IGNORED

Copy Lossless files from one Extenal Drive to another External Drive. Please advise.

I have 5000 Lossless iTunes on an External Drive. I have a Mac Mini. I want a second backup in case this drive is damaged or dies. Uploading Lossless to the cloud is not practical. I want to copy the files from the existing External Drive to a second External Drive. Or, from the External Drive to DVD disks. iTunes used to have that but they got rid of it. My computing skills are not advanced and I will not understand highly technical or complicated responses. Is it possible to revert back to an older version of iTunes that has the copy to disk ability?

Attach a second external drive of the same size and use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to clone your current drive to this second drive.

Repeat on a regular basis. Use CCC's smart copy feature to copy only the files that have changed since the last backup.

Optional but recommended: Attached a third external drive and do the same thing. Keep this third drive at the office, at a friend's house, or in a safety deposit box in case of fire, theft or other calamities.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Attach a second external drive of the same size and use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to clone your current drive to this second drive.

Repeat on a regular basis. Use CCC's smart copy feature to copy only the files that have changed since the last backup.

Optional but recommended: Attached a third external drive and do the same thing. Keep this third drive at the office, at a friend's house, or in a safety deposit box in case of fire, theft or other calamities.

Sounds good but I have no idea how to connect one drive to another through my iMac

Sounds good but I have no idea how to connect one drive to another through my iMac

You don't connect the two drives together. You connect both drives to your computer. In CCC, the drive you are copying from is your Source drive and the drive you are backing up to us your Destination drive.

You don't connect the two drives together. You connect both drives to your computer. In CCC, the drive you are copying from is your Source drive and the drive you are backing up to us your Destination drive.

Kumakuma's advice is fine, but you don't need to buy Carbon Copy Cloner. You can do it for free with the Finder. Just drag and drop the files from the source drive onto the target drive. It may take a few hours, but so what? Do it overnight.

Assuming that you are using USB drives. Most external drives have more than one input, so you can also daisy-chain the drives together with USB cables, but this works best if one or more of the drives has an external power supply that you plug into the wall, because USB bus power is weak.

Kumakuma's advice is fine, but you don't need to buy Carbon Copy Cloner. You can do it for free with the Finder. Just drag and drop the files from the source drive onto the target drive. It may take a few hours, but so what? Do it overnight.

I agree. The Finder should give you the same results although I have had large copies like this fail on numerous occasions and resuming from the point of failure can be tricky. I like CCC because it is a simple solution that gives me peace of mind knowing that the contents of the two drives are identical.

I agree. The Finder should give you the same results although I have had large copies like this fail on numerous occasions and resuming from the point of failure can be tricky. I like CCC because it is a simple solution that gives me peace of mind knowing that the contents of the two drives are identical.

Wondering if your backup failures could be attributed to lack of external power supplies on the peripherals. I have had such experiences when daisy-chaining HDD's, even with FireWire bus power.

Another option for Mac is SuperDuper!, a shareware program that provides full functionality whether you make a contribution or not. I use that to make bootable backups for all my computer partitions onto SD cards.

Wondering if your backup failures could be attributed to lack of external power supplies on the peripherals. I have had such experiences when daisy-chaining HDD's, even with FireWire bus power.

Another option for Mac is SuperDuper!, a shareware program that provides full functionality whether you make contribution or not.

I don't think it's power related. All of my external drives (five in total) are connected to my desktop Mac through a Firewire hub and are powered.

SuperDuper! is also a great option. I use it as well for creating bootable clones of my system disk. I noticed through that the shareware version lacks the Smart Update functionality which limits it's usability significantly and also results in unnecessary wear and tear on the backup drives.

rsync -r /Volumes/nameofdisk1/   /Volums/nameofdisk2

you missed an e out of /Volumes/nameofdisk2

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

+1

It depends on your drives and Mac. If you have FireWire or Thunderbolt connects you can daisy chain them together to the Mac. This doesn't really benefit you with regards to how you would transfer the files as much as just provides a means to connect to your Mac multiple drives to a single port.

Here is a link the might be helpful. It is what I followed when I first started to transfer my library from different drives.

Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
Using the Finder option to copy/paste lossless files you must hold down the 'L' key for the duration of the copy or you could lose some bits.
Can anyone else confirm this? I have been using Macs for over 20 years and have never heard such a thing.

I've never heard of that either!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Can anyone else confirm this? I have been using Macs for over 20 years and have never heard such a thing.

I guess that was meant to be a joke.

In any case, CCC does a great job. I agree it's basically just a shell for the rsync command, but I've been using it now for years and have been very happy with the usability (plus it creates bootable drives, if your main hard drive ever fails).