IGNORED

Sonore Sonicorbiter SE - discontinued

Sonic Orbiter SE.png

The Sonore Sonicorbiter SE is an affordable PCM, DSD/DoP and native DSD capable device with Ethernet input and USB or optical output. This version has a fast multicore ARM processor and comes with a linear power supply. The unit utilizes an external 5 VDC input so you can also use your own power supply.

SELECTABLE OUTPUT MODES

Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPnP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with local storage. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD. This option requires a USB drive with your content in combination with the built-in Drive Mounter application.

WorksWith_AUDIRVANA-LOGO.thumb.png.0a8cb69fc2a5e94117e935f6ca2a42c9.png

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

RoonReady Logo small.png

Jesus, can you comment on how the μRendu will differ from the Sonic Orbiter SE, or would that be premature?

I'm guessing the μRendu will be a bit upmarket from the Orbiter SE?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Jesus, can you comment on how the μRendu will differ from the Sonic Orbiter SE, or would that be premature?

I'm guessing the μRendu will be a bit upmarket from the Orbiter SE?

--David

Dave, the hardware on the microRendu is different in that it's optimized for USB output:) The Sonicorbiter SE is a nice renderer and a great value. The software on the microRendu is similar in functionality, but void of the optical output configuration in the GUI.

Jesus R

Dave, the hardware on the microRendu is different in that it's optimized for USB output:) The Sonic Orbiter SE is a nice renderer and a great value. The software on the microRendu is similar in functionality, but void of the optical output configuration in the GUI.

Jesus R

When will the microRendu be out?

Jesus, when you say that it comes with a linear power supply, do you mean it comes with a linear wall wart type of supply, or is it something else?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

TY Jesus! Interesting how your reply became a part of my post.

Jesus, when you say that it comes with a linear power supply, do you mean it comes with a linear wall wart type of supply, or is it something else?

Yes, we supply a linear wall wart type of supply with each unit standard.

Jesus R

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Jesus, very nice. Will the modes be a first-come-first--served automatic thing or is there a web-based settings GUI? Is BubbleServer included (so as to make OpenHome capable)? Will it do/pass multichannel? What is the sample rate max on optical?

Hi Jesus!

This is seriously cool. By the photo I would say it's looks like a cubox. Please confirm if it's based on the cubox and if there is any change at hardware level.

Also could you position the product in terms of how it performs comparing to other sonic orbiter products?

Finally, how do you see the option of selling purely the sw image to people that alrady have a cubox?

Thanks a lot.

Jesus, very nice. Will the modes be a first-come-first--served automatic thing or is there a web-based settings GUI? Is BubbleServer included (so as to make OpenHome capable)? Will it do/pass multichannel? What is the sample rate max on optical?

Hi Ted, thanks. The modes are user selectable from the web GUI. BubbleServer (for OpenHome) and Logitech Media Server (for local playback, local radio and other streaming services) are included. MPD is included and it has software support for multichannel. However, as far as I'm aware only one or two obscure devices are supported and I have not tested them. As such the specification will not include multichannel support. I have the optical output working at 192 kHz at present and no way to test higher sample rates.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus!

This is seriously cool. By the photo I would say it's looks like a cubox. Please confirm if it's based on the cubox and if there is any change at hardware level.

Also could you position the product in terms of how it performs comparing to other sonic orbiter products?

Finally, how do you see the option of selling purely the sw image to people that alrady have a cubox?

Thanks a lot.

Mike, thanks. The unit is based on a Cubox and no changes have been made to the hardware except to toss the SMPS it came with and replace it with a nicer linear supply. The multicore processor is much quicker and the unit has more ram memory which allows us to do more with the system. It also boots much faster and the GUI is more responsive. Sound quality wise I will leave that up to you guys:) No consideration has been given, at this time, to releasing the software image.

Jesus R

How is this different sonically from the SOtM SMS-100? You named them both Sonic Orbiter. They seem functionally similar.

Some clarifications:

1. Sonicorbiter is the name of the operating system. It's a collaboration between Sonore and Vortexbox.

2. Sonore (my company) makes a Sonicorbiter named product that use the Sonicorbiter operating system.

3. SOtM made (now discontinued) a model sMS-100 named Mini Server that used the Sonicorbiter operating system.

4. Sonore/VB licensed the Sonicorbiter operating system to SOtM and SOtM is not involved in the development of the operating system.

The Sonicorbiter operating system is hardware specific and OEM agreement specific and therefore the versions may differ slightly in capability and upgradeability. On my products the Sonore Sonicorbiter (v2, v3 and SE) I'm committed to offering long term upgrades.

In terms of the SOtM sMS-100 if you have one you are in pretty good shape if you are happy with it's current feature set.

Sound quality wise I will again leave that up to you guys.

Jesus R

Nice little renderer - two questions.

(1) Which of the supported formats provide gapless playback, save for Airplay/Shairport?

(2) Is this really a renderer or a is it a player or converter? Or do you see no difference between those?

Paul, thanks.

On 1: In that output mode the unit is accepting a stream from iTunes. It will play accordingly...

On 2: This depends on the output mode (1 thru 5) selected, the output type (USB/optical) selected, and it also depends on the APP installed. I prefer not to think about it:)

Jesus R

Special Offer

COMBO DEAL

Buy an SOtM Headphone AMP/DAC and get a Sonoresonicorbiter SE for free!

I'm only posting this offer on CA and there are only a few combo deals available so act fast!

AVAILABILITY

www.sonore.us

Will the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE support Lampizator L4 DAC? How much is the shipping cost to send to Hong Kong?

Jesus - looks like an awesome product. Have been happily using a Cubox-i for a couple of years. This looks like the PERFECT endpoint for Roon software. But I digress...

Can you please confirm this does not support WiFi? Some Cubox's do. And if not, what would be necessary for an end user to get that in the SSO SE? Thanks.

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

Jesus - looks like an awesome product. Have been happily using a Cubox-i for a couple of years. This looks like the PERFECT endpoint for Roon software. But I digress...

Can you please confirm this does not support WiFi? Some Cubox's do. And if not, what would be necessary for an end user to get that in the SSO SE? Thanks.

Thanks. No WiFi. I'm of the opinion that nothing beats a wired connection. If you have a remote location you will need some kind of wireless bridge or a power line adapter. Here are some examples of what you can use:

Store - Networking Devices

Jesus R

Thanks. No WiFi. I'm of the opinion that nothing beats a wired connection. If you have a remote location you will need some kind of wireless bridge or a power line adapter. Here are some examples of what you can use:

Store - Networking Devices

Jesus R

Thank you. For the record I'm in complete agreement. However there is the "wifi provides galvanic isolation camp" that disagrees. And some people just don't have a practical way to get a wired connection near their DAC, regardless of its potential superiority.

So understanding options will be appreciated by some. Thank you for the examples of workarounds.

Digital Sources: Meitner Audio MA3 DAC, AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt, Roon ROCK (NUC8i5, Akasa Plato 8x case, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1TB SSD), UpTone Audio EtherREGEN, Tidal, Qobuz. Preamplifier: none. Power Amplifier: Bel Canto e.One REF500S. Loudspeakers: GoldenEar One.R's with Herbie’s Threaded Stud Glider footers, Focal Stellia headphones. Cables: digital - Wireworld Starlight 8 Ethernet, StarTech SFPGLCLHSMST single-mode 1310nm SFP module and Small Green Computer 1 GB FMC connected by Corning LC-LC single-mode 9/125um duplex fiber; speaker - Silversmith Audio Fidelium; interconnect - Silversmith Audio Fidelium XLR; AC - Wireworld Silver Electra 7 and Electra 7; external clock - Auralis Audio Duelund Pure Silver BNC. Accessories: Power supplies - UpTone Audio JS-2’s (no stock PS’s); OCXO clock for ER - Project Clay X Geismann OCXO 10MHz Emperor Signature edition 75 Ohm; cable risers - AudioQuest Fog Lifters; power conditioning - PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3, AudioQuest Jitterbugs; AC receptacle - PS Audio Powerport Classic, Block Audio C-Lock Lite; vibration isolation - IsoAccoustic Orea Graphite footers (amps), Symposium Accoustics RollerBlock Jr's w/Tungsten balls for DAC. Room: 26' 2" W x 11' 6" D x 7' 9" H, heavily absorbent furnishings, plaster walls, suspended and carpeted wood floor.

Thank you. For the record I'm in complete agreement. However there is the "wifi provides galvanic isolation camp" that disagrees. And some people just don't have a practical way to get a wired connection near their DAC, regardless of its potential superiority.

So understanding options will be appreciated by some. Thank you for the examples of workarounds.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. How do you then isolate the unit from the WiFi receiver which is electrically connected to it;)

For me this is really about simplicity and having a plug and play solution....

Jesus R