IGNORED

Roon / HQPlayer Integration

7 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

What length of delay do you have set in Roon for sample rate changes?  I don't do playlists but always found .5 sec helped Air work properly when changing sample rates.

As I am upsampling in HQPlayer to 24/192 at the moment, I do not need any delay in Roon and mostly enjoy gapless playback.

13 hours ago, arglebargle said:

Same here. Just tested because I haven't really used 3.16 yet as Embedded has been working so well. It was a problem for me in a bunch of versions of Embedded 4.* but cleared up with the most recent. This is the first time I've experienced it on the desktop version.  Before now I hadn't seen another person mention this issue, so if it's reproducible somehow maybe that will help. I'll generate some logs with 3.16 later to see if there is anything of interest. 

I moved the same fixes from Embedded to Desktop, but then had some other problems and needed to do further fixing. I have now made some small further changes in Embedded a19 build I have already migrated also to Desktop for inclusion in 3.16.1. Both are really supposed to behave the same...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I've been using Roon on an old PC and HQPlayer on the Xeon server in my signature to try it out. I have now built a new i5 Z170 16GB RAM server to host Roon, music files, and other software, and feed HQP on the Xeon server. Working great.

I am now considering two alternatives:

Without a NAA

This would be the current system. Roon on the i5 with Win 10 Pro, feeding HQP on Xeon server with WS2012R2 in minimal server mode and AudiophileOptimizer, feeding DAC.

With a NAA

I would run Roon and HQP on the i5, and turn the Xeon server to a NAA running WS2012 in core mode with AO. The i5 connected to Xeon thru ethernet. Xeon feeding DAC thru USB.

I don't do DSD and in HQP I convolve to 8-channels and upsample to 96k and using poly-sinc-shrt and NS9 and the Xeon is running at 75% load.

Functionally, the current setup does everything I need. But I wonder if the alternative with a NAA might yield better sound. What do you think?

cheers!

1 hour ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Without a NAA

This would be the current system. Roon on the i5 with Win 10 Pro, feeding HQP on Xeon server with WS2012R2 in minimal server mode and AudiophileOptimizer, feeding DAC.

With a NAA

I would run Roon and HQP on the i5, and turn the Xeon server to a NAA running WS2012 in core mode with AO. The i5 connected to Xeon thru ethernet. Xeon feeding DAC thru USB.

I don't do DSD and in HQP I convolve to 8-channels and upsample to 96k and using poly-sinc-shrt and NS9 and the Xeon is running at 75% load.

Functionally, the current setup does everything I need. But I wonder if the alternative with a NAA might yield better sound. What do you think?

I would go for option without NAA. It seems technically better approach. Using the Xeon as NAA wastes the CPU power available there and it is (IMO) a bit too hefty for NAA.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Miska.

For my learning: why is this approach technically better in my case? I thought getting rid of all the processing possible at the last chain link before the DAC, plus running it in core mode would be better - despite a Xeon for doing so being overkill.

happy to learn though!

• 3 weeks later...

Roon is now stopping after each track and not proceeding to the next. HQPlayer is latest 3.16.1. All DSP functions on Roon are disabled.

Playback is to an NAA, microRendu. Computer is new build, nothing else running: Win10 Pro, i7-6900K, 64GB RAM, music on internal 4GB SSD.

Music is mixture of PCM and DSD. Hangs occur on both.

Since I cannot tolerate the pops between DSD tracks, I run HQPlayer to convert all to PCM 384K.

Is this an HQPlayer thing? I occasionally observed it shuts down playing after 2 sec, ignoring Roon.

I tested this past week by stopping HQPlayer and running Roon directly to microRendu. The tracks (over 1200 in one playlist) have played continuously without mishap for many days.

Therefore, there seems be a problem with HQPlayer integration with Roon, not with Roon or microRendu.

• 1 month later...

Hello!!

I have a couple of questions in my mind. Let be this scenario:

Roon Server

HQPlayer (In the same host as Roon Sever or in another one)

NAA1 to DAC1 (DSD128 capable)

NAA2 to DAC2 (DSD512 capable)

With this configuration, is it possible from a control point select DAC1 or DAC2 from the very same instance o HQPlayer or, on the other hand, should we use a couple of instances of HQPlayer?

Could Roon (or HQPlayer) play in every DAC with its native format (max. format) or the lowest format (DSD128) limits the whole system  format?

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, acatala said:

Hello!!

I have a couple of questions in my mind. Let be this scenario:

Roon Server

HQPlayer (In the same host as Roon Sever or in another one)

NAA1 to DAC1 (DSD128 capable)

NAA2 to DAC2 (DSD512 capable)

With this configuration, is it possible from a control point select DAC1 or DAC2 from the very same instance o HQPlayer or, on the other hand, should we use a couple of instances of HQPlayer?

Could Roon (or HQPlayer) play in every DAC with its native format (max. format) or the lowest format (DSD128) limits the whole system  format?

Thanks a lot!

You can select NAA output from within HQPlayer, not Roon.

When you have Roon sending signal to HQPlayer, Roon does not know yet what the output is going to be. It depends on DAC capability connected to each NAA.  HQPlayer/NAA is in charge of the output and it gives feedback to Roon in order to show what the output chain and frequency is.

16 hours ago, bibo01 said:

You can select NAA output from within HQPlayer, not Roon.

When you have Roon sending signal to HQPlayer, Roon does not know yet what the output is going to be. It depends on DAC capability connected to each NAA.  HQPlayer/NAA is in charge of the output and it gives feedback to Roon in order to show what the output chain and frequency is.

Thanks for your answer, Bibo01.

From your answer, I think that from a Roon Control app, you can use multizone feature by using Roon Ready devices and/or Roon Bridges. So, if you use HQPlayer, then you control your output from HQPlayer, so you loose the benefits of the Remote Control app.

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

What do you mean, you loose? Your HQPLAYER will show up as a zone. Everything is the same as using Roon RAAT. 

Hello R1200CL,

I meant choosing from a control app, for example from an iPad, which output to use. Roon Core is configured to use HQPlayer as output, but there is more than one NAA to select. This selection can not be done from Roon Control app.

Of course, I am not taking into account the chance of selecting the NAA interactively from HQPlayer. I am thinking of a completely remote use.

46 minutes ago, acatala said:

I meant choosing from a control app, for example from an iPad, which output to use. Roon Core is configured to use HQPlayer as output, but there is more than one NAA to select. This selection can not be done from Roon Control app.

I think one of us is misunderstanding each other. 

Roon can only be controlled from an "app". Core one place, control interfaces as many you like on every possible computer or tablet / phone.  (well almost). 

You controll everything from the app. 

But you choose RAAT or NAA on the endpoint. 

Agree ?  I suppose if you have Roon + HQPlayer + endpoints, you see this for your self ?

So I think every selection can, and have to be done from the Roon Control App. (Control interface).  

Where would you do if you can't ?

I have attached a figure to better understanding of the point.

In this scenario, there is a single Roon Core instance with a single HQ Player instance. The stream from Roon Core is sent to HQPlayer (in the same host as Roon Core or in another one, i think it makes no difference here). HQPlayer can send to NAA1 (attached to a DSD128 capable DAC) or to a NAA2 (attached to a DSD512 capable DAC).

First question: Can HQPlayer play simultaneously on both NAA?

We have multiple Roon Control Apps, but we can not select from these Control Apps which NAA use to play, as far as I know,

Second question: Maybe an alternative would be to have two instances of HQPlayer, and a NAA linked to every instance, so from the control app we could select which HQPlayer instace should use?

If HQPlayer was not in the system and we only use Roon Core and Roon Outputs (RoonReady devices and/or Roon Bridges) over RAAT we could do select the output from the Roon Control Apps.

Third question: Could be another alternative an hybrid solution with an HQPlayer instance and a NAA (or without NAA if HQPlayer host was close enough to the DAC to link them with a USB cord) and the other remote DACs connected to Roon Ready devices? If this alternative was possible, from the Roon Control App we could select the Output device: HQPlayer, RoonReady1, RoonReady2,...,RoonReadyn.

I wish this time, with the help of the sketch, the scenario is clearer.

Thanks pals!

Roon and HQPlayer Scenario 1.jpg

30 minutes ago, acatala said:

We have multiple Roon Control Apps, but we can not select from these Control Apps which NAA use to play, as far as I know,

Yes of cause you can. 

What endpoints (NAA) do you use ?

As said each endpoint has to be setup to use NAA or RAAT or DNLA or what ever.  

However I'm quite sure HQPLAYER can only use one DAC at the time. @Miska Can you confirm ?

(= one endpoint)

But you can play simultaneously on both DAC's. Agree ?

26 minutes ago, acatala said:

If HQPlayer was not in the system and we only use Roon Core and Roon Outputs (RoonReady devices and/or Roon Bridges) over RAAT we could do select the output from the Roon Control Apps.

HQPlayer does not put any restrictions. 

What do you actually like to achieve?

41 minutes ago, lmitche said:

From a Roon perspective, Hqplayer is DAC, so each Hqplayer, NAA, and DAC is one unit controlled from within Roon.  If you have multiples of these units, you can control them individually, and play music from a single instance of Room.

Thanks Imitche, your answer is cristal clear.

So if anybody needs to select multiple remote DACs from a Control app in presence of HQPlayer, he/she should have multiple HQPlayer + NAA + DAC chains.

Or with a single HQPlayer instance:

Roon Core -> HQPlayer -> NAA -> DAC[1]

Roon Core -> RoonReady[1] -> DAC[2]

Roon Core -> RoonReady[n] -> DAC[n+1]

33 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

HQPlayer does not put any restrictions. 

What do you actually like to achieve?

Hello again R1200CL,

HQPlayer does not put the restrictions, but it seems that Roon does. I think that the answer is what Imitche said above.

Thanks for yours answers and your time.