IGNORED

Build me the ultimate Music Server

mcjim

Dear All,

I'm looking to replace an older SONORE music server box, which had been serviceable, but now severely limited by driver support for its LYNX AES16 Sound card.

There's obviously a myriad of options and as much as I'd love to research/spec out from scratch, I simply don't have the time to invest in the learning curve.

Wishlist is as follows:

1. Extraordinary sound quality
  2. Rock solid, bullet-proof, appliance style operation, with remote control (MCE is fine)
  3. Dual boot 1) VB as well as stripped down 2) MS Windows with audiophile optimiser from AudioPhil. Ideally a third boot option which would be OpenElec - this triple boot option would be great (but only to the extent it does not complicate setup/daily use as an appliance or degrade sound quality)
  4. audio output from a) sound card or b) USB/firewire to AES/EBU input on McIntosh MX151
  5. Interfaces - 1) MP Droid / JRiver - 2) ROON for Windows and 3) Kodi for OpenElec
  6. SSD for OS and NAS for audio files (or local 2 - 3 TB Drive, whichever is better sound quality/ease of use)
  7. DSD and FLAC all sampling rates to to 24 bit / 192 kHz
  8. Multi channel (5.1) nice but not critical
  9. Video card (ideally 4K) or happy to go headless if this really complicates set up/degrades audio quality. The 4K option would enable me to use this also as a high end video server

• All audiophile grade components inc. mother board - no weak links
  • Isolated signal/audio paths
  • Optimumly clocked
  • No jitter introduced
  • Isolated /clean power supply (240V)
  • Filters, etc.
  • Streacom FC-7 Alpha or similar form factor

DAC NOT needed - the McIntosh MX151 has an onboard DAC

Up to about say $3,000. 50% up front and 50% on completion

I'm ready to roll now; feel free to respond here or via pm, with confirmation of your intended approach, components (makes and models), drivers, config, timeframe, etc.

Many thanks guys

Jim

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

Nordost Blue Heaven (Power Leads),

Billy Bags (Cracked Glass, AV Rack)

~

Jim,

Small Green Computer has an arrangement with CA to build the CAPS servers.

(follow the link to find out more about what a CAP server is).

Small Green Computer website: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server

I'm sure once you contact them further custom options can be added.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

As an alternative - look at an Aurender N100 and separate 4k video player.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Audio ELF and Nikhil

I've spent the morning reading reviews of the Aurender N10 - nice but expensive, tough to justify

hmmm what to do ? :)

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

~

Thanks Audio ELF and Nikhil

I've spent the morning reading reviews of the Aurender N10 - nice but expensive, tough to justify

hmmm what to do ? :)

Audio ELF mentioned the N100 not to be confused (but often is) with the N10. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Thanks rwwjr44

Yes I'm aware of that - i need /prefer to go directly to AES/EBU on the McIntosh MX151 and presumably the N10 will have superior SQ as well. I also like the concept of playing cached music directly off an SSD - makes sense to me.

So this is on my short list.

Another recommended Baetis - anyone have any experience or provide opinions as to relative SQ?

~

Thanks fakeM

I'm really liking the package that is the Aurender N10 - other than the blowing of the budget to smithereens, highly regarded SQ, SSD playback from auto-cached content, integrated 4TB storage, Tidal integration, linear power supply, fantastic ipad app, brilliant build quality and what appears to be, great support as well as upcoming Roon support. Lookin' pretty darn good I reckon

~

Thanks guys

pushed the button.... N10 is on its way :)

~