.

Now Alex, you are beginning sound like one of those dang "objectivists". Throw in a spurious measurement or two and we might think you have defected ;-)

Is that *generic* SATAII with 7 wires side by side and no shielding as opposed to *generic* SATAIII with two shielded wires?

Just to add to (my) confusion I read somewhere that there should be no difference between shielded and unshielded as SATA uses differential signaling. Also, In most cases an unshielded cable has a higher impedance than an equivalent sheilded version. This higher impedance allows for higher frequency transmission and longer wire length.

David

The older SATA 2 cables which were usually red, with their 7 side by side wires normally visible, were often able to perform at the higher speed, but it was not guaranteed like with the SATA 3 6GB/s cables.They also appear to pick up radiated RF/EMI , especially in the longer than necessary lengths where they may end up draped across the motherboard.

It's not always a good idea to have all of the internal SATA cables in a 25cm length as I found recently. The sound became ultra detailed when I replaced the last remaining one recently, but sounded balanced again when I fitted a 40cm Asus SATA 3 6GB/s cable that came in the motherboard's box instead.

Weird !That isn't supposed to happen.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

Can we also see just how much better your new Gryphon DAC is too ?

Does it also do DSD ?

For those interested I asked Chan the difference in his SATA Reference cable compared to SATA MkII and got his permission to pass on his answer.

Hi David

Other than cryo treatment, the resulting improvements from which are highly debatable, he didn't really tell you anything ,as he didn't use the words screened or shielded. Isolated independently could mean almost anything.

Kind Regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

English is obviously not Chan's first language. He was also focusing on the difference between his standard cable.

He has updated his website now...

Pachanko Digital "Sata Reference" Features:

OFC multi stranded 26 AWG cryo copper wire isolated separately

- Teflon coated

- Triple shielded

-100% Handcrafted

-Can be bent

-Compatible with all OS

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Hi Alex,

English is obviously not Chan's first language. He was also focusing on the difference between his standard cable.

He has updated his website now...

Pachanko Digital "Sata Reference" Features:

OFC multi stranded 26 AWG cryo copper wire isolated separately

- Teflon coated

- Triple shielded

-100% Handcrafted

-Can be bent

-Compatible with all OS

Hi David

That sounds much better !

The jury is still out on Cryo treatment for most people though.

Kind Regards

Alex

Appreciating the discussion here. I've just converted to dedicated PC with lots of trials on PC parts, power, software etc. Using fidelizer pro, AO, and Roon now. Alpha USB and DAC II to CJ ART's and Amphion 7L's. Shunyata/Nordost cabling and conditioning. While fidelizer, AO and PP's USB card are really significant improvements, I'm suprised by the improvements coming from linear power to my NAS, a strikingly clear difference, and sotm filters on fans and SSD. From the discussion here, I guess I need PP sata cables. Has anyone had similar results from LAN cables? Thanks, Jim

Appreciating the discussion here. I've just converted to dedicated PC with lots of trials on PC parts, power, software etc. Using fidelizer pro, AO, and Roon now. Alpha USB and DAC II to CJ ART's and Amphion 7L's. Shunyata/Nordost cabling and conditioning. While fidelizer, AO and PP's USB card are really significant improvements, I'm suprised by the improvements coming from linear power to my NAS, a strikingly clear difference, and sotm filters on fans and SSD. From the discussion here, I guess I need PP sata cables. Has anyone had similar results from LAN cables? Thanks, Jim

Highly recommend you try the Pachanko Red or Black "Reference" SATA cables, he also has LAN cables that will be worth trying.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi David

SATA3 6GB/s cables can be purchased from an AU. ebay member in 25CM lengths, which is what I use.

Sata 3 III 3 0 Data HDD SSD Cable 25cm 10" UV Blue W Latch | eBay

Hi David

I would be surprised if the jCat 40cm has as much advantage over a 25cm long standard SATA 3 6GB/s cable which can be far more direct, and perhaps up against the metalwork.

David

Well Alex, you were on the money, so to speak. I got the cables you recommended in 15cm (6 inch) and 25cm lengths. Using the 15cm on both music and OS SSD made a noticeable difference in reducing grain and improving texture of the sound, sounding less 'digital' and more natural.It didnt sound, to my ear, hyper detailed or etched or any other odd adverse consequences.I have not yet tried the 25cm cables.

I would say, bang for the buck, it is a very cheap and most worthwhile tweak.

Peter has purchased the Pachanko SATA cables so when they arrive a showdown will be in order. I suspect, based on my experience with only one JCAT SATA cable that Peter acquired from Dennis, that the more expensive SATA cables might win. I remain genuinely open to either outcome so no real bias (as much as that is possible in these listening tests).It will be interesting to compare JCAT vs Pachanko vs very short standard SATA 3 cables.

Sound Minds Mind Sound