IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

I used one of these (see below, set at 5v, 2.5 amps) at one point to power my Cubox-i 4Pro. Currently, I am using my HD Plex LPS.

External Linear Power Supply DC for CM6631 Xmos DAC USB Converter LED Display | eBay

That could also work.

Jesus R

Mode #5 please

You need a computer on the network running Roon server. You can also use an optional wifi enabled smart phone or tablet for remote control. The server, the unit, and the controller need to be connected to the same network via a router.

Jesus R

You need a computer on the network running Roon server. You can also use an optional wifi enabled smart phone or tablet for remote control. The server, the unit, and the controller need to be connected to the same network via a router.

Jesus R

Great sounds like a very neat solution!

Thank you for the pointer to AQvox. I placed my order with you yesterday and with AQvox today. If all goes well, there will be two additional orders.

I have been engaged in computer audio for 15 years but this is the first time using a USB interface. I trust that Sonore has evolved a good interface over the years.

Looking forward to putting all this together...

What is the size of the barrel plug for the DC connector 5.5mm/2.1mm or 5.5mm/2.5mm?

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

Also, what's the advantage over running USB out of my computer into DAC? Is sound quality improved running through the Sonore into the DAC? I have a new HP PC, but sometimes my cpu gets overloaded and I get dropouts listening through JRiver. Would the Sonore give a "better" signal with no dropouts?

Will the sonore sonicorbiter SE work with a PC running JRiver, Foobar, Youtube, Itunes etc?? And how does it connect? Via ethernet from my modem??

Yes. You connect it to your router/modem by ethernet. You can use it with iTunes and JRiver. It has different modes, each allows you to connect to different types of playback software on our server.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Also, what's the advantage over running USB out of my computer into DAC? Is sound quality improved running through the Sonore into the DAC? I have a new HP PC, but sometimes my cpu gets overloaded and I get dropouts listening through JRiver. Would the Sonore give a "better" signal with no dropouts?

If you are only playing music and your PC is overloaded, the SO probably won't help. Many find SQ is improved with such an external device, because it is low noise, optimised for audio only, and has a quality power supply.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

If you are only playing music and your PC is overloaded, the SO probably won't help. Many find SQ is improved with such an external device, because it is low noise, optimised for audio only, and has a quality power supply.

Thanks Firedog. Using the USB out on the sonore box - I'd have curious > Regen > curious Regen link > DAC.

That seems pretty optimal - or is it overkill?

I received my Sonicorbiter SE the other day. I am using it with roon. Plugged it in and enabled roon via the webpage, and was streaming music in minutes. I don't think it was 10 minutes from opening the package to listing to music. All music I tried to play, redbook, hires 24/48/88/96/176/192 played without error. I was able to play DSD64 and DSD128 as well. It works very well, I was even able to unplug the USB cable mid song and the song just paused where the disconnect was and when I pluged it back in, then hit play and the song picked off where I left it.

I have had and tried PCs using foobar, jriver, media monkey in my system, MAC with Amarra, Sonos, xbmc/kodi in ubuntu, and CCA. To me this sounds very good. Sound is much better than a PC/MAC IMO. I personally feel that small music appliances hooked into a good DAC is the future of computer audio. There is no noise at all when listening with this set up, dynamics and soundstage are excellent. No drop outs, ticks or studdering. I had about 6 hours to play with it and listen to music.

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

I received my Sonicorbiter SE the other day. I am using it with roon. Plugged it in and enabled roon via the webpage, and was streaming music in minutes. I don't think it was 10 minutes from opening the package to listing to music. All music I tried to play, redbook, hires 24/48/88/96/176/192 played without error. I was able to play DSD64 and DSD128 as well. It works very well, I was even able to unplug the USB cable mid song and the song just paused where the disconnect was and when I pluged it back in, then hit play and the song picked off where I left it.

I have had and tried PCs using foobar, jriver, media monkey in my system, MAC with Amarra, Sonos, xbmc/kodi in ubuntu, and CCA. To me this sounds very good. Sound is much better than a PC/MAC IMO. I personally feel that small music appliances hooked into a good DAC is the future of computer audio. There is no noise at all when listening with this set up, dynamics and soundstage are excellent. No drop outs, ticks or studdering. I had about 6 hours to play with it and listen to music.

Sounds good. I just ordered one! I primarily use JRiverMC on my Windows PC. I'm wondering how to play things like youtube video from my PC through the Sonore? I could use the JRiver Media Center playback device which routes everything through JRiver which would send it through the Sonore - correct? Just want to make sure any of the music I plan on my PC will go through the Sonore. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Spence

I keep my video separate from my audio, for youtube I just look up the video on my phone from there hit play and cast it to my TV via a smartTV app, TiVO, Chromecast etc. My receiver plays the audio if I want it. I do not think that the sonore will handle youtube as it is video and audio, but I could be wrong.

I keep my video separate from my audio, for youtube I just look up the video on my phone from there hit play and cast it to my TV via a smartTV app, TiVO, Chromecast etc. My receiver plays the audio if I want it. I do not think that the sonore will handle youtube as it is video and audio, but I could be wrong.

It also states that for Sonore Sonicorbiter SE, there are third-party apps for your PC/and mobile device. Where can I find said "apps". I'm getting nothing searching Sonore Sonicorbiter SE software apps.

Thanks!

Thanks Firedog. Using the USB out on the sonore box - I'd have curious > Regen > curious Regen link > DAC.

That seems pretty optimal - or is it overkill?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Over at the Roon User Community site there are two early adopters having trouble getting DSD256 output from their Sonicorbiter SE units. Anyone else here having that issue?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

It also states that for Sonore Sonicorbiter SE, there are third-party apps for your PC/and mobile device. Where can I find said "apps". I'm getting nothing searching Sonore Sonicorbiter SE software apps.

Thanks!

It depends what you are using to feed the SonicOrbiter. If LMS you could use iPeng on iOS, Android has several good apps, or web interface on PC.

Regarding YouTube- on LMS there is a YouTube plugin that you can use

It depends what you are using to feed the SonicOrbiter. If LMS you could use iPeng on iOS, Android has several good apps, or web interface on PC.

Regarding YouTube- on LMS there is a YouTube plugin that you can use

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but what is "LMS"? I'd be running windows 10 on my PC. And I have an Iphone 6S. What program would run on the windows PC? And, are there a variety of apps for the Iphone outside of iPeng? I'm a little confused why there wouldn't be more info regarding this on the Sonore website. I appreciate any info!

Over at the Roon User Community site there are two early adopters having trouble getting DSD256 output from their Sonicorbiter SE units. Anyone else here having that issue?

One of those people is me. I think that the new build of roon might not have DSD256 enabled for the SonicorbiterSE, possibly that is the issue.

Thanks. Pardon my ignorance but what is "LMS"? I'd be running windows 10 on my PC. And I have an Iphone 6S. What program would run on the windows PC? And, are there a variety of apps for the Iphone outside of iPeng? I'm a little confused why there wouldn't be more info regarding this on the Sonore website. I appreciate any info!

from the SO SE web page:

Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with local storage. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a USB drive with your content in combination with the built in Drive Mounter application.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM and DSD/DoP.

in other words:

Mode 1 - Plays via LMS (Logitech Media Server aka Squeezebox)

Mode 2 - Apple

Mode 3 - MPD/DLNA - plays via a wide variety of well know network enabled playback software: MPAD or JRIVER/JRemote and many others

Mode 4 - playback from HQPlayer

Mode 5 - Playback from Roon and all its features, including Tidal and HQP integration.

You have to have one of the compatible server/playback softwares installed on your server e.g. Roon, HQP, LMS, and then choose the corresponding app pre-installed on the Sonic Orbiter for playback. You can generally control playback from the "main" program installed on the server PC, but most of the programs have a phone/tablet app you can use to control playback: iPeng or OrangeSqueeze (for LMS), JRemote (for JRiver), Roon App for tablets (installed as controller for Roon from tablets - their isn't a phone version yet). There are lots of others in the various app stores.

Information is readily available through a few web searches. Much of this software is free or open source, so "official" documentation can be spotty. But forums and enthusiast web sites have a wealth of information.

As noted by Sonore:

Running Logitech Media Server locally allows playback of local radio stations and streaming services.

Logitech Media Server allows you to use the unit as a UPNP server in combination with Drive Mounter.

There is a Software Manager that allows you to install and uninstall apps as needed.

There is a selection box in Settings/MPD-DLNA that makes this output compatible with the OhMedia - OpenHome protocol.

OhMedia - OpenHome protocol allows the Linn Kinsky and Linn Kazoo Apps with playlist support to be used as controllers.

The Drive Mounter app mounts USB drives.

BubbleUPNP Server app allows any renderer to take advantage of the OhMedia - OpenHome protocol.

Supports Tidal lossless streaming in Squeezelite output mode, DLNA output mode, and Linn Songcast output mode.

Native DSD is supported on certain DACs such as iFi, DIYINHK, Marantz / Denon, and Matrix.

from the SO SE web page:

in other words:

Mode 1 - Plays via LMS (Logitech Media Server aka Squeezebox)

Mode 2 - Apple

Mode 3 - MPD/DLNA - plays via a wide variety of well know network enabled playback software: MPAD or JRIVER/JRemote and many others

Mode 4 - playback from HQPlayer

Mode 5 - Playback from Roon and all its features, including Tidal and HQP integration.

You have to have one of the compatible server/playback softwares installed on your server e.g. Roon, HQP, LMS, and then choose the corresponding app pre-installed on the Sonic Orbiter for playback. You can generally control playback from the "main" program installed on the server PC, but most of the programs have a phone/tablet app you can use to control playback: iPeng or OrangeSqueeze (for LMS), JRemote (for JRiver), Roon App for tablets (installed as controller for Roon from tablets - their isn't a phone version yet). There are lots of others in the various app stores.

Information is readily available through a few web searches. Much of this software is free or open source, so "official" documentation can be spotty. But forums and enthusiast web sites have a wealth of information.

As noted by Sonore:

Thanks Firedog! That's a wealth of information. Looks like I'll be using Modes 2 (Apple), 3 (JRiver) & 5 (Roon). Currently in day 2 of the Roon 14 day trial. I'm pretty much a JRiver guy and LOVE the jRemote app. I believe there are settings I need to change in JRiver to output DLNA. I'll continue researching. As is the norm, I won't really figure it out till I get the box at home to play with. I appreciate all the info.