IGNORED

Help on Computer Speakers...

sorry for my naivete guys, but can this also be done from a windows based laptop to the jbl 305 (or other self powered speakers, as below) using a dragonfly red, iFi micro iDSD or chord mojo?

while i'd love to get the adam a5x, they're a bit out of my league, price wise...that said, the emotiva 4s and adam f5 also look interesting, in addition to the jbl 305.

You can do whatever you like in Computer audio and get Hi Fidelity with either a MAC or a PC as long a you have lossless music files (record in AIFF) or a lossless streaming account (Tidal) and a decent DAC and a pair of powered / active speakers.

As long as your source is bit perfect out of the computer (use JRiver or Roon or Foodbar software) on a PC then any of the DACs you list will give great sound via a USB port. Research how to generate bit perfect sound on the software manufacturers' forums.

The only issue will be that some DACs may need specific drivers for PC playback (available from the manufacturer's web site) and you may also need to get special connectors e.g. the Dragonfly has a 3.5mm output but the JBL 305s only have TRS and XLR inputs. Here you would need to use two connectors - a 3.5mm to RCA female and then RCA male to XLR. There maybe a better way.

Good luck,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

thanks guys!

new oppo sonica wls just released looks interesting too

so does the new german ramfeld series (but needs a bit of tweaking application wise)....interesting mix of active and passive speaker tech:

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/raumfeld-wireless-multiroom-audio-system-review#wwqZA5D7Pd3o8CLb.97

https://us.raumfeld.com/category.html

one comparative review wls systems below with sonos still coming in the winner (sonos still winning for easy setup...not for sound but plug, play, 'set it and forget it').

The Best Multiroom Wireless Speaker System | The Wirecutter

sonos wins overall, in the review, however, against other wls systems.

excerpt, midway down:

Oppo, best known for its Blu-ray players and headphones, has entered the whole-home audio arena with its Sonica wireless speaker. The Sonica supports individual playback or grouping speakers together, handles 24/192 high-resolution audio, works with Bluetooth and AirPlay, offers some basic room correction, and has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi support. In our listening tests, the Sonica sounded better than the similarly priced Sonos PLAY:3 speaker, with better bass definition and a clearer top end.

Right now, however, the Sonica supports only Tidal for a streaming service. AirPlay will let you stream lossless-quality audio to the Sonica, but AirPlay won’t allow you to group two Sonicas as a stereo pair. Bluetooth will work with speakers in a stereo pair, but then you won’t get lossless audio quality, which removes one of the reasons for choosing such speakers in the first place. We expect eventual support for Spotify and other music services, but we’ve heard no timeframe for such features. Given all of this, the Sonica is too limited for us to choose it as our whole-home audio speaker. But we will be testing it against our Bluetooth and AirPlay speaker picks to see how it performs in that regard.

It depends on what sort of music you like, I would think. I did a lot of research or as well as I could, on how different speakers *sound* - not on specs... I could not go try speakers as I live in the middle of nowhere. I finally bought Emotiva's Airmotiv 5's and love them. I think the 4's would be enough for you if you like them. In fact the 4's would do much better on a desk you are sitting at- the 5's are pretty strong speakers. They are very clear high definition and I don't even have a DAC hooked up yet. They are powered already- have small amps. Mine could use a subwoofer at some point, but that is fine tuning, really. I listen to everything from 9 Inch Nails (heavy loud enraged Industrial with a lot of deep tones) to soprano opera. The 5's I have are overkill for my small room and I can't turn them up anywhere near full volume without hurting my ears.

They are very neutral, and for my tastes I want to warm them up very slightly with a preamp, but that is only because they are my main music source. & my personal taste.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I bought kef x300a for my computer and realized I could no longer use my b&w p7 headphones, so does anyone know how to fix this problem?Ik now people generally use dac but I could I buy a receiver? Also how would how I should set it up? Do i plug the usb into the receiver then find a cable to connect the hdmi in to my computer?

So I bought kef x300a for my computer and realized I could no longer use my b&w p7 headphones, so does anyone know how to fix this problem?Ik now people generally use dac but I could I buy a receiver? Also how would how I should set it up? Do i plug the usb into the receiver then find a cable to connect the hdmi in to my computer?

All is not lost. A dedicated headphone amplifier can fix the headphone output, plus can act as a pass through to the KEF speaker.

There are many headphone amps on the market, but I will give you an example: Grace Design m920. This HP amp has an input for USB from the computer to DSD128 DoP. it also as variable TRS or RCA outputs with suitable adapters can feed the 3.5mm input for the KEF X300A. I'd say the DAC in the m920 is a little better than the KEF, but you can discover the differences for yourself.

For headphones of course, there's a separate level from two 6.5mm TRS outlets. You can use the rear TRS for a balanced output to your headphones with suitable cabling.

Essentially, you're looking for a Headphone amp with a DAC and the choice is wide now, even tubes! A dedicated HP amp is the way to go for the B&W headphones which look very good :)

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

All is not lost. A dedicated headphone amplifier can fix the headphone output, plus can act as a pass through to the KEF speaker.

There are many headphone amps on the market, but I will give you an example: Grace Design m920. This HP amp has an input for USB from the computer to DSD128 DoP. it also as variable TRS or RCA outputs with suitable adapters can feed the 3.5mm input for the KEF X300A. I'd say the DAC in the m920 is a little better than the KEF, but you can discover the differences for yourself.

For headphones of course, there's a separate level from two 6.5mm TRS outlets. You can use the rear TRS for a balanced output to your headphones with suitable cabling.

Essentially, you're looking for a Headphone amp with a DAC and the choice is wide now, even tubes! A dedicated HP amp is the way to go for the B&W headphones which look very good :)

ok thanks

i agree with one and a half that a combo dac/headphone amp/preamp would be the best solution in terms of overall sound quality and flexibility.

if you're looking for a cheap solution, you can go into the sound settings of your computer and change the output between the x300as and the headphones. a bit of a hassle, but it's free.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

The best thing you can do is know what sort of sound you like. Even if you don't want to buy passive speakers, it would help if you can go listen to a few and find out if you like warm or bright, colored or neutral. I live way out in the mountains and wasn't able to do that for a while and so bought what I thought were excellent speakers. And they are. The problem is personally I hate the sound. I bought Emotiva 4s powered speakers and I absolutely hate them. I would seriously rather listen to a $20 boom box. I ended up hooking my computer up to my stereo and buying passive Dynaudio's which I absolutely love.

These 2 speaker lines are opposites. What I learned was that I like very warm with a touch of color and mellow high ends. The highs on the Emotivas are too clinically accurate to me. They are forward and bright. The Dynaudios are laid back and fluid to me.

So, before you buy something, which may be very good but leave you uncomfortable, figure out what sound you like. Here is an article which explains some of the ways sound is described. It's not perfect I've been told, but it is a very good start;

Learn the Language of Good Sound

Is this just a case of going into the AudioMidi application (found within Utilies) or <Alt> click the volume on the menu bar and selecting the correct output?

I wouldn't (unlike some of the suggestions) but a DAC in-between your computer and your X300A as the analogue signal just has to be digitised for the X300As DSP to work.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Is this just a case of going into the AudioMidi application (found within Utilies) or <Alt> click the volume on the menu bar and selecting the correct output?

I wouldn't (unlike some of the suggestions) but a DAC in-between your computer and your X300A as the analogue signal just has to be digitised for the X300As DSP to work.

Yeah i tried going to control panel, but the headphones wont appear as a output option. I guess I will just go the dac route. Thanks

Yeah i tried going to control panel, but the headphones wont appear as a output option. I guess I will just go the dac route. Thanks

I think it should be labelled as something like "Built in output".

If that's missing, have a search through the Apple forums, etc. with Google. You shouldn't need another DAC if you're happy with the sound quality.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 months later...

looking for a pair of emotiva airmotiv 4S...would be replacing my audioengine a5+...i have a well reviewed

small pioneer sub (sw 8mk2) on the way for the low end/mids...small room, won't play loud, no movies.

so is anyone is wanting to let go of a pair, please let me know....

i think the S4 on my smallish desk with a musical sub will make a good combo.

I can't remember if i replied to this question before or not.

But, for really great speakers just go to ebay/amazon or any used equipment web page and look at any of cambridge soundworks small speakers especially the 'ensembles' original or later models or s-300 directional satellites.They are small very hefty and well built I still have mine use them in my computer system through my avr. This is henry kloss's company and the prices are very low were very underrated at the time.

• 1 month later...

update: bought audioengine a5+ and a pioneer sub...lovely combo...but they're up for sale.

instead decided to spend a bit more for some focal alpha 50s with adjustable stands as in pic from ebay (great bargain)...scooped 2 single new monitors for US$500...stands were US$50

Leave it to the French to kick the sound of desktop/computer speakers up a notch

https://www.cnet.com/news/leave-it-to-the-french-to-kick-the-sound-of-desktopcomputer-speakers-up-a-notch/

also just bought micro rendu and uptone ultracaps lps1....now considering checkingout Roon again (their new 1.3) or HQ player or other...this digital lan/software related stuff is a bit beyond me right now, but i'm getting there...albeit slowly getting there.

1316437957000_822493.jpg

I have Bose companion 5, very nice. Ok not common among audiophiles, I know and will take a cover now :)Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

------------------------------------------

hey everyone has a budget and a different set of values on spending money and where they spend it.

no probs bud....as long as you're enjoying them, is all that matters.

i mean my purchase of US$500 isn't alot for the focals, if i were seeking really top notch sound.

i'd have to step up to some $1500 genelecs for that.

we all have our limits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just read this thread in one go, and the first few pages were comedy gold. After a difficult day, it was great to watch a few folks flying too close to the sun.

Anyway, I've just ordered the Audioengine A5+ and associated hockey pucks. I'll give them a fair chance and if wanting,

may look at some Genelecs. Living on a hill in Arkansas limits my exposure to high end Audio.

• 4 weeks later...

currently got a microrendu/ultracaps power supply for my laptop ''nas''

setup (for dacs: ifi, mojo or dragonfly red)

speakers: focal alpha 50...going to try the 65s for more bass extension 

(on sale at a local pro music store)

i WAS to try the Naim Muso for US$750 but it doesn't support the microrendu or roon labs (my next trial)