IGNORED

DAC 8 vs Yaggi

mbain

Is anyone in a position to compare the Audio Research DAC 8 to the Schiit Yggy?

I haven't heard the AR DAC8, but I have heard a Yggdrasil (US$2200) vs a straight-up MSB Diamond IV (~US$14,000+) and the Yggy blows it away as far as noise-floor, and top-end articulation are concerned! This is a pretty good comparison as both DACs use ladder-DAC technology (as opposed to Delta-Sigma) and both are dual-differential designs, so that one ends-up comparing apples to apples, so to speak.

George

I had an ARC Reference DAC which is a DAC 8 with the Ref 5 SE output stage. I didn't use it as a preamp, though, just as a DAC. I purchased one of the first Yggys last spring and Yggy is still here and I sold the Reference DAC.

Usually when comparing dacs the differences are pretty subtle, but not in this case, Yggy was clearly better. I put the reference DAC back into the system after getting Yggy broken in and, seriously, in less than a minute I knew Yggy was staying. Yggy has much better retrieval of details than the REF DAC yet doesn't have that fatiguing digital sound that often goes along with thus ability. We've all read those reviews where a reviewer writes "a veil was lifted", well in this case, it was like someone put a blanket over my speakers listening to the REF DAC after Yggy.

ChrisG

Bend, OR

I had an ARC Reference DAC which is a DAC 8 with the Ref 5 SE output stage. I didn't use it as a preamp, though, just as a DAC. I purchased one of the first Yggys last spring and Yggy is still here and I sold the Reference DAC.

Usually when comparing dacs the differences are pretty subtle, but not in this case, Yggy was clearly better. I put the reference DAC back into the system after getting Yggy broken in and, seriously, in less than a minute I knew Yggy was staying. Yggy has much better retrieval of details than the REF DAC yet doesn't have that fatiguing digital sound that often goes along with thus ability. We've all read those reviews where a reviewer writes "a veil was lifted", well in this case, it was like someone put a blanket over my speakers listening to the REF DAC after Yggy.

That was my reaction to the Yggy vs the MSB. The Yggy was so much cleaner and more detailed and articulate. It has better bass than the MSB as well and these differences are not subtle.

At 1/7th (or less) of the price of an MSB, the Yggy is a real bargain. But that's the kind of product you get when you combine the the talents of a legendary digital designer such as Mike Moffat with the skills of an accomplished analog maven such as Jason Stoddard!

George