IGNORED

Pioneer XDP-100R $700 HiRes FLAC/DSD/MQA Player

Hi guys,

Anyone seen this? It's Pioneer's first DAP and foray into HiRes and it looks like a killer device. Apart from being cheap and having FLAC/DSD playback it's also the first portable to sport Meridian's MQA (Master Quality Authenticated HiRes music format >

Pioneer XDP-100R Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET

Just to clarify ... MQA support is coming early next year with a firmware upgrade.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 4 months later...

This device has generally gotten positive but less than glowing reviews. And MQA being successful is by no means certain, so I wouldn't base too much on that.

From one review:

[h=2]"This is a complex and constantly evolving category at the moment and the likelihood of any single product landing the killer blow and being all things to all people is unlikely. Pioneer's effort doesn't change this state of affairs. It doesn't sound as good as Chord's mighty Mojo and in some respects, it can't completely better theSony NW-Z2. The slight lack of headroom and limited connectivity are things you will have to take into account when looking at the XDP-100R."[/h]From a second review's summary:

"The XDP-100R is an impressive bit of kit. It's not the best-sounding HRA player on the market, nor the most powerful, but it is the most convenient and versatile one we've ever used "

However, for the money, it's quite a good value.

JC

This device has generally gotten positive but less than glowing reviews. And MQA being successful is by no means certain, so I wouldn't base too much on that.

From one review:

"This is a complex and constantly evolving category at the moment and the likelihood of any single product landing the killer blow and being all things to all people is unlikely. Pioneer's effort doesn't change this state of affairs. It doesn't sound as good as Chord's mighty Mojo and in some respects, it can't completely better theSony NW-Z2. The slight lack of headroom and limited connectivity are things you will have to take into account when looking at the XDP-100R."

From a second review's summary:

"The XDP-100R is an impressive bit of kit. It's not the best-sounding HRA player on the market, nor the most powerful, but it is the most convenient and versatile one we've ever used "

However, for the money, it's quite a good value.

JC

Take a look at the HiFiMan HM-650 player (starting at $460). It has a number of very innovative features: the li-ion battery supplies plus and MINUS 7.4 volts and the HM-650 is not single-ended like most portable music players. Player Has INTERCHANGEABLE amplifier boards and HiFiMan sells 6 different ones for different purposes (not counting the standard card that comes with the player). Their top module, the $300 "Minibox Gold" puts out about half a Watt, and has frequency response of from 5 to 30 KHz +/- 1.0 dB and has a THD of less than 0.0003% and an S/N of -110dB!. It will even drive HiFiMan's top-of-the-line headphones, the US$3000 HE-1000! With that amp, 24-bit high-res music appears from a totally black background. I've never heard that before from a portable player. HM-650 supports the following file types:

MP3, ACC, WMA, OGG, ALAC(M4A), APE(16Bit/44.1KHz,48.0KHz,88.2KHz, 96.0KHz,192.0KHz) 16Bit & 24Bit: WAV, FLAC and AIFF (including 176.4KHz with the 2.004 firmware update) as well as DSD, DSF, and DFF file formats.

9527c8a59f6d76ac.jpg

Second picture shows optional amplifier cards.

500x1000px-LL-c0f1573a_650_1.jpeg

George

Take a look at the HiFiMan HM-650 player (starting at $460). It has a number of very innovative features: the li-ion battery supplies plus and MINUS 7.4 volts and the HM-650 is not single-ended like most portable music players. Player Has INTERCHANGEABLE amplifier boards and HiFiMan sells 6 different ones for different purposes (not counting the standard card that comes with the player). Their top module, the $300 "Minibox Gold" puts out about half a Watt, and has frequency response of from 5 to 30 KHz +/- 1.0 dB and has a THD of less than 0.0003% and an S/N of -110dB!. It will even drive HiFiMan's top-of-the-line headphones, the US$3000 HE-1000! With that amp, 24-bit high-res music appears from a totally black background. I've never heard that before from a portable player. HM-650 supports the following file types:

MP3, ACC, WMA, OGG, ALAC(M4A), APE(16Bit/44.1KHz,48.0KHz,88.2KHz, 96.0KHz,192.0KHz) 16Bit & 24Bit: WAV, FLAC and AIFF (including 176.4KHz with the 2.004 firmware update) as well as DSD, DSF, and DFF file formats.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25407[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]25408[/ATTACH]

Second picture shows optional amplifier cards.

Wauw...Sounds almost too good to be true.

This is a bit of downer;

Connections: Well it’s pretty Spartan. On the top we have a standard 3.5mm headphone out socket and the only other connector we have is on the bottom. The bottom one is a proprietary connector that is used for charging, line out and for placing in a dock. While I do understand why this is the case I’m sorry HiFiMAN but WTF??? Are you seriously making us use a proprietary charging connector????????? Yeah if it had a million hours battery life I wouldn’t be so annoyed but why the hell did you not let it charge also with micro USB? You know, the micro USB cables that are everywhere, on everything and everyone has in abundance. No you went proprietary so that means you can only charge it in the one location you have left your charger (giant charger) or you have to cart it with you everywhere. HiFiMAN I am very disappointed, get a V2 out and give it micro or even mini USB charging too, the 601 had it so why can’t the 650?

HiFiMAN HM-650 Review by mark2410
Hi guys,

Anyone seen this? It's Pioneer's first DAP and foray into HiRes and it looks like a killer device. Apart from being cheap and having FLAC/DSD playback it's also the first portable to sport Meridian's MQA (Master Quality Authenticated HiRes music format >

Pioneer XDP-100R Release Date, Price and Specs - CNET

Unfortunately the Pioneer and Onkyo portables convert DSD to PCM before playback. So a player like the Questyle is more interesting in the DSD playback category.

• 5 weeks later...