IGNORED

CAPS vs. Bryston

mbain

People must be interested in this comparison as over 200 of you have clicked on the thread. I guess no one has had the experience to offer their thoughts or maybe I am missing something else?

On another matter...do any of you become weary of reading the posts on this site for whatever reason? I find I often need a prolonged break. When I return I usually find that I have not missed all that much.

mbain

People must be interested in this comparison as over 200 of you have clicked on the thread. I guess no one has had the experience to offer their thoughts or maybe I am missing something else?

You are looking for a very specific comparison, so maybe no one so far has the experience to reply?

I have lots of experience with the BDP2 but none with CAPS. I can tell you that the BDP via AES or SpDif is a considerable improvement over an off the shelf fanless PC with LPSU running Linux & HQ player via USB.

Has anyone in the community had the opportunity to compare sound quality of any of the latest CAPS servers vis a vis The Bryston Bdp-1 or 2?

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. A stand alone unit such as Bryston would never fulfill my media needs. Computer/PC gives me the most options. SQ is wide open to system choices and synergy. You'll never get a clear answer to which has better SQ because the needle is always moving.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I suppose it depends on what you want to do. A stand alone unit such as Bryston would never fulfill my media needs. Computer/PC gives me the most options. SQ is wide open to system choices and synergy. You'll never get a clear answer to which has better SQ because the needle is always moving.

As a general rule, a well designed dedicated music server - both the Bryston and CAPS qualify - will sound better than an off the shelf general purpose computer. For people with limited computer skills, a music server from a company like Bryston may be a better choice because of simplicity and support.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

As a general rule, a well designed dedicated music server - both the Bryston and CAPS qualify - will sound better than an off the shelf general purpose computer. For people with limited computer skills, a music server from a company like Bryston may be a better choice because of simplicity and support.

I think it's safe to say, on this forum, when someone speaks of computer audio, it's not just a general purpose one. I agree that for those folks with limited computer skills, probably not on this forum, something like the Bryston may be a better choice.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I think it's safe to say, on this forum, when someone speaks of computer audio, it's not just a general purpose one. I agree that for those folks with limited computer skills, probably not on this forum, something like the Bryston may be a better choice.

Not to be controversial however I think I can say with certainty that there are many CA readers that have "limited" computer skills. I fall into this group. For me a substantial percentage of the fun from this avocation comes from the gradual accumulation of knowledge along with the development of a skill set that I didn't have earlier.

mbain

As it may also be for those of us with reasonable computer skills but who just want to buy into something that gives excellent SQ out of the box, with superb backup, an ongoing update programme with someone else doing the tinkering and a long, long guarantee to work as intended.

I'm reminded of Jerome K Jerome's comments on cycling:

"There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can "overhaul" it, or you can ride it. ...The mistake some people make is in thinking they can get both forms of sport out of the same machine."

"There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can "overhaul" it, or you can ride it. ...The mistake some people make is in thinking they can get both forms of sport out of the same machine."

Ahh, but it's not the same machine if you know how to make it better for you with more options and keep it operating at minimal cost.

As it may also be for those of us with reasonable computer skills but who just want to buy into something that gives excellent SQ out of the box, with superb backup, an ongoing update programme with someone else doing the tinkering and a long, long guarantee to work as intended.

I'm with you!

mbain