Hello everyone, my name is Joaquim and I'm 19 years old. As a huge pink floyd fan I got myself over the time a few vinyl records, just for collecting them really, since I never had a turntable...( Sadly the world tends to do this thing so called evolving and these are not so popular as I believe they used to).

Well this Christmas my mother fondly got me one to allow me to listen to these records as I so much desired. :D It was very generous of her because although surely it's price is no way near your guy's equipment I know it was not very easy for her to pay. That said you're probably guessing right that is not a high end one, I'll post a link at the end(but if I can't it's a ENCODER TURNTABLE ‘MEMPHIS’ (BLACK)) The problem here is, as someone who religiously dedicates a time of the day to calmly listen to .flac files on the computer I tend to be a little bit picky when it get to music. I obviously don't want to tell her "its not very good and I don't want it" but I want to make a good use of it.

The reason for me coming to ask for help being how can I in any way that does not involve spending much money improve it's sound quality? I am aware that turntable put out a little bit of static noise however it feels like its a little bit too much, I am assuming its not the records, since they were never played before, nor the speakers that it has incorporated since i get a lot of static in the headphones aswell...

Is there anything I can do? Do I need to be more specific in anyway? Thanks in advance I'll be waiting for a reply.

Encoder Turntable ‘Broadway’ (Red) | Bigben EN

Its the records themselves that are doing this. It's a very common problem with new vinyl. If you can get your hands on some used records in good shape, try them just as a test. Don't know why this is, but I gave up on new records altogether. Cleaning them seems to help a little, but not enough to fix the problem.

Hello everyone, my name is Joaquim and I'm 19 years old. As a huge pink floyd fan I got myself over the time a few vinyl records, just for collecting them really, since I never had a turntable...( Sadly the world tends to do this thing so called evolving and these are not so popular as I believe they used to).

Well this Christmas my mother fondly got me one to allow me to listen to these records as I so much desired. :D It was very generous of her because although surely it's price is no way near your guy's equipment I know it was not very easy for her to pay. That said you're probably guessing right that is not a high end one, I'll post a link at the end(but if I can't it's a ENCODER TURNTABLE ‘MEMPHIS’ (BLACK)) The problem here is, as someone who religiously dedicates a time of the day to calmly listen to .flac files on the computer I tend to be a little bit picky when it get to music. I obviously don't want to tell her "its not very good and I don't want it" but I want to make a good use of it.

The reason for me coming to ask for help being how can I in any way that does not involve spending much money improve it's sound quality? I am aware that turntable put out a little bit of static noise however it feels like its a little bit too much, I am assuming its not the records, since they were never played before, nor the speakers that it has incorporated since i get a lot of static in the headphones aswell...

Is there anything I can do? Do I need to be more specific in anyway? Thanks in advance I'll be waiting for a reply.

Encoder Turntable ‘Broadway’ (Red) | Bigben EN

First off I'd look for a forum that deals with analog primarily as opposed to one that is so centered on computer based audio. Here's one: https://forum.audiogon.com/topics/analog

I'm sure there are many others on the web if you do a little leg (finger) work with Google.

David

Unfortunately without hearing it for myself I am guessing but I will try to help. Static could be one of several things, one it could be the turntable is faulty. To test this try not playing a record but power it up and let the platter spin then listen through headphones. You should only hear some hiss when turned up really loud. Do you hear this static now or only when playing the record? If it's only during a record and the vinyl is new then it's likely as indicated above. This is static electricity. You can try removing the static itself with the use of a Zerostat gun or a hair dryer which has an ionizer built in. Your mom will be able to help with this as women often get static electricity in their hair so they use these better hair dryers to help. Yes you simply blow the hair dryer over the record. Do NOT do this while it's on the turntable as it can damage the turntable's cartridge. If you don't have access to a hair dryer with this feature you could try an in room air purifier or humidifier as these often help as well. That addresses the static electricity itself but it does not address anything that could've gotten stuck to the record from the static. You will need to clean the record to remove that. You can google how to do this in the kitchen sink.

Hi Joaquim,

that turntable of yours can record on a USB stick or SD card, so you can let us hear what it is you are hearing. That will help a lot in figuring out what the problem is and if there is anyway to fix it. Record a few seconds of a record so it includes the issue you are having and post it to a cloud storage site (such as dropbox) and let us know the URL. Please do NOT post an entire song, just a small section that includes the problem.

John S.

John - I checked out the user manual and didn't see any capabilities to record the analog onto the USB. The USB port seems to be used as a digital music source only.

BaNaNa JoJo - First, I've not had any bad experiences with "new vinyl", in fact it appears that a lot of the new better vinyl is being released on heavier higher quality vinyl thus providing less noise. Let's tackle these problems one at a time.

Static: When you lift a played album off of the platter do you get a lot of static noise (like static electricity being released as the album is pulled further from the platter). If so, a platter mat may be in your future.

Table setup: Can you adjust the tracking force (this would be a counterweight on the back of the tone arm behind the pivot point)? If so, then playing with the tracking force could help you optimize the setup.

Cartridge: Does it look like you can replace the cartridge? You would be surprised what a $15 to $20 cartridge can do when the manufacturer gives you something that's less than $1 (not saying yours is, but mass manufacturing and packaging does provide a lot of corners that can be cut).

These are the easy low cost items that come to mind. If you could provide a general idea where you live you might be able to listen to your vinyl on someone else's rig. One final thought, for turntable advise:

Vinyl Asylum

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

John - I checked out the user manual and didn't see any capabilities to record the analog onto the USB. The USB port seems to be used as a digital music source only.

It's the section titled:

"Encoding and Storing from Phono"

It looks like the file is an MP3, but that should be good enough to make out what is happening here.

John S.

It's the section titled:

"Encoding and Storing from Phono"

It looks like the file is an MP3, but that should be good enough to make out what is happening here.

John S.

Yes I see it now, you are correct.

BaNaNa JoJo - any chance you could record about 30 to 60 seconds of what you're hearing?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800