IGNORED

Which DAC

The Yggy seems exciting receiving one of Chris' annual product awards. Lots of raves for acoustic music, but I play a healthy dose of rock/metal and other non-acoustic genres. If I'm reading the threads correctly, it sounds better in balanced systems than non-balanced. My system isn't balanced. Only DAC listed without DSD; one of two without headphone.

The Hugo. Portability means it would get the most use of any DAC I could buy. Take it to work, take it home, take it on the road. But does its tiny size take away from its sound?

The Simaudio 280D. Its big brother, the 380D, is on the CASH list. Sim makes great stuff, though they're rarely talked about here. We liked the sound of the older model. (I haven't heard a 280D but its at my max price point.)

McIntosh D150. It's pretty and sounds good. Has volume control, though lacks any analog stage.

Benchmark 2 or the new Mytek Brooklyn. Full-feature preamps with analog stages; the Brooklyn has a phono stage and my girlfriend wants to add vinyl to our setup.

What do you think?

I have the Yggy. I use it single-ended. And it sounds Freaking Awesome! I listen to all kinds of music including rock/metal. I have no doubt you will love it. I have not heard the other DACs you mentioned.

However, if portability is a major factor, then perhaps the Hugo is a better choice, or you could get the Yggy and a Mojo.

The Yggy seems exciting receiving one of Chris' annual product awards. Lots of raves for acoustic music, but I play a healthy dose of rock/metal and other non-acoustic genres. If I'm reading the threads correctly, it sounds better in balanced systems than non-balanced. My system isn't balanced. Only DAC listed without DSD; one of two without headphone.

The Hugo. Portability means it would get the most use of any DAC I could buy. Take it to work, take it home, take it on the road. But does its tiny size take away from its sound?

The Simaudio 280D. Its big brother, the 380D, is on the CASH list. Sim makes great stuff, though they're rarely talked about here. We liked the sound of the older model. (I haven't heard a 280D but its at my max price point.)

McIntosh D150. It's pretty and sounds good. Has volume control, though lacks any analog stage.

Benchmark 2 or the new Mytek Brooklyn. Full-feature preamps with analog stages; the Brooklyn has a phono stage and my girlfriend wants to add vinyl to our setup.

What do you think?

I think you need to describe (a) what system this would go in (b) what you want for improvement in audio playback (b) what defects you can't stand in audio playback.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Great questions.

A. Gear

I have a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 pre-amp (http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1162320535.jpg). It's about 20 year old and I'm open to the possibility that something like the McIntosh or Benchmark would have better sound.

A VAC 80/80 that was upgraded in the last 3 years when a part blew. Here's a review of the original though VAC says the upgrade brings the output section to a level similar to their Phi components. VAC PA80/80 power amplifier | Stereophile.com

Focal Profile 918 speakers.

And I have a Naim CD 3.5 (Naim CD 3.5 CD player | Stereophile.com). It's a great player, but it won't see much use after the new DAC comes in.

B. Improvements

I don't think my system is the most resolving: it's a little "passive" in the region where a brush strokes a drum. But rhythm and pace are great. Of course, I'm also looking for a big improvement in convenience. CD's you have to get up about every 40 minutes. My ripped collection would go over 40 days. Spotify/Tidal could play forever. (Ironically my girlfriend wants a turntable for Christmas...I'll giggle a little every 20 minutes.)

C. Defects

So I'd like a DAC that is resolving, though I am not looking for something that confuses bright for detailed. Also, some gear has that "cupped hand" sound especially for female vocals. Mine has none of that, which I'm very happy about.

Hope that helps.

I think the Mytek Brooklyn makes sense. Not as classically pretty as the McIntosh, but very attractive in a modern sensible way. It checks all of your boxes except one. Has analog in, phono in, will do all the formats (Plus MQA decoding which might be important if MQA takes off, and hurts nothing if it doesn't). Contains headphone capability. The only thing it lacks is portability of the Hugo. If you use this as a pre-amp, control center of your system you probably don't want to be toting it all around. Plenty of good portable units for those cases without spending really big bucks.

Obviously haven't listened to it, but Mytek is a solid choice that isn't going to disappoint.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

What do you think?

MOON Neo 280D. Sounds fantastic on all kinds of music (including metal!); a gazillion ways to get signal to it (including bluetooth for background music situations); has both balanced and unbalanced outs (and sounds great with both); is built to the hilt; carries a 10-year warranty; and can be traded up to a 380D within a year with full retail in trade. (Disclaimer: I'm an authorized Simaudio dealer.)

Best,

Jeff

Hi shp,

If Chord Hugo is in your list, will you consider the new Hugo TT which may suit rock/metal music more?

Chord Hugo TT review | What Hi-Fi?

High Fidelity

While we're talking about Chord, there is the 2Qute to consider. I have both a Hugo and 2Qute, and think they are both great. But if you don't need a headphone amplifier or portability then the 2Qute is cheaper and has a better USB input (galvanically isolated and a more robust type - full size USB B). I use my Hugo with a Bel Canto uLink, whereas I drive the 2Qute from the USB input. I use my 2Qute with a MCRU linear PSU, as you can upgrade the PSU from the standard switching wall wart if you wish. I'm not sure how much better the Hugo TT is - I haven't heard it yet, but I think you will be paying quite a lot for the headphone featurs and the OP didn't mention headphones in his requirements specifically.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I think most of the DAC's suggested would be nuclear options for improving your sound but without a good quality digital transport feeding the DAC you would be wasting your money. What are you going to source digital from... Aries, Aurender, Lumin? FYI my Linn Genki hasn't seen any use since I started using UPNP streaming... so much better for sound quality.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I think most of the DAC's suggested would be nuclear options for improving your sound but without a good quality digital transport feeding the DAC you would be wasting your money. What are you going to source digital from... Aries, Aurender, Lumin? FYI my Linn Genki hasn't seen any use since I started using UPNP streaming... so much better for sound quality.

I don't know. I don't use a digital server here and the DACs perform quite well without one.

I don't know. I don't use a digital server here and the DACs perform quite well without one.

Wow... you really need to go into a shop and find out what you are missing. Start with a NAIM shop and listen to the NDX. It doesn't do Tidal or DSD

but as a brand it should be more accessible than others. I think you will come out with a huge smile on your face.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Wow... you really need to go into a shop and find out what you are missing. Start with a NAIM shop and listen to the NDX. It doesn't do Tidal or DSD

but as a brand it should be more accessible than others. I think you will come out with a huge smile on your face.

The servers haven't done well recently. At one audio show I attended, listeners were unable to hear DACs because the servers they were set up with had crashed or were not working! Makes you wonder.....

The primary music source is a Mac Mini. I would be using JRiver for ripped music and we currently have Spotify. I won a super fancy Kubala Sosna USB cable that I can't wait to try.

PS3 for Netflix/BluRay and DirectTV for broadcast.

My NAIM CD doesn't have digital out, so it would be connected as an analog source and probably used very rarely.

While we're talking about Chord, there is the 2Qute to consider. I have both a Hugo and 2Qute, and think they are both great. But if you don't need a headphone amplifier or portability then the 2Qute is cheaper and has a better USB input (galvanically isolated and a more robust type - full size USB B). I use my Hugo with a Bel Canto uLink, whereas I drive the 2Qute from the USB input. I use my 2Qute with a MCRU linear PSU, as you can upgrade the PSU from the standard switching wall wart if you wish. I'm not sure how much better the Hugo TT is - I haven't heard it yet, but I think you will be paying quite a lot for the headphone featurs and the OP didn't mention headphones in his requirements specifically.

I actually realize that better than the Hugo as an option is a 2Qute + Mojo. The combination's price is similar to the Hugo's and I wouldn't have to disconnect anything to hit the road.

I actually realize that better than the Hugo as an option is a 2Qute + Mojo. The combination's price is similar to the Hugo's and I wouldn't have to disconnect anything to hit the road.

Just got my Mojo and it sounds great. Highly recommended!

PM me for a great dealer (authorized chord dealer) with great prices for both (and no sales tax).

Jim

That's a good idea. I use my Hugo and 2Qute in two different rooms for two different systems. But for going on the road at present I usually take a iFi iDSD Nano player as the Hugo is a bit big.

I've got a leather case for the Hugo for when I take it out, but the problem is that interfacing it to an iPod Touch that I use as a transport. You need the Apple camera connection kit, and then either an adapter or cable with a USB A plug to USB micro plug. I find it just looks like a bit of a lash up. What I really want is a 10 cm lightning to USB micro plug cable and the whole thing would be much neater. The same problem exists with interfacing an iPhone or iPod touch to the Mojo and its small USB micro socket. It also needs some kind of leather case like the Hugo that makes it tidier to strap on a phone or DAP to play the music.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot