IGNORED

TIDAL Download Store

Just got this email

The store is open .jpg

Why not? If they have the files, might as well appeal to as broad a market as possible. I still like to download my favorite albums. If HDTracks or PONO doesn't have something in hi res, i'd consider going to TIDAL for CD quality downloads.

I doubt Tidal has anything to do with pricing. The record companies pricing is fragmented across the different mediums. Public Enemy's new album in Flac is cheaper then the CD and others the CDs are cheaper than the Flac. I'm just happy that there is going to be a good source of lossless music available. I'll be streaming mostly except when I need lossless music to DJ with.

I looked at a few: about $14 or more for CD quality. Pricey, if you ask me. I can get hi-res for about that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I doubt Tidal has anything to do with pricing. The record companies pricing is fragmented across the different mediums. Public Enemy's new album in Flac is cheaper then the CD and others the CDs are cheaper than the Flac. I'm just happy that there is going to be a good source of lossless music available. I'll be streaming mostly except when I need lossless music to DJ with.

An example comparing TIDAL flac download and buying the same CD from Amazon:

from Amazon.png

from TIDAL.png

I'm happy to have choice but surprised with the prices, which seem out of line to me.

First two albums I looked up:

Adele - 25

TIDAL 17.99

PONO 14.99

Pearl Jam - Yield

TIDAL 17.99

PONO 12.99

Their pricing strategy is curious. Perhaps they're banking on the fact that most of their subscribers don't know about PONO or HDTracks. Unclear.

In the long run, however, more competition in the high(er) res download market will be a good thing for prices and/or product.

Well, the great thing is to have multiple vendors for the same products. It's been a substantial benefit to have Pono come on line because that is sometimes where the cheapest price is.

Likewise, if Tidal downloads wants to compete -- then at least some of the time they'll eventually have competitive pricing - or other beneficial services.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

The lack of a store selling lossless music in Redbook quality at reasonable prices seems to be a real gap in the market. I keep waiting for Apple to do this but so far no apparent moves in this direction.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

The lack of a store selling lossless music in Redbook quality at reasonable prices seems to be a real gap in the market. I keep waiting for Apple to do this but so far no apparent moves in this direction.

Forget Apple. You can always buy used compact discs from Amazon, Discogs, or eBay. And, with a little research, you can seek out the ones with the best SQ mastering.

You can always buy used compact discs from Amazon, Discogs, or eBay. And, with a little research, you can seek out the ones with the best SQ mastering.

I do this already. I'm outside the U.S. so the best solution for me is to have the discs shipped directly to Murfie where they are ripped for me and ready for download soon after arriving.

A solution that allows for more instant gratification would be nice though...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

What I discovered from browsing the TIDAL Download Store is that track 11 on Judith Hill's Back in Time is not actually supposed to be one second of silence, but I'm not paying $17.99 just to get that one track in 16/44.

These downloads are roughly 7USD here in Malaysia, VPN it....