IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

Over at the Roon User Community site there are two early adopters having trouble getting DSD256 output from their Sonicorbiter SE units. Anyone else here having that issue?

Looks like this is a bug in Roon and they are working on it.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/build-94-dsd256-from-roonready-sonicorbiter-se/6878

Also make sure your DAC supports DSD256 over DoP. I had a iFi DAC here that had DSD256 support but only using a proprietary Windows driver.

I upgraded to the latest firmware for the DAC. The upgrade has DSD256 over DoP support and now I can play DSD256 on the Sonicorbiter SE (in Squeezelite mode).

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but what is "LMS"? I'd be running windows 10 on my PC. And I have an Iphone 6S. What program would run on the windows PC? And, are there a variety of apps for the Iphone outside of iPeng? I'm a little confused why there wouldn't be more info regarding this on the Sonore website. I appreciate any info!

LMS or Squeezebox Server, as it's more commonly called, serves music to Squeezeplayers. You have quite a lot of options here on how to set this up. How you configure everything depends on what you are trying to accomplish, the equipment you have, and your music listening workflow.

Here are a few common configurations.

1. SqueezeBox Server running on a microJukebox

microJukebox – Small Green Computer

This allows you to have a Sonicorbiter SE anywhere on your home network. You control playback via iPeng. You can have many players and one server (the microJukebox)

2. SqueezeBox Server running on a NAS. Some NAS boxes have the ability to run SqueezeBox Server.

Same as above. Many player controlled by iPeng

3. Or you can run SqueezeBox Server on the Sonicorbiter SE itself. This is great for a completely self contained setup.

4. You can run SqueezeBox Server on a Mac or PC. But this is the least desirable option because the PC/OSX versions have many problems with firewalls, sleep mode, etc.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

LMS or Squeezebox Server, as it's more commonly called, serves music to Squeezeplayers. You have quite a lot of options here on how to set this up. How you configure everything depends on what you are trying to accomplish, the equipment you have, and your music listening workflow.

Here are a few common configurations.

1. SqueezeBox Server running on a microJukebox

microJukebox – Small Green Computer

This allows you to have a Sonicorbiter SE anywhere on your home network. You control playback via iPeng. You can have many players and one server (the microJukebox)

2. SqueezeBox Server running on a NAS. Some NAS boxes have the ability to run SqueezeBox Server.

Same as above. Many player controlled by iPeng

3. Or you can run SqueezeBox Server on the Sonicorbiter SE itself. This is great for a completely self contained setup.

4. You can run SqueezeBox Server on a Mac or PC. But this is the least desirable option because the PC/OSX versions have many problems with firewalls, sleep mode, etc.

Thanks for the info Agillis. I don't have a Squeezebox server. I currently have JRiver with FLAC files pulled from my NAS. Works great so I'm not sure I need a Squeezebox. When I search in the appstore for iPeng - it says it works on Squeezebox servers which I can't use? JRiver, Itunes, Foobar, and possibly Roon are what I have on my windows PC pulling from NAS with FLAC 16 and 24 bit files. My goal is for the best quality sound. I'd be going Sonicorbiter > Curious cable > Regen > Curious link > NAD C510 DAC > Mogami Gold 6ft cables > Focal Alpha 65 speakers.

Thanks for the info Agillis. I don't have a Squeezebox server. I currently have JRiver with FLAC files pulled from my NAS. Works great so I'm not sure I need a Squeezebox. When I search in the appstore for iPeng - it says it works on Squeezebox servers which I can't use? JRiver, Itunes, Foobar, and possibly Roon are what I have on my windows PC pulling from NAS with FLAC 16 and 24 bit files. My goal is for the best quality sound. I'd be going Sonicorbiter > Curious cable > Regen > Curious link > NAD C510 DAC > Mogami Gold 6ft cables > Focal Alpha 65 speakers.

Don't forget to put minimserver on this list. It works beautifully with DLNA/MPD mode and a controller like Lumin or bubbleupnp, on an iPad or Android tablet.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I received my Sonicorbiter SE the other day. I am using it with roon. Plugged it in and enabled roon via the webpage, and was streaming music in minutes. I don't think it was 10 minutes from opening the package to listing to music. All music I tried to play, redbook, hires 24/48/88/96/176/192 played without error. I was able to play DSD64 and DSD128 as well. It works very well, I was even able to unplug the USB cable mid song and the song just paused where the disconnect was and when I pluged it back in, then hit play and the song picked off where I left it.

I have had and tried PCs using foobar, jriver, media monkey in my system, MAC with Amarra, Sonos, xbmc/kodi in ubuntu, and CCA. To me this sounds very good. Sound is much better than a PC/MAC IMO. I personally feel that small music appliances hooked into a good DAC is the future of computer audio. There is no noise at all when listening with this set up, dynamics and soundstage are excellent. No drop outs, ticks or studdering. I had about 6 hours to play with it and listen to music.

JBNY, I appreciate you taking the time to post your findings.

Jesus R

Sounds good. I just ordered one! I primarily use JRiverMC on my Windows PC. I'm wondering how to play things like youtube video from my PC through the Sonore? I could use the JRiver Media Center playback device which routes everything through JRiver which would send it through the Sonore - correct? Just want to make sure any of the music I plan on my PC will go through the Sonore. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Spence

I know others have responded, but I want to chime in on this. Streaming internet audio through JRiver has not been tested and is not advertised as a supported feature. Please test it and let me know via email ([email protected]) what you find out. I might also have another solution, but it's not working to my satisfaction and I have not advertised it as a supported feature.

Jesus R

Also, what's the advantage over running USB out of my computer into DAC? Is sound quality improved running through the Sonore into the DAC? I have a new HP PC, but sometimes my cpu gets overloaded and I get dropouts listening through JRiver. Would the Sonore give a "better" signal with no dropouts?

Some of the Sonicorbiter SE's output modes take the stream directly from your player application located on your computer. As such problematic playback on your computer will not be resolved by the Sonicorbiter SE. I suggest that you improve things on your PC first. If that does not work contact me for support and I will recommend a better solution.

Jesus R

It also states that for Sonore Sonicorbiter SE, there are third-party apps for your PC/and mobile device. Where can I find said "apps". I'm getting nothing searching Sonore Sonicorbiter SE software apps.

Thanks!

If you are going to use JRiver on your computer to stream to the Sonicorbiter SE then I would use JRiver on your computer or JRemote on your mobile device as the controller.

Jesus R

Over at the Roon User Community site there are two early adopters having trouble getting DSD256 output from their Sonicorbiter SE units. Anyone else here having that issue?

Some clarifications:

Roon does not support DSD in .DFF format. Roon supports DSD in .DSF format up to DSD128 via DoP. If you play a .DSF DSD256 file Roon will down sample to your DAC's highest supported PCM rate. Roon does not support DSD in .DSF format natively.

This information is subject to change as Roon updates things.

Jesus R

Thanks Firedog! That's a wealth of information. Looks like I'll be using Modes 2 (Apple), 3 (JRiver) & 5 (Roon). Currently in day 2 of the Roon 14 day trial. I'm pretty much a JRiver guy and LOVE the jRemote app. I believe there are settings I need to change in JRiver to output DLNA. I'll continue researching. As is the norm, I won't really figure it out till I get the box at home to play with. I appreciate all the info.

JRiver is a great DLNA server for the Sonicorbiter SE. This allows you to stream PCM and DSD to the Sonicorbiter SE with it in DLNA/MPD output mode.

Rendu JRiver setup with DoP - http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-JRiver-Setup.png

Rendu JRiver setup with DSD2PCM conversion - http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-JRiver-Setup-DSD2PCM-176.png

Jesus R

Some clarifications:

Roon does not support DSD in .DFF format. Roon supports DSD in .DSF format up to DSD128 via DoP. If you play a .DSF DSD256 file Roon will down sample to your DAC's highest supported PCM rate. Roon does not support DSD in .DSF format natively.

Jesus R

What about those using HQPlayer to upsample PCM files to DSD256? Are you saying Roon will not support that? If Roon does, will it work through the Sonicorbiter SE?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

What about those using HQPlayer to upsample PCM files to DSD256? Are you saying Roon will not support that? If Roon does, will it work through the Sonicorbiter SE?

I have tried them separately, but not together so I can't say who is in the driver's seat...Roon or HQ Player. I have described the limitations as I know them for Roon. HQ Player via NAA mode could stream native DSD512 into a iFi micro – iDSD via the Sonicorbiter SE. However, most DACs will need DSD in DoP format and what max rates they support is up to their firmware. What DAC do you have?

Jesus R

Presumably, that means stereo only. Is there a similar solution for multichannel?

Kai, Linux is not multichannel challenged. MPD supports multichannel playback per it's developer. It turns our that there are some multichannel playback devices supported, but you might not be interested in them. There is also a unit you might be interested in, but the developer does not want to play nice in the sand box and release the driver code for the device to the open source community. Long story short there is no multichannel solution.

Jesus R

I'm going to start separate posts for each of the output modes in order to avoid some of the confusion caused by talking about to many things in one thread. I'll introduce the output mode and offer some insight on how best to use that mode. Feel free to follow along and post your findings as well. I'll continue with this thread for general information.

Some updates:

If you are using RoonReady please update your SonicOrbiter SE from /Apps/Software Manager by pressing Update. When the update is complete a link (Back to main menu) will appear at the bottom of the GUI. From the /System tab select Reboot. This update will allow Roon to send DSD256 via DoP and native DSD if your DAC supports it to your device. Currently the only DACs that support native DSD on the unit are: iFi, DIYINHK, Marantz / Denon, and Matrix.

Jesus R

If you are using HQPlayer then you are using the SonicOrbiter SE in NAA mode (has nothing to do with Roon; Roonserver would be on the machine that houses HQPlayer, most likely). Using it in NAA mode allows the HQP-upsampled DSD256 to flow to it and to your DSD256-capable DAC. I use Roon and HQplayer on same machine, and either a Playpoint (exaSound) or another pc as an NAA (into another DSD256 dac). Upsampling PCM to DSD256 works great, browsing via Roon remote.

If you intend to use SonicOrbiter SE in Roon mode (as a Roon endpoint), you are not using HQPlayer.

Some clarifications:

Jesus R

Jesus, not exactly correct. Here is Roon playing a DSD256 DSF file natively.

Roon dsd256.jpg

Jesus, not exactly correct. Here is Roon playing a DSD256 DSF file natively.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23602[/ATTACH]

Ted that was post 109 where I also said, "This information is subject to change as Roon updates things." I knew it was coming, but I did not know when. Then look at post 115 where I said, "This update will allow Roon to send DSD256 via DoP and native DSD if your DAC supports it to your device."

Jesus R

Ted that was post 109 where I also said, "This information is subject to change as Roon updates things." I knew it was coming, but I did not know when. Then look at post 115 where I said, "This update will allow Roon to send DSD256 via DoP and native DSD if your DAC supports it to your device."

Jesus R

Sorry, my bad. :(

I'm going to start separate posts for each of the output modes in order to avoid some of the confusion caused by talking about to many things in one thread. I'll introduce the output mode and offer some insight on how best to use that mode.

Jesus R

Jesus, are you going to post these here, I'm interested in this.

rogerdn

Update:

I just added a third option for a power supply:

Option 1 - Linear Power Supply - 120VAC, 60Hz

Option 2 - Standard Power Supply 220-240VAC, 50/60Hz

Option 3 - iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, and active noise Cancellation+

iFi-iPower.png

iFi-plugs.png

I have purchased a small batch of the iFi iPower supplies to gauge the interest. It's a nice option for worldwide use and I think it's a perfect fit.

Jesus R

Update:

I just added a third option for a power supply:

Option 1 - Linear Power Supply - 120VAC, 60Hz

Option 2 - Standard Power Supply 220-240VAC, 50/60Hz

Option 3 - iFi iPower Supply - 100-240VAC, 50/60Hz, ~1uV average audio band noise floor, for USA/UK/EU/AUS electrical outlets, and active noise Cancellation+

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23680[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23681[/ATTACH]

I have purchased a small batch of the iFi iPower supplies to gauge the interest. It's a nice option for worldwide use and I think it's a perfect fit.

Jesus R

Intersting, Jesus. I've been thinking about buying a couple of those iFi PS's. iFi makes them sound like they are the lowest noise supplies on the planet. Since you have lots of knowledge and experience with PS for audio, can you give us a few sentence "review" of what you think of them, especially in comparison to other power supplies you are familiar with?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Intersting, Jesus. I've been thinking about buying a couple of those iFi PS's. iFi makes them sound like they are the lowest noise supplies on the planet. Since you have lots of knowledge and experience with PS for audio, can you give us a few sentence "review" of what you think of them, especially in comparison to other power supplies you are familiar with?

I'm looking at it first from a functionality point of view because the power supply can be used practically anywhere. Clean power to the unit is important as well and I wanted to offer a power supply that was a great value. I'm very pleased with it in my system and I hope people will give it a try.

Jesus R