IGNORED

Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro Around-Ear Stereo Headphone review

• 2 weeks later...

Followup: I got a 1.5m replacement cable (Cardas) made for my DT1770 Pro by Charleston Cable Company, who build custom cables from quality name-brand stock. My requirement wasn't to change the sound, but rather to make it more convenient to carry around. Nevertheless, the sound changed slightly as follows: The midrange gained a little in openness and clarity, the highs above 10 khz became more extended without changing the treble balance, and the bass tightened up without losing strength and impact. I listen to a lot of jazz with upright bass playing, and the tonality and realism of those plucked strings is better than anything I've heard in memory, including this year's sessions with the Audeze LCD2 planar headphone.

Followup: I got a 1.5m replacement cable (Cardas) made for my DT1770 Pro by Charleston Cable Company, who build custom cables from quality name-brand stock. My requirement wasn't to change the sound, but rather to make it more convenient to carry around. Nevertheless, the sound changed slightly as follows: The midrange gained a little in openness and clarity, the highs above 10 khz became more extended without changing the treble balance, and the bass tightened up without losing strength and impact. I listen to a lot of jazz with upright bass playing, and the tonality and realism of those plucked strings is better than anything I've heard in memory, including this year's sessions with the Audeze LCD2 planar headphone.

I bought a set of the BD DT1770 and ordered a custom cable from Blue Jeans Cable with a Neutrik 1/4" plug, Belden 1508A cable and a mini XLR. I did not like the screw type adapter for the 1/4" plug. My impression when comparing the new cable to the stock cable is pretty much the same as yours. A 10ft cable cost around $35.

These headphones are superb. Before these, I was listening through a set of Grado 1000e and was seriously thinking of Sennheiser HD800, but held off because what I really needed was a set of closed back headphones. The DT1770 pro's are perfect.

Thanks for your reviews. They help out a lot since I listen mostly to classical music.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

• 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23113[/ATTACH]

you are right. sound belies price, and not a 'typical beyer'. fine balance of smoothness, maturity and textures. very x2 tempting indeed...

I called the main guy at a place called Charleston Cable, and he made me a Cardas cable for the 1770 for $200. It provides a slight bit more clarity, but mainly I did it to get a shorter length.