IGNORED

Glenn Gould Remastered: The Complete Columbia Album Collection

One of the French-language music magazines (Classica or Diapason - I don't remember which) reviews this collection in its November edition. I don't have the magazine with me and can't check right now, but my recollection of their review is that they much liked the remastering for some pieces (Bach's French suites?) and not so much for others (the 1955 Goldbergs?). My memory fails me, but if you are interested, please tell me, and I can locate the magazine, re-read their review and report back here.

Dear Boris75,

Thanks a lot for your help. In the meantime I got a PM which was convincing enough that I went and downloaded the whole thing from Qobuz. Not an easy task, it took a few hours, now I cannot wait to get home tonight and check it out.

I would still appreciate if you could give me the reference of the French journal (indeed, French is my mother tongue).

Best

Chris

Dear Boris75,

Thanks a lot for your help. In the meantime I got a PM which was convincing enough that I went and downloaded the whole thing from Qobuz. Not an easy task, it took a few hours, now I cannot wait to get home tonight and check it out.

I would still appreciate if you could give me the reference of the French journal (indeed, French is my mother tongue).

Best

Chris

$150 for 78 cd's of Glenn Gould that have been remastered is a great deal, no matter how you look at it. You can't go wrong. I have a Tidal subscription and all of the recordings of Glenn Gould are available for streaming in 16/44.1 flac format and I have been seriously tempted to download the Qobuz offering. Just his Bach is worth it.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

The Qoboz download is 44.1 Khz, 24 bit. This is the same as he USB thumb drive version of the music that is due out in December. I wonder if these extra bits make much difference on recording that are mostly from the 50s and 60s?

I'm interested as I've seen the CDs on special offer and the USB thumb drive is a lot more expensive. Plus I'm currently in the US and so can not buy from Qoboz.

I have some of the Gould remasters by Andreas Meyer on SACD (released in Japan), and I think they sound very good. I haven't done comparisons with the previous releases though.

It's a bit disappointing that DSD remasters get released as 24/44 downloads only. 24/88 PCM (and DSD) would be the logical option. If it was just to save space on the USB drive, it does not make sense to apply it to the downloads as well.

Claude

Fabulous value now at Eur 56.69 for Qobuz Sublime subscribers for the hi res (44/24bit) version of the remastered Glenn Gould. That's less than $1 a disc. That price takes into account the current 10% discount promo on the already discounted price of Eur 63 for Qobuz Sublime subscribers.

Another great value is the Eur 15 for the hi res (44/24bit) 4 disc set of Brad Mehldau's 10 Years Solo Live. Let's hope Qobuz survives its current difficulties so it can continue to offer deals like these.

The Audio Tragic

Main system: Mac Mini > Audiolense XO room correction (via Audirvana+ or HQPlayer) > Weiss DAC202 > Krell 302 > Revel Ultima2 Studio

Home office: QNAP NAS > Lumin D1 > Krell KAV-400xi -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M

Work: Mac Mini > HQP > NAA (Windows 10) >Uptone Regen > Exasound e12 > SPL Phonitor 2 > Audeze LCD-XC

Software players: Audirvana+, HQ Player, Roon, Lumin, optical internet

• 1 year later...

What's the catch? This seems like a great deal, but I'm a bit baffled by the huge difference compared to the USB version that comes with (seemingly?) identical files at 3-4x the price. 

Of course, I already own the Complete Jacket Collection. Wonder if it's worth it to upgrade to this for the SQ?

44 minutes ago, Bystander said:

What's the catch?

I don't think there is some catch. The USB stick is just probably treated as 'collectors item'. Looks sooo coool.. I almost regret I don't have it :D  (some expect £245.90 for it on Amazon):

51Qg+rDWF7L._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-Remastered-Complete-Collection/dp/B00WSAVRMA

The 24-44 download sounds very good to me (I compared just  both Goldberg variations with CD versions).

21 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I don't think there is some catch. The USB stick is just probably treated as 'collectors item'. Looks sooo coool.. I almost regret I don't have it :D  (some expect £245.90 for it on Amazon):

51Qg+rDWF7L._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Glenn-Gould-Remastered-Complete-Collection/dp/B00WSAVRMA

The 24-44 download sounds very good to me (I compared just  both Goldberg variations with CD versions).

^_^ I think I'd prefer the ~400 page hardcover "booklet" that comes with the CD remasters to the little plastic piano.  

book.thumb.png.d180f22a7d3acfbb77e5e65dc688ef7e.png

The pricing for the stick seems insane to me in comparison, for a piece of cheap electronics and only a PDF. Good thing the files are on Qobuz as well for a very reasonable price indeed. :)

Do you know whether the PDF that's included on Qobuz is the same as the one that comes with the stick?