IGNORED

PlayClassics master file giveaway for CA members

Yes, of course, the offer is up until we give a code to every member.

...I am thinking by the time we do that there will probably be new members on the forum, and we should give them a code too, so that kind of makes it more like a life time offer, but I am ok with that as long as you all are :)

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

I just sent you the album and the flamenco files.

Why am I insisting on these flamenco files? All our albums have piano. These flamenco files are the only thing we have so far that do not have a piano. These files are just voice and Spanish guitar.

The piano and the guitar are probably in the opposite sides of the "good practice recording manual" but we are recording them both the same way. We are using the same mics at the same distance (12 feet apart from the instrumens) So I think listening to both this instruments on the recordings pretty much gives you a feeling of what this technology is all about.

Mario Martínez

Hello Mario,

thank you again for sending me the Debussy files.

The recording sounds great, both via headphone and on my speakers. Especially the rich nuances of the piano, decay and reverb, are excellent.

If possible I would also like to try the flamenco files. Spanish guitar and vocals, this sounds intruiging. Would love to compare it with recordings like Manisero by Marta Gomez.

Hi Mario,

just listened to the flamenco files, thank you for the opportunity.

Excellent examples again, nice imaging, her voice sounds incredible natural and "direct".

A very dynamic recording, especially track 1, for which I attach the musicscope analysis.

Would love to hear more from them !

Flamenco1.flac_report.png

I have also been listening to the Flamenco "sketches".

The recording is again very "natural"-sounding, "nicely"-balanced tone-wise (the guitar sounds "warm" but not "fat" or bottom-"heavy", the voice "clear" but devoid of sibilance and "full") and without exaggerating "detail".

As mentioned by jtm, the dynamic range is very impressive and overall it doesn't sound very different from what one would expect listening at a live tablao.

2u599ar.png

Again the spectrogram shows little energy above 15kHz which illustrates my recurring complaint that many "audiophile" recordings described as "detailed" are in fact too "bright".

I am only speculating here (for lack of knowledge and experience) but think that two possible causes could be mic positioning or mic frequency.

Mario has already explained that his studio has been tuned with great care and that his mice are positioned at a civilised distance, which helps.

On the other hand, this Soundkeeper recording ("Dragon Boats"), while very good-sounding overall, I feel it suffers from some upper-treble "sparklyness" and also excessive "detail" which in my opinion give it a slight artificial, un-musical "coloration".

20iymqf.png

By the way, can anyone explain the "noise" line at around 41kHz in this last graph?

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Mario,

Thanks for this wonderful service to CA members. I would love to have Iberia and the Flamenco stuff. If as people say, I would use them in my reviews here too (PlayPoint is finished and into Chris; Fore Audio is next). It would provide another common baseline for readers to react to, relate to, etc.

Mario,

Thanks for this wonderful service to CA members. I would love to have Iberia and the Flamenco stuff. If as people say, I would use them in my reviews here too (PlayPoint is finished and into Chris; Fore Audio is next). It would provide another common baseline for readers to react to, relate to, etc.

Please feel free to use it in whatever way you see fit.

It will make me very happy if you do find it useful :)

Thanks!

Mario Martínez

Thanks Ricardo. I wished this flamenco was an album just so that I could use your description as a testimonial

I have also been listening to the Flamenco "sketches".

The recording is again very "natural"-sounding, "nicely"-balanced tone-wise (the guitar sounds "warm" but not "fat" or bottom-"heavy", the voice "clear" but devoid of sibilance and "full") and without exaggerating "detail".

As mentioned by jtm, the dynamic range is very impressive and overall it doesn't sound very different from what one would expect listening at a live tablao.

About this other subject:

Again the spectrogram shows little energy above 15kHz which illustrates my recurring complaint that many "audiophile" recordings described as "detailed" are in fact too "bright".

I am only speculating here (for lack of knowledge and experience) but think that two possible causes could be mic positioning or mic frequency.

Mario has already explained that his studio has been tuned with great care and that his mice are positioned at a civilised distance, which helps.

This is what we have done to get this results:

It is not the mics or the mic setup, it is the hall. We have worked the acoustics of the hall to deliver the sound that way onto the mic setup. The mic setup is just registering the sound the way the hall is delivering it. The sound for the recording has to be made before it hits the microphones, after that you really cannot fix anything. All the work has to be done on the hall not on the DAW.[/Quote]

Mario Martínez