IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again Jesus @vortecjr

As mentioned before, I have the mRendu and LPS-1 in my main system, but I'm thinking about the Sonicorbiter SE for my desktop setup, with a Chord Mojo doing Dac and Headphone amplification.

The Dac's designer prefers the Toslink input of the Mojo unless you can have galvanic isolation of the USB input.

So my question isn't about the Mojo but the Sonicorbiter SE USB output.

If I use a 5V battery power supply like below, do I need to worry about adding an Intona before the Dac's USB input? Considering the low noise battery power supply?

Ally Series 20100mAh Ultra Compact Power Bank - TP-Link

To put it another way, does the very low noise of the 5V battery supply mean that the USB output of the Sonicorbiter SE will also be very low noise? Or will the USB output still be as 'noisy' as any PC's USB port, even though I'm using a low noise battery power supply?

Before you say just get another microRendu and LPS-1, there's no room in the budget sadly.

Appreciate your help

Hi again Jesus @vortecjr

As mentioned before, I have the mRendu and LPS-1 in my main system, but I'm thinking about the Sonicorbiter SE for my desktop setup, with a Chord Mojo doing Dac and Headphone amplification.

The Dac's designer prefers the Toslink input of the Mojo unless you can have galvanic isolation of the USB input.

So my question isn't about the Mojo but the Sonicorbiter SE USB output.

If I use a 5V battery power supply like below, do I need to worry about adding an Intona before the Dac's USB input? Considering the low noise battery power supply?

Ally Series 20100mAh Ultra Compact Power Bank - TP-Link

To put it another way, does the very low noise of the 5V battery supply mean that the USB output of the Sonicorbiter SE will also be very low noise? Or will the USB output still be as 'noisy' as any PC's USB port, even though I'm using a low noise battery power supply?

Before you say just get another microRendu and LPS-1, there's no room in the budget sadly.

Appreciate your help

How come that statement is not in there marketing material:) The Sonicorbiter SE has optical output, but I think your better off using it's USB. From my perspective it seems like a small group of people are using these isolators. The majority of people don't worry about these things and enjoy the units as is or at best with an upgraded power supply. As for the TP-Link power supply I can't say if it's ground plane is isolated from that of it's charger. That said...if you are going to use this second system at your desktop why not just connect the DAC to your computer directly?

How come that statement is not in there marketing material:) The Sonicorbiter SE has optical output, but I think your better off using it's USB. From my perspective it seems like a small group of people are using these isolators. The majority of people don't worry about these things and enjoy the units as is or at best with an upgraded power supply. As for the TP-Link power supply I can't say if it's ground plane is isolated from that of it's charger. That said...if you are going to use this second system at your desktop why not just connect the DAC to your computer directly?

Hi JR. If the TP Link is used in battery mode and disconnected from AC power, does the grounding matter? It's a very large battery so it gives plenty of hours disconnected from mains. So should that significantly improve the SE USB audio out, compared with normal PC?

I think the Dac's designers preference for Toslink is only personal and is only slightly preferred. In my main system I have a PS Audio DirectSteam and that Dac's designer also personally prefers Toslink. There's no marketing material on that for either dac but both designers are very open and accessible on their various forum threads - quite cool actually.

Why not go from PC to Dac? Same reason I have a microRendu and don't go from sonicTransporter to Dac via USB ! :-)

From a technical perspective, regarding feeding the SE low noise power , is there someone that can help? Appreciate your help

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Hi JR. If the TP Link is used in battery mode and disconnected from AC power, does the grounding matter? It's a very large battery so it gives plenty of hours disconnected from mains. So should that significantly improve the SE USB audio out, compared with normal PC?

I think the Dac's designers preference for Toslink is only personal and is only slightly preferred. In my main system I have a PS Audio DirectSteam and that Dac's designer also personally prefers Toslink. There's no marketing material on that for either dac but both designers are very open and accessible on their various forum threads - quite cool actually.

Why not go from PC to Dac? Same reason I have a microRendu and don't go from sonicTransporter to Dac via USB ! :-)

From a technical perspective, regarding feeding the SE low noise power , is there someone that can help? Appreciate your help

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

My concern was during charging. I think your going to like it and if you don't return it within a few days for a refund. I was only joking about the marketing material comment. I though PS Audio said all the inputs sounded the same;) Anyway, from a technical perspective the DAC will benefit from a lower noise power supply because it appears to uses 100% of the power feed to it to generate it's output. Also, single ended outputs are not as immune to noise compared to balanced outputs so you should feed that DAC clean power. BTW You can use a Uptone Audio LPS-1 with the Sonicorbiter SE!

My concern was during charging. I think your going to like it and if you don't return it within a few days for a refund. I was only joking about the marketing material comment. I though PS Audio said all the inputs sounded the same;) Anyway, from a technical perspective the DAC will benefit from a lower noise power supply because it appears to uses 100% of the power feed to it to generate it's output. Also, single ended outputs are not as immune to noise compared to balanced outputs so you should feed that DAC clean power. BTW You can use a Uptone Audio LPS-1 with the Sonicorbiter SE!

I know you were joking but another PS Audio fan reading this might not get the joke so I will clarify, all inputs do measure the same but theoretically Toslink wins because of it's relative immunity to RF/EMI and jitter is a non-issue with the DirectStream (same goes for the Mojo). They both say that interactions with other components may/may not affect experiences.

Back to the SonicO SE. I just saw John S discuss basics of breaking leakage loops in PC-to-USB Dac, in the Uptone thread. And he mentions using a linear power supply helps reduce noise, so using a big and relatively affordable 5V battery should certainly tick this box. Can't afford yet ANOTHER LPS-1 !! lol. He also mentioned the upcoming ISO REGEN or using an Intona which I mentioned earlier.

I'll wait to see the price of the ISO REGEN. If it's cheaper that the Intona I'll go with that. Otherwise the big 2.4 Amp TP-LINK intelligent battery will do nicely, to go with the SonicO SE. Should be a really nice and affordable combination with the Mojo - again not charging the battery while playing music. Should get 10+ hours of listening on that battery.

I know you mentioned plenty of people don't bother with stuff, but you can see I'm in the microRendu + LPS-1 crowd, where these things do matter. It's part of your marketing too !! ie low noise everything !! lol ;-)

I know you were joking but another PS Audio fan reading this might not get the joke so I will clarify, all inputs do measure the same but theoretically Toslink wins because of it's relative immunity to RF/EMI and jitter is a non-issue with the DirectStream (same goes for the Mojo). They both say that interactions with other components may/may not affect experiences.

Back to the SonicO SE. I just saw John S discuss basics of breaking leakage loops in PC-to-USB Dac, in the Uptone thread. And he mentions using a linear power supply helps reduce noise, so using a big and relatively affordable 5V battery should certainly tick this box. Can't afford yet ANOTHER LPS-1 !! lol. He also mentioned the upcoming ISO REGEN or using an Intona which I mentioned earlier.

I'll wait to see the price of the ISO REGEN. If it's cheaper that the Intona I'll go with that. Otherwise the big 2.4 Amp TP-LINK intelligent battery will do nicely, to go with the SonicO SE. Should be a really nice and affordable combination with the Mojo - again not charging the battery while playing music. Should get 10+ hours of listening on that battery.

I know you mentioned plenty of people don't bother with stuff, but you can see I'm in the microRendu + LPS-1 crowd, where these things do matter. It's part of your marketing too !! ie low noise everything !! lol ;-)

Okay you got me.

Reducing noice is why we have been recommending people get the best power supply they can afford. I really think this is the place for the most improvement and it should be considered the first thing to do. You are going to use the battery supply and that seems like a good options. Please report back on that.

I know people like to tweak things and I'm fine with that. However, I think it's important to mention that there are no mandatory accessories. My concern is that people are becoming paranoid and feel that they need to do all these things to get great sound:)

• 2 months later...

I just received my SOSE and cannot figure out how to control volume.  The setting in RoonReady is greyed out and the volume is set at 0.  How do I change this?  I have the Resonessence Veritas Dac. 

Edit: Never mind, it was set on SPDIF for some reason

• 1 month later...

I can see Sonicorbiter SW 2.5 available for upgrade in my sonicorbiter SE.  After seemingly successful upgrade, the unit still shows SW 2.3 after reboot.  Upgrading it and rebooting afterwards again and again does not help.

Is SW 2.5 applicable for sonicorbiter SE? 

• 1 year later...

I have just been given one of these units and have not been able to get it to work via SPDIF out. Neither ROON nor MPD/DLNA work for me. Unfortunately I am only able to use SPDIF as I am trying to use this as a ROON endpoint to by DEVIALET Phantoms.  Any assistance would be appreciated. I see light coming from the SPDIF cable plugged into the SOSE but get nothing. I have tested the cables and they are known good. I have tested the Phantoms with another source.. (TV) And I get audio output. At this point I must assume it is the SOSE. I have set the output under both ROON and MPD/DLNA to SPDIF but there are not that many settings here to mess up so at this point I am at a loss.

Any help appreciated. This is my first post so if this forum is not the correct place to get help, please direct me.

21 hours ago, Vedis said:

I have just been given one of these units and have not been able to get it to work via SPDIF out. Neither ROON nor MPD/DLNA work for me. Unfortunately I am only able to use SPDIF as I am trying to use this as a ROON endpoint to by DEVIALET Phantoms.  Any assistance would be appreciated. I see light coming from the SPDIF cable plugged into the SOSE but get nothing. I have tested the cables and they are known good. I have tested the Phantoms with another source.. (TV) And I get audio output. At this point I must assume it is the SOSE. I have set the output under both ROON and MPD/DLNA to SPDIF but there are not that many settings here to mess up so at this point I am at a loss.

Any help appreciated. This is my first post so if this forum is not the correct place to get help, please direct me.

This is the place...I was confused:)

Assuming usage with Roon go to Settings / RoonReady on the unit and from there you can select SPDIF instead of USB. Then press Save and Roon should see the unit. Remember the unit is limited to 96k via SPDIF.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:01 AM, vortecjr said:

This is the place...I was confused:)

Assuming usage with Roon go to Settings / RoonReady on the unit and from there you can select SPDIF instead of USB. Then press Save and Roon should see the unit. Remember the unit is limited to 96k via SPDIF.

Thank you for your reply. I am still unable to get it to work. I guess I will just have to wait a year till Devialet updates to their new OS that will with luck, will include Roon support. Thank you.  I will see if I can't find a good home for it.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2018 at 2:43 PM, vortecjr said:

I have customers doing exactly what you are trying so I know it works. Maybe some screen shots would help.

Hi can you please help me out I have the sonicorbiter se and it seems that it can’t connect to the router? I have unplugged it but nothing is working. Thanks for the help 

17 hours ago, Dimitris71 said:

No I don’t see it the led on could it Be that the plug burned?

Lets start again. This unit has a red power LED that shines through the plastic. If you have no lights anywhere it can be the power supply or the unit itself. The SE can only take 5VDC at it's connector. If you put any other higher voltage the unit will be damaged and no longer function.