IGNORED

Difference between $40 and $140 In-Ear Headphones?

I am interested in buying the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Headphones, and am worried they will not be much of a step up from my current Sony EX15LP's. I am by no means an audiophile, but I am noticing distortion in highs on fairly low volume. I was just wondering how much better the quality of sound and soundstage would be, and whether I would notice a decent enough increase in quality to merit the fairly large amount of money the Momentum's cost.

I am interested in buying the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Headphones, and am worried they will not be much of a step up from my current Sony EX15LP's. I am by no means an audiophile, but I am noticing distortion in highs on fairly low volume. I was just wondering how much better the quality of sound and soundstage would be, and whether I would notice a decent enough increase in quality to merit the fairly large amount of money the Momentum's cost.

Any idea why your Sony distorts? Is it defective? If not defective, then you might not solve the problem with a new earphone. Even my Apple earbuds don't distort - not on extreme treble or bass.

The Momentum In-Ear would be much better than the Sony. Can't explain it. I haven't tried either IEMs. But good $100-200 IEMs are much better than <$100 ones. You just need to pick a good pair and Momentum is one of them. I used to own the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Pro. I now own the RHA MA750. For most people the $100-200 price range is the sweet spot for performance/price ratio.

I think it was actually just the song distorting. I'm not sure why though. I tried listening to the same song "Bohemian Rhapsody" on my Beats Solo's and it did the same thing. Its hard to explain, but instead of the audio projecting properly, it sort of popped, and the frequency on both headphones maxed out. It only does this is the especially high parts of the song, such as the instrumental solo's.