IGNORED

The recording of "Jazz at the Pawnshop"

• 2 weeks later...

- Real stereo effect can only be achieved by placing the microphones in a similar way to the disposition of the ears.

I very much thank you for posting the description of the recording here. Very nice.

I, being a nit picker, would note the above statement is in fact a misunderstanding of the whole recording to playback nature of two channel stereo. I made the same error myself when recording. If you understand stereo playback over speakers as first worked out by Alan Blumlein you will get it. In fact proper stereo playback should be done from recordings that have a microphone pair coincident, and not spaced like the ears.

Having said all that, the ORTF is a mighty fine technique, and as I was listening to this recording earlier in the evening with great enjoyment I don't wish to denigrate a wonderful musical recording that will last for ages.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@elcorso I am tempted to seek your opinion on the best sounding JATP, although I fear that I might open the floodgates😀. I recall cleqrly, that I first heard the album at a Nytech/ARC demonstration evening hosted by my local dealer and that I purchased a copy of the original album in 1981, on the same day that I bought my first Linn Sondek LP12 with Basik arm and cartridge. The album had a Rega sticker on the back on the cover. I believe that they were involved in the importing of the album to the UK.