IGNORED

Help on Computer Speakers...

Top 5 Best Computer Speakers of 2016 from: http://heavy.com/tech/2015/08/top-best-cheap-2-1-computer-pc-speakers-subwoofer/

desktop.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780&strip=all

1. Audioengine A2+

audioengine.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780&strip=all

The Audioengine A2+ is a powered 2.0 speaker system made to work best with computers, despite sporting the durability of studio monitors and the form factor of bookshelf speakers. These speakers have a very small desk footprint, especially considering they do not come with a subwoofer, and even without a separate sub produce a full range of sound. Although they are pricey compared to traditional 2.1 computer speaker setups, they are a solid value as an in-between product that touches on high-end audiophile quality. In addition to its analog 3.5mm and RCA inputs, these speakers also have a USB DAC (digital audio converter), which sounds great. The rear placement of the volume knob is an unfortunate design flaw, but one that can be easily overlooked because of its sound.

With only a pair of 2.75-inch subwoofers and 3/4-inch silk dome tweeters, one might not expect much volume from these 60 Watt A2+ speakers, but they deliver a surprising amount of volume. They get far louder than their size should allow, but will ultimately be drowned out by the din of a large party. They do, however, create an enormous soundstage with far-stretching stereo sound. Their frequency range of 65Hz-22kHz makes for a sharp and clear high end sound as well as a punchy low end sound. Bass is somewhat lacking because of the size, but considering this, is overall balanced and clear.

Its sound is particularly impressive considering that these speakers do not perform any digital signal processing, which other speakers use to give their cans an artificial boost in bass frequencies. DSP can ultimately improve a speaker’s sound, but more pure, unbiased sound makes for a more authentic listening experience. Plus, if you are hoping to get more bass sound out of these speakers, you can use the analog out ports to connect a subwoofer like the Polk Audio PSW10 and complete the 2.1 setup. Despite the high price tag, these speakers achieve audiophile quality at an enormous value, and as long as you aren’t trying to capture the lowest of low frequencies, the A2+ is an outstanding pick.

Price: $249.00

Pros:

• Bright, balanced sound without digital signal processing
  • Very small footprint
  • Supports integration of a subwoofer

Cons:

• Somewhat lacking in bass
  • High price tag
  • Inconvenient volume knob placement

2. Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1

harmon.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780&strip=all

The Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 speakers are an absolutely beautiful pair of speakers that delivers equally beautiful sound. The stunning and durable transparent polycarbonate material and modern, rounded shape are so impressive looking, they are the only speakers whose predecessor is a part of the permanent collection at New York City’s Museum of Modern Art. Everything about this pair of speakers is quality, down to its thick silver-lined cable and touch-sensitive controls on the right speaker. It also has a 3.5mm jack as its lone input, neglecting to add an RCA connector or adapter. The angle-adjustable satellite speakers can be articulated upwards to direct sound, and take up very little desk space for the sound they pack. The power button is unfortunately placed on the subwoofer, which is inconvenient, but helps preserve the unique style of these speakers.

These 40 Watt speakers deliver great volume, but product an incredibly rich sound with a frequency range of 44Hz – 20kHz. Its satellite speakers have a combined eight full-range 1-inch transducers, which weave together rich highs and mids. The low-end comes from a 6-inch downward-facing subwoofer, which does not provide as big of a kick as it could. All in all, that means for a truly balanced sound, as the bass never overpowers the clarity of the high end. These beautiful, compact speakers can be even more useful too, as they also come in aBluetooth compatible version. This version is at a rather steep price increase for this one extra feature, but if you are getting these for a laptop, it can be an invaluable addition to these fantastic speakers.

Price: $169.95

Pros:

• Beautiful transparent design
  • Full, balanced sound
  • Small footprint

Cons:

• Power button inconveniently placed on subwoofer
  • No analog input
  • Subwoofer buzzes at full volume

3. Logitech Z623

logitech.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780&strip=all

Though the now discontinued Z-2300 speakers are the true fan favorite from Logitech, its sparse availability have led Logitech to create a successor model, their Z623 speakers. True, there is still a chance you can find a used Z-2300 model in good condition online, but a new pair of Z623s will deliver comparable sound quality for about the same price.

This 2.1 system is attractive and compact, while still being able to deliver a massive 200 Watt sound with independent bass control for the subwoofer. The power button, volume knob, and bass knob are found on the right speaker, which is connected to the left with an unfortunately proprietary cable. This cable looks like a VGA cable, but is impossible to replace through Logitech, so take care not to damage it. Aside from this, the form factor for these speakers is spot on, and the speaker material resists vibration even when the speakers are at their loudest. All three speakers also have gripping rubber feet and a small overall footprint. Its RCA and 3.5mm inputs are easily accessible on the side of the right speaker.

The THX-certified sound from this speaker is phenomenal, with clean high notes and a warm mid-range coming from the satellite speakers. Even at very high volumes, they suffer from little to no harmonic distortion. The speakers also offer solid soundstaging, with more stereo separation than you might think they are capable of. The 7-inch driver on its subwoofer puts out a rich, clear bass sound, which nicely complements the clear high end. The bass can overpower some frequencies if it is turned up too high, but the independent control knob makes it easy to ensure the sub is complementing and not outdoing the song itself.

Mysteriously, Logitech does not list specs for this speaker’s frequency response, signal-to-noise ratio, or other crucial specs for comparison. This is presumably because it is outperformed by the Z-2300 with its 8-inch sub driver, but from direct sound comparisons you can tell that the Z623 is not that far off. Sure, the larger speaker will always offer a better frequency response, but the Z623 trades this off for a more compact design without heavily compromising clarity of sound.

Price: $129.99

Pros:

• Exceptional soundstaging and frequency response
  • Small footprint
  • Capable of loud 200 Watt output

Cons:

• Proprietary speaker connection wire is inconvenient
  • Slightly outperformed by discontinued Z-2300 speakers
  • Short cables limit placement

4. Grace Digital GDI-BTSP201

grace-digital.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780&strip=all

Grace Digital’s GDI-BTSP201/208 are an attractive pair of high fidelity bookshelf speakers that masquerade as computer speakers. They have a leather-like stitched polyurethane covering, and are available in black or white (the model numbers are different but the specs are the same). Source, play/pause, track skip, and volume controls are conveniently placed on the top of the left speaker. However, a USB charge-out port and power button are more inconveniently placed on the back of the speaker.

There is also has an RCA port in the back, which comes with an RCA-to-3.5mm adapter, however the most convenient way to listen to these speakers is through Bluetooth 4.0. Wireless Bluetooth listening is convenient because it allows you to place the speakers anywhere in the room, rather than being force to put them on your desk. Likewise, it is incredibly simple to switch devices, so you can use these speakers for a desktop, laptop, and tablet (just not all at once, obviously). One flaw of the Bluetooth connection is that the speakers automatically disconnect if no audio is played after 10 minutes, which can be troublesome for some styles of use.

Speaking to the sound of these Grace Digital speakers, these 36 Watt speakers absolutely dominated the expectations I set for them. They can deliver an impressive frequency range of 50Hz – 20kHz, which given their small size, is outstanding. Considering that each speaker only has a 1-inch tweeter drive, and a 3.5-inch woofer drive unit, so the sound won’t be enough to beat out a large crowd. Regardless, the onboard bass is solid thanks to the bass reflex tunnel in the back, though not as low as one could get with a larger subwoofer. Still, the mids and highs are crisp and clear, revealing musical complexities and generally brightening tracks with a full sound. At higher volume levels, the highs can be a bit harsh, but you will still be satisfied with this speaker at just a quarter volume. Grace Digital’s Bluetooth speakers have some quirks, but are all in all defined by their fantastic quality.

Price: $183.55

Pros:

• Bluetooth 4.0 makes for diverse listening options
  • Great volume and frequency range for their size
  • USB charge-out port

Cons:

• No connection for subwoofer
  • Speakers shut off after 10 minutes of idle time
  • Power button inconveniently placed

5. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

klipsch-klipsch.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&strip=all

Klipsch’s ProMedia 2.1 speakers are a boisterous pair of speakers that get serious about volume and bass. These hefty speakers take their sound to the extreme, and do so in style. The speakers are stylish, and and my very own pair looks great sitting on my desk. The right speaker houses the conveniently placed, yet touchy volume knobs, plus easy to access 3.5mm ports for audio devices and headphones. Note that RCA connections or any included adapter are absent on this digital speaker. The wires to plug the satellites into the sub are long, which make positioning these speakers easy, but the wire is also quite thin. A power button is sorely missing on these speakers.

When it comes to sound, these THX-certified 200 Watt monsters sound crystal clear and get unbelievably loud. At their highest volume, they do start to distort, but this is because of some unique sound modifications. These speakers employ what Klipsch calls “digital-hybrid-amplifier-driven” sound, which is just a really complicated way of saying heavy digital signal processing. This combined with the unusually high crossover frequency for the speaker’s 3-inch long-throw subwoofer means that this speaker can sometimes sound almost too bassy. Although the Promedia speakers already sport a solid 31Hz – 20 kHz frequency range, these speakers play like they exceed that, with incredibly deeps lows that are rich and booming. That makes this speaker an easy pick for bassheads, but again, some may be off-put by it, as even at the lowest bass setting, the subwoofer is on.

Highs and mids are present, but obviously has the show stolen from them somewhat by the low-end. Each speaker has a tweeter and mid-range driver, but the tweeters seem to be a bit of a high point, whereas the mid-range sound falls a little flat. The overall sound is rich, though, and makes for an incredible listening experience, especially when you just want to crank things up.

Price: $149.99

Pros:

• Incredible volume
  • Sturdy and durable
  • Powerful low-end sound

Cons:

• Touchy control knobs
  • Strange crossover frequency for the subwoofer
  • Distorts at highest frequency

@carewser can I clarify is that your post/opinion or are you copying from someone "in authority"?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

^The reason I kept posting and editing was to see what my post looked like since it was one huge cut and paste job. Now that it's done you can see the source. As for my opinion, I think the only speakers that will get any praise at all at this site will be the Grace and the Audioengines.

Here's another list from:The 10 Best Computer Speakers of 2015 | PCMag.com

The 10 Best Computer Speakers of 2015

325183-audioengine-5.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Audioengine 5+

ec_icon.gif

$399.00

$399.00 at Amazon The fantastic, audiophile-friendly Audioengine 5+ speakers sound powerful without a thunderous subwoofer or booming bass. Read the full review ››

434138-harman-kardon-aura.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Harman Kardon Aura

ec_icon.gif

$399.95

$254.00 at Amazon The Harman Kardon Aura is a great-looking, great-sounding, one-piece wireless speaker system. Read the full review ››

395960-kef-x300a.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

KEF X300A

ec_icon.gif

$799.99

$799.99 at Amazon KEF has struck gold with the X300A, a high-resolution active desktop speaker system that sounds amazing when connected to any computer. Read the full review ››

366747-edifier-e10.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Edifier Exclaim e10

ec_icon.gif

$99.99

$69.18 at Amazon The Edifier Exclaim e10 is a good-looking, simple PC speaker system that delivers high-quality audio performance for its under-$100 price. Read the full review ››

441942-polk-audio-hampden.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Polk Audio Hampden

ec_icon.gif

$399.95

$399.95 at Amazon The Polk Audio Hampden is a powerful Bluetooth stereo speaker set that looks as good as it sounds. Read the full review ››

421651-audioengine-2.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Audioengine 2+

$249.00

$249.00 at Amazon What the Audioengine A2+ stereo speakers lack in extra features, they more than make up for in accuracy and overall performance. Read the full review ››

426279-definitive-technology-incline.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Definitive Technology Incline

$399.00

$229.00 at Amazon Definitive Technology's Incline desktop speakers deliver excellent audio performance that is held back by some quirky design flaws. Read the full review ››

427929-jbl-series-3-lsr305.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

JBL Series 3 LSR305

$199.99

$319.99 at Amazon The JBL Series 3 LSR305 speakers deliver powerful, accurate audio performance with rich lows and a focus on the high-mid range. Read the full review ››

429263-m-audio-bx5-carbon.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

M-Audio BX5 Carbon

$149.99

$148.06 at Amazon The M-Audio BX5 Carbon studio monitor speakers deliver accurate, dependable audio in an affordable price range. Read the full review ››

457222-razer-leviathan.jpg?thumb=y&width=165

Razer Leviathan

$199.99

$169.99 at Amazon The Razer Leviathan puts out large sound for such a small speaker system, but its lack of a remote makes it better suited for your desk than your home theater. Read the full review ››

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the people here don't want to listen to some newcomer at this site go on about how great his Logitech speakers are so i'll let a couple of professional reviewers give their opinions:

"The Z623, simply put, sounds awesome. Film scores from Bernard Hermann sound crisp and foreboding, with deep lows from the strings beautifully represented by the sub and the satellite drivers. Music with deeper bass, like the Knife's "Silent Shout," sounds closer to what the musicians had in mind—powerful-but-well-defined low end—than most 2.1 systems under $200 can deliver. When you blast the system and turn the bass all the way up, you won't hear any distortion—but, again, you'll want to secure fragile items nearby. With each satellite delivering 35 watts and the sub pumping out 130, the Z623 is definitely loud enough for your next party. At moderate and even low levels, it conveys music and dialogue beautifully."-PCMag.com

"The sound is deep and rich, and the most 'three-dimensional' we've ever heard from a 2.1 system. Even coming from a laptop's dubious-quality in-built sound card, the sounds of gunfire in our favourite FPS seemed to come from all around us. How soothing. They have to be heard to be believed though, and despite our reservations about the THX certification, it actually seems to mean something here. These come highly recommended."-TechRadar.com

They cost me $138 CAN with tax and everything

I understand the people here don't want to listen to some newcomer at this site go on about how great his Logitech speakers are so i'll let a couple of professional reviewers give their opinions:

"The Z623, simply put, sounds awesome. Film scores from Bernard Hermann sound crisp and foreboding, with deep lows from the strings beautifully represented by the sub and the satellite drivers. Music with deeper bass, like the Knife's "Silent Shout," sounds closer to what the musicians had in mind—powerful-but-well-defined low end—than most 2.1 systems under $200 can deliver. When you blast the system and turn the bass all the way up, you won't hear any distortion—but, again, you'll want to secure fragile items nearby. With each satellite delivering 35 watts and the sub pumping out 130, the Z623 is definitely loud enough for your next party. At moderate and even low levels, it conveys music and dialogue beautifully."-PCMag.com

"The sound is deep and rich, and the most 'three-dimensional' we've ever heard from a 2.1 system. Even coming from a laptop's dubious-quality in-built sound card, the sounds of gunfire in our favourite FPS seemed to come from all around us. How soothing. They have to be heard to be believed though, and despite our reservations about the THX certification, it actually seems to mean something here. These come highly recommended."-TechRadar.com

They cost me $138 CAN with tax and everything

Glad that you like your speakers but I'm not sure how many people are going to be swayed by reviews from 2010 and 2012.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I have AVI ADMRS9 active speakers for my home office. Newer model available now. They are superb quality at any volume but are not cheap. Second hand will set you back about €1000. I work from home a bit so think they are worth it. They are a small UK based company which generate the most hilarious argument online between the passive vs active community due to their very outspoken founder. Anyway they get a big thumbs up from me.

• 2 weeks later...

While I'm not really an expert on this subject, I can say that what you're mostly looking for with your criteria (I'm using the computer for work, and listening to music in the background, or sometimes watching movies on it while waiting for an email/call), maybe you'd want a pair of Yamaha HS8s.

As a music producer, this is a low-cost solution to all my listening problems. I know it's more for analytical listening. But for daily use from work to leisure (I've been watching movies with these monitors too), I believe they're a great setup for your Mac.

It's not too expensive too, making it a great choice for your parameters. Well, it's just a guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a pair of good quality active monitors for my son's desktop, which can later be used for a home recoding studio. He is an accomplished musician and currently in boarding school. He has his own room which is very small being only 7' x 9'.

After reading this thread and pursuing other reviews the JBL-LSR305's appear to fit the bill nicely, and with a 5" woofer he will not require a sub while at school. However, when he returns home at the end of next year if needed I could easily add a sub for his studio / bedroom. I would intend for this "system" to last him through his school and university (college) days. He is an accomplished singer and guitarist so it is important that I purchase something that is decent quality but not too expensive.

My issue is that I have an old dragon fly DAC with a 3.5mm out that I intend giving him, however, the inputs into the JBL's are only Balanced XLR or 6 mm TRS. There are no RCAs.

Does anyone know how best to connect the dragonfly to the JBL's without too much loss in resolution by having two many conversions? I am aware of the 3.5mm to RCA "Y" cables is there such a thing as a 3.5mm to TRS "Y" cable?

Thanks in advance,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Ajax, the JBL LSR305's aren't computer speakers, they're powered studio monitors. Even though this site is "computer audiophile", virtually no one here has any interest in computer speakers.

Hi Carewser,

I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Most (not all) members of this forum use a computer as their source, which they then convert into music by any manner of ways normally (but not always) via a USB port including:

... attaching a DAC > Preamp > Power amp > passive speakers or

... DAC/preamp combination > power amp . passive speakers or

... DAC/preamp > active or powered speakers or

--- directly attaching a Genelec type speaker which embosses all of the above

All of the above are legitimate ways of transferring the os and 1s of a music file into a voltage (using a DAC) and finally into sound waves (using a preamp/poweramp/speaker) and which path you choose is very much governed by personal choice and the limitations imposed by budget and room size.

I have been enjoying incredible sound using active speakers (Adam A7) connected to my computer via a Benchmark HDR DAC for the past 6 years, so yes active or powered speakers are very much "computer speakers" in the context with which I think you are using the term. In fact any speaker can be a "computer speaker" so to speak.

Does anyone know how best to connect the dragonfly to the JBL's without too much loss in resolution by having two many conversions? I am aware of the 3.5mm to RCA "Y" cables is there such a thing as a 3.5mm to TRS "Y" cable?

I've got a pair of JBL LSR305s and I bought this 3.5 mm jack to XLR cable from Amazon:

Van Damme 103-330-700 1m Right Angle Stereo Mini Jack to 2x Neutrik Male XLR NC3MXX Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

Look at the name of the thread.

What you posted has nothing to do with it although you're definitely at the right website. I on the other hand don't belong here as evidenced by the fact I don't even know what a DAC is.

Hi Carewser,

A couple of thoughts for you to consider.

Your tone and general attitude is not going to win you any friends here, or any other forum, or for that manner in your social or professional life. This is sad for you as you will find it very hard to get help and therefore to learn. You have already been chastised earlier in this thread.

e.g. you state to me "Look at the name of the thread" while at the same time the original OP (please read it again) actually refers to the term "DAC" and also active and powered speakers. You obviously did not understand any of what he was asking as you don't know what a DAC is and you don't understand how powered and active speakers relate to computer audio.

FYI a DAC is a devise that turns digital into analogue. Whether you use the cheap DAC already installed inside the devise (computer or TV or whatever) or you buy a devise specially manufactured for the sole purpose of converting digital into analogue will have large bearing on the quality of the sound.

You are arguing a point (inexpensive logitech speakers are great value) to a group of very competent people with many years experience listening to hi-end audio by siting lists put together by who knows who without any research from yourself. Such lists have no credence here.

By now you will be very pissed at me but I ask that you to take on board what I have said with the goodwill with which it is intended because if you are really interested in audio and are prepared to learn and be respectful then CA will very much be the right website for you.

Before responding to these comments please take the time to improve your knowledge and read some more about digital audio on these sites:

The Well-Tempered Computer

Computer Audio

Also Google - computer audio, DAC, digital audio etc...

Please understand that most here are happy to help those that make the effort to help themselves and have the courage to say I don't know instead of pushing their viewpoint without the necessary knowledge to substantiate it.

I look forward to assisting you on your audio journey.

Good luck and all the best,

Ajax

I've got a pair of JBL LSR305s and I bought this 3.5 mm jack to XLR cable from Amazon:

Van Damme 103-330-700 1m Right Angle Stereo Mini Jack to 2x Neutrik Male XLR NC3MXX Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for the link - just what I was looking for.

Ajax

My desk and our son's at home, which I use as he is away at university, is much smaller than most of those offering suggestions.

Carewser's lists pasted don't qualify as expert, personal suggestions, of course! At least they are responsive to the use-case and give others are starting point to research. (Not commenting on tone nor attitude.)

There is a difference, I hypothesize, between speakers for a small room and those for desktop near-field listening whilst sitting at one's desk.

Hi Carewser,

A couple of thoughts for you to consider.

Your tone and general attitude is not going to win you any friends here, or any other forum, or for that manner in your social or professional life. This is sad for you as you will find it very hard to get help and therefore to learn. You have already been chastised earlier in this thread.

e.g. you state to me "Look at the name of the thread" while at the same time the original OP (please read it again) actually refers to the term "DAC" and also active and powered speakers. You obviously did not understand any of what he was asking as you don't know what a DAC is and you don't understand how powered and active speakers relate to computer audio.

FYI a DAC is a devise that turns digital into analogue. Whether you use the cheap DAC already installed inside the devise (computer or TV or whatever) or you buy a devise specially manufactured for the sole purpose of converting digital into analogue will have large bearing on the quality of the sound.

You are arguing a point (inexpensive logitech speakers are great value) to a group of very competent people with many years experience listening to hi-end audio by siting lists put together by who knows who without any research from yourself. Such lists have no credence here.

By now you will be very pissed at me but I ask that you to take on board what I have said with the goodwill with which it is intended because if you are really interested in audio and are prepared to learn and be respectful then CA will very much be the right website for you.

Before responding to these comments please take the time to improve your knowledge and read some more about digital audio on these sites:

The Well-Tempered Computer

Computer Audio

Also Google - computer audio, DAC, digital audio etc...

Please understand that most here are happy to help those that make the effort to help themselves and have the courage to say I don't know instead of pushing their viewpoint without the necessary knowledge to substantiate it.

I look forward to assisting you on your audio journey.

Good luck and all the best,

Ajax

Putting aside a couple of minor things, this is a great post.

I'm not sure where I was previously chastised though so could you copy and paste that for me please. My "tone and general attitude" are not for everyone as some find my bluntness and honesty off-putting (assuming that's what you're referring to) although this has been a much bigger problem for me with women than it has men.

Your schooling me on what a DAC is was uncalled for as I never asked, but people often assume that when someone says they don't know something that others think that means they want to learn. While not irrational, it's still a bit of a leap. I however have no interest in learning what a DAC is because I can't afford to buy one although your point about the OP was otherwise valid, much of it was mumbo jumbo to me. Your assumption that your post would anger me is also incorrect as I took it in the vein it was intended, like I said, with these quibbles aside. You've proven to me I don't belong here Ajax but I have nothing but good thoughts and feelings about the people here, I just can't begin to afford the types of equipment the others here have so there's not much point in my continuing here.

Putting aside a couple of minor things, this is a great post.

I'm not sure where I was previously chastised though so could you copy and paste that for me please. My "tone and general attitude" are not for everyone as some find my bluntness and honesty off-putting (assuming that's what you're referring to) although this has been a much bigger problem for me with women than it has men.

Your schooling me on what a DAC is was uncalled for as I never asked, but people often assume that when someone says they don't know something that others think that means they want to learn. While not irrational, it's still a bit of a leap. I however have no interest in learning what a DAC is because I can't afford to buy one although your point about the OP was otherwise valid, much of it was mumbo jumbo to me. Your assumption that your post would anger me is also incorrect as I took it in the vein it was intended, like I said, with these quibbles aside. You've proven to me I don't belong here Ajax but I have nothing but good thoughts and feelings about the people here, I just can't begin to afford the types of equipment the others here have so there's not much point in my continuing here.

Hi Carewser,

Lets me respond to your points as best I can but before I do I'm glad you accepted my comments in good faith.

With regard to you being previously chastised check out posts 29 & 71.

I think you are confusing bluntness and honesty with rudeness and ignorance.

A DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) is the very basis of Computer Audio as it literally turns a digital music file into into a voltage ready for an amplifier / speaker, and that is why I took the trouble to explain the term to you and posted the links to web sites where you can learn more. FYI I purchased a DAC the other day to take the digital optical out of my TV to a pair of powered speakers - cost $A40 = $US30 and it sounds great.

You could purchase a pair of JBL LSR305 speakers with that DAC and run it out of your MAC's optical outlet, which is shared with the headphone outlet, for around $US400 total system price and have the beginnings of a great sounding HIFI System. One where a guitar sounds like a guitar and a snare drum sounds like a snare drum etc etc.

For me this site is about sharing experiences while learning from those much more knowledgeable than I as well as enjoying each others company.

The bottom line is that if you really do not want to learn then yes unfortunately you are in the wrong place.

Good Luck

Ajax

Your schooling me on what a DAC is was uncalled for as I never asked...

One could argue that posting a lack of knowledge to an internet forum devoted to a subject is an implicit agreement to be "schooled" on that subject, however...

I however have no interest in learning what a DAC is...

Clearly, as you didn't learn from Ajax's response that YOU ALREADY HAVE A DAC. You can't get music out of a computer without one. Yours happens to be resident on your machines' sound card.

...because I can't afford to buy one... so there's not much point in my continuing here.

Well, as already mentioned, you already have a DAC. You seem to have come here with one very specific idea of what this site is all about. I think the person who started this site has a very different idea, as evidenced by his multiple (and extremely helpful) articles and posts. The virtual community that has grown up around Chris' ideas by and large shares his goals. The main goal is, how do we get the best sound in our listening environments, using a computer as a source? Obviously this is all done within an individual's budget, which can vary widely. Having said that, if one's idea of computer audiophile is not getting the best sound quality one can within one's budget, than maybe this isn't the best place for a person.

Please note I am not saying that is the case with you. Maybe you truly feel that Logitech is the best you can do right now within your budget. I'd challenge you to try to listen to the JBL monitors referenced. You can hear them at Guitar Center. I'd be very surprised if you don't hear a difference. If the difference you hear is important enough to you to look to improve your own system, the used market (with a little care) can yield wonderful results.

I finally cashed in my airmiles on a set of Klipsch promedia speakers which claim to go down to 31hz and have two way satellites so we'll see if they sound better than my Logitech's.

Hi Carewser,

I'm not familiar with the Klipsch promedia speakers and I have not heard them but found this review

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 review - CNET

Can I suggest that you appreciate the "garbage in garbage out" principle in as much as what ever speaker system you choose they still need to be fed with a clean and accurate signal from a good source.

The speakers you have chosen to my mind are very much in keeping with the Logitech approach being 2.1 and you have missed the point that "everything matters" so no matter how good your speakers are you will always need a good source. In the case of computer audio this means many things but basically:

a bit perfect rip of your CDs using AIFF format or a streaming source such as Tidal

good quality software such as JRiver or Roon or Audirvana or the like

and a good quality DAC

This is not an instant fix hobby - you need to understand the importance of each part of the puzzle and how each component affects the next in the chain.

Many here have spent years researching components and audio theory in getting their systems together.

Did you read the links I offered in an earlier post?

I had the ProMedia GMX A 2.1 speaker setup for years; for the price I paid (around $150, I think) they were pretty solid, and if the non-GMX versions are still available and sound comparable, I'd still recommend them.

If you're really just looking for great bang-for-the-buck computer speakers rather than diving into the wallet-sucking world of audiophilia (I'm really cheap by CA standards and I still spend more than I suspect most people would consider sane), I'd look at The Wirecutter's choice, the M-Audio Studiophile AV40. They're currently $150 on Amazon, and according to reviewers, they're almost as good as the $250 Audioengine A2+ speakers (a little lower clarity, but actually more bass than the A2+'s give you).

And, for the record, The Wirecutter also looked at Logitech's Z600 speakers: "Easily sounded the worst of all 11 speakers we tested: barely any bass and raspy, shrill mids and highs. But they look pretty cool." (They explicitly stuck to "2.0" speakers, not 2.1, so didn't look at the Klipschs or the Logitech Z623. Personally between the two I'd trust Klipsch more, though.)

Life was so much cheaper when I couldn't hear a difference between these things.

^I've never heard the Z600 speakers but my two pairs of Logitech's have been almost universally praised, in fact my Z-2300's were for many years, the paradigm of 2.1 speakers.

Ajax, I read some of the well tempered computer's section "to stream or not to stream" but in spite of the name, it doesn't go into the benefits of drawbacks of streaming audio because all I do is play youtube videos.

The problem I have with the "everything matters" approach is, I don't believe for a second that human hearing is acute enough to be able to hear a difference between different amplifiers let alone different cables and interconnects which is of course flies in the face of what audiophiles have been saying for decades but who's been convincing them of this? Makers of very expensive amplifiers, cables and interconnects in an attempt to justify their sometimes exorbitant prices. In my experience the two things that shape the sound are the beginning and the end of the audio signal, ie; the source and the speakers because there's no question there's a difference between cassette tape, LP and MP3 just as there's a difference in sound between speaker systems. For example, all i've ever owned are mainstream amplifiers by companies like Pioneer, Sherwood and Yamaha but I used to have a friend that had some high end equipment by Macintosh so I listened to them all night once with him and you know what I heard? The snap, crackle and pop of the LP's he played all night since most of us had moved on to CD's by then. I didn't hear any of the supposed "warmth" offered by his tube amp and we had to wait a while just to use it. Who wants to wait around just to listen to music? Add that to the fact all I listen to is rock music which itself is often distorted to start with, and you might better understand where i'm coming from. I've always been a basshead too so I don't care how great a pair of JBL's or Genelec's can pick up the sound of some guy's fingers plucking the double bass on a Diana Krall song because I never listen to Diana Krall.

What I want more than anything is deep, accurate bass, it's all i've ever wanted.