IGNORED

Sony HAP S1 problem

jonesm

I have experimented in replacing the 500gb drive in my HAP S1 - in my case I am trying to resolve a problem that occurred a few weeks ago not long after the firmware update. My S1 crashed and stopped reading files off the HDD. When the 'rescan HDD' option is used 'some errors' are detected. This problem is not solved by changing the HDD drive for another - when factory reset the S1 recognises whichever HDD is fitted and reads the size of the drive correctly.

If I connect an external drive via the usb port I can format the drive 'successfully' but it then is identified as 'not available' when the HDD status option is used!

I can transfer files onto the drive using SyncBackFree and these are stored on the internal drive and visible over the network on my PC. However - the S1 itself does not detect any album / track etc even though it correctly displays how much of the HDD has been filled / is still available.

The Sony HAP Transfer software will not transfer anything onto the S1 stating that 'no file extension is selected' even though the app is set up correctly to transfer all file types. The HDD Audio Remote IOS app also will not connect to the S1 even though it is found as a unit in the App Settings.

I have run out of ideas for what fix to attempt. There seems to be no means to set the unit back to the earlier firmware to make sure the recent problems are not related to poor installation of the latest firmware. I cannot find anything online to indicate that this problem has happened to another HAP S1 user. Any advice much appreciated.

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jonesm. Have you resolved the problem yet?

I have the same problem on my brand new HAP-S1. It happened a couple of weeks after the latest firmware update.

Sony was of no help. I even tried swapping in a new drive but it seems like the unit cannot create the song database on the internal HDD and thus rendering both the internal and external drives unable to write any music files.

I tried going through all the resetting but rescanning always fails with your same error message. Sony suggested sending it in for repairs but I'm hoping they'll send a firmware update soon. However, I'm not sure if the update will even work with the internal HDD not being able to accept any files.

Gary

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk

Hi Jonesm. Have you resolved the problem yet?

I have the same problem on my brand new HAP-S1. It happened a couple of weeks after the latest firmware update.

Sony was of no help. I even tried swapping in a new drive but it seems like the unit cannot create the song database on the internal HDD and thus rendering both the internal and external drives unable to write any music files.

I tried going through all the resetting but rescanning always fails with your same error message. Sony suggested sending it in for repairs but I'm hoping they'll send a firmware update soon. However, I'm not sure if the update will even work with the internal HDD not being able to accept any files.

Gary

Sent from my N1 using Tapatalk

Hello Gary

I'm glad you found this thread and i'm reassured that someone else is experiencing the same issue - it does make me suspect there is a link with the firmware update somehow. I have not resolved the problem and have also been in touch with Sony who have given me the freepost details for sending in the unit to their central repair HQ <only way to have a hi res unit repaired> but I know the cost of this could be prohibitive in my case because being more than 12 months old it would not be under warranty. I have tried 2 different replacement HDDs and like yourself still get the same error. I can transfer files over the network onto the internal drive <not using the Sony HAP transfer app but via drag and drop> but they are not recognised by the player itself even though it can read that storage space is now filled. An external drive connected to the S1 is not fully recognised and doesn't become visible on the network. Very frustrating. The internet radio function is also not working on my unit either since this issue arose and just reports a server error. Anyway, like yourself I am optimistically waiting for a firmware update in the hope that there is a recognised glitch in the last one. Fingers crossed. If you have any success please let me know.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the quick reply.

I too get the same error message as you when trying to listen to Internet radio.

I might just send it to the repair depot and get it fixed as I've tried everything I could think of.

Will update you when I have new information.

Gary

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hello GaryC and Jonesm, were you able to find a way to fix the issue? I also have the same problem..

Thanks Mike for the quick reply.

I too get the same error message as you when trying to listen to Internet radio.

I might just send it to the repair depot and get it fixed as I've tried everything I could think of.

Will update you when I have new information.

Gary

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

Hi Mazolo23. My unit is out of warranty cover so I am waiting to hear the outcome from GaryC. My player has still got all the faults. I am still hoping for a firmware update seeing as this seems to be affecting the HAP-S1 units owned by several people.

Hi Mazolo23. My unit is out of warranty cover so I am waiting to hear the outcome from GaryC. My player has still got all the faults. I am still hoping for a firmware update seeing as this seems to be affecting the HAP-S1 units owned by several people.

I got my sony Hap from ebay, I dont think I can send it to Sony for repair other wise I would do it, since I only have a couple of weeks with it...

Hi Guys,

I am also having the same problem as you. I updated the HAP-S1 yesterday and it is now having the same problem you outlined. Prior to the update, it was working fine. Since, my unit is out of warranty, I am hoping another update would resolve the issue. Otherwise, I may consider sending it to Sony for repair.

Nadeem

It seems to be really a bad firmware release. A friend of mine is having the same exact issue. Also his device is out of warranty. Now he is looking to buy something different, cause his experience with Sony HAP-S1 was not pleasant.

Art is the elimination of the unnecessary. (Pablo Picasso)

I am trying to pursue this with Sony in the UK via a helpful person at their repair centre. Hopefully this problem is common enough for Sony to have been contacted by a range of owners. If a firmware fix is possible surely a new version will be available soon?

I hope to hear from someone who's player was under warranty and has had it fixed by Sony so maybe we will have information about what was needed to repair the player.

Thanks for adding to the thread everyone.

Here is a email reply I got back from "Sally"

Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that your Sony HAP-S1 has developed a fault seeing songs on the internal drive.

In regards to your query, please note that unfortunately you cannot downgrade to an older firmware version.

Moreover, we would like to clarify that your HAP-S1 is what Sony describes as an 'IWX' product. This term describes a product that is not economic to repair if it fails, and is therefore classified as an 'in warranty exchange' item during the one year guarantee period.

In the event that an IWX product fails during the guarantee, it must be returned to the supplying retailer for examination/exchange.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,

Sally

Sony customer support

Sony Europe Limited

That's crazy. There could now be a group of Sony HAP S1 owners who have units that are pretty much ruined after a firmware update which cannot be repaired at all. There is no way this makes sense for a product slightly more than a year old that costs around £800 new. If there is a no new firmware that will repair the players where do we go fro here?

I've had the most brutal time over the past 2 days since my HAP-S1 developed the same problem. I'm in Canada - and it took me 2 days, 11 phone calls to 5 different numbers to finally find someone who says they can repair my HAP-S1. Every time I called Sony - my call went overseas. They would give me Sony USA phone number because they said - after giving them all my personal info first - that they cannot deal with Pro devices.

That US guy was funny - he actually got upset at me when I said that since the last firmware update it appears people online are having issues. He said he has never, ever heard of this problem before and doubts it has anything to do with a firmware update. He gave me an event ID.

Then he directed me to 'Canada' support which was actually an internal number to complain about management privacy issues. Back overseas they said here is the number for Canada- which was the same USA number - so I said no not that - so they came back with the Privacy hotline number. Ugh. It was brutal.

Finally i got somewhere when I did a live chat. he said go to this website so i did. Yes! just have to put in my postal code. ok. I do. No repair centres on this side of Canada. Ugh. and, the only one that is listed - you have to call long distance. So I call them.

Sorry, we don't repair Pro devices. I was literally at the end of my rope.

She asked - why don't you just call the repair centre in BC (Where I live). I'm like - I've been trying for 2 days to find out who that is and how to reach them. She gave me a number of a place 20 minutes from my house. Called them - they said yes bring it on down.

They said you need the box, all original items that came in the box, and the proof of purchase.

I'll take it in in a few days and then report back with any progress...

Just wanted to add - I took my device in today. If you are in British Columbia Canada - it is a place in Vancouver called FusionCine. They are a Pro level Photography shop with full service and warranty repair capabilities. They reassured me that They do handle Sony devices outside of the Camera line - so - was told to wait for at least one week to hear back from them... Hoping :)

Hello! excuse me in advance for my English. I recently purchased this machine from Japan, the first time I turned on him he offered me to update the firmware and I agreed after that the device worked for 2 days and then stopped working. My S1 crashed and stopped reading files off the HDD. When the 'rescan HDD' option is used 'some errors' are detected. I do not know whether this was due to a firmware update. Now I do not know what to do? I live in Belarus.

Hello! excuse me in advance for my English. I recently purchased this machine from Japan, the first time I turned on him he offered me to update the firmware and I agreed after that the device worked for 2 days and then stopped working. My S1 crashed and stopped reading files off the HDD. When the 'rescan HDD' option is used 'some errors' are detected. I do not know whether this was due to a firmware update. Now I do not know what to do?

:( That is the exact same problem we all have. :(

I bought mine 6 months ago - so I still have free warranty repair so I took mine in for repair a few day ago - I am waiting to see if they repair it or replace it.

When did you buy yours?