IGNORED

iPurifier 2 – Active Asynch USB Purifier Repeater

iPurifier 2 – Active Asynch USB Purifier Repeater

Filter-packed to the nth degree

LL

Southport, UK – 30st Oct 2015

Leading the field in USB audio technology

The iFi obsession with cleaning up the USB audio chain continues. Drawing from the knowledge pool of AMR and on the heels of the iUSB3.0 comes the iPurifier2. It is an Asynchronous Active USB Purifier Repeater. It offers 100X to 100,000X [1] noise reduction for USB Power, underpinned by REclock®, REgenerate® and REbalance®. It is so intelligent, it is an active USB repeater so it can extend USB lengths. Used at the end of the chain, just select the type A, B [2], C or micro USB connector version to enhance any and every USB audio device.

Features

• Active Noise Cancellation® military-grade circuit for 100X to 100,000X noise reduction
  • REgenerate® and REclock® asynchronous technology to eliminate jitter
  • REbalance® re-corrects USB signal balance to cancel DC offset noise
  • Compliant with USB Audio Class 2.0 for DSD/PCM/DXD formats (to 768kHz and beyond)
  • Aluminium aircraft-grade ‘Final’ connector (impedance 90 ohms)
  • 4 versions – USB A, B, C and micro connections

The retail price of the iPurifier2 is US$109 (ex-tax) or Euro119 (incl VAT).

[1] Magnitude of improvement dependent upon where in the audible frequency range.

[2] Type B is available now, types A,C and micro USB to follow.

Enjoy! beyersmile.png

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

iPurifier 2 – Active Asynch USB Purifier Hub

[2] Type B is available now, types A,C and micro USB to follow.

Just a thought (which you may already have had) but have you considered a purifier with micro USB on one end to connect direct to a DAC but with a standard type B on the other end for people to use full sized cables?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just a thought (which you may already have had) but have you considered a purifier with micro USB on one end to connect direct to a DAC but with a standard type B on the other end for people to use full sized cables?

Yes it will come with Micro USB, the type you have on android devices / portable DAC's with USB 3.0 B input.

The retail price of the iPurifier2 is US$109 (ex-tax) or Euro119 (incl VAT).

So why is the price at MusicDirect $129? At current exchange rates, it's like the VAT is still included.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

ricka: My price list and release info from the USA iFi Audio distributor shows the USA Price for the iPurifier2 is $99 and I have not been notified of any price change. Unless iFi/AMR has made a last minute change on pricing, the USA price posted by the gent from iFi/AMR UK above it not correct.

westy: The first iPurfier2's are arriving at dealers now. I got our fist order of them Friday and have a few in stock.

Right now the only version available in the USA is the std USB B connector

IMG_5115.JPG

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

As it's an active purifier would it work connected to a not-powered jcat usb card and to a dac that doesn't require 5v? Does it have some effect when the music server is fanless and lps powered?

Firstly, all of these tweaks are system dependant, there are no definitive answers like what you're asking for. And this is a tweak, no 2 ways about it. It's not a new set of speakers, it's not the thing that makes the sound, so it's hard to ask direct questions other than about its colour or interface type.

Secondly, it's brand new and almost no one has even tried them yet, so it'd be hard for anyone to say.

I own the first iPurifier and I'm hot and cold about it. It's nice in some places, not so nice in other places, and in general has an "is it really doing that or am I imagining it" effect. I've kept it, so it does have that going for it :-)

As it's an active purifier would it work connected to a not-powered jcat usb card and to a dac that doesn't require 5v? Does it have some effect when the music server is fanless and lps powered?

Hi,

You are correct. It will not work. It requires the 5v USB power. It is a USB Specification compliant product. But a neat aspect is that it will reclock and regenerate the signal. You can actually use it between two usb cables (with any requisite adapters) to extend the USB run.

Fanless and LPS powered - yes, we expect better things. But you are best trying for yourself first - before you buy. We always advise this.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Please can you tell me if the iPurifier 2 would be of benefit to me, with it's addiional features, if I substituted it for my current iPurifier?

My system is outlined in my signature below. When I bought my original DP-777 I followed Mr. Loesche's lead when I saw details of his system at the time, where he recommended the iPurifier for use with the DP-777, but the iUSB Power was not necessary as the dac was isolated from USB power.

I traded my original DP-777 for a new DP-777 SE. Presumably the same applies to the Special Edition as regards power? So I suppose it boils down to whether any or all the new features in the iPurifier would benefit output from the Special Edition?

Finally, is there any benefit in feeding the iPurifier with a cleaner power source than that from the computer? I was left with the Aqvox PSU when I parted with my iUSB Power, so I used it thinking it might be of some benefit. It is connected to the power leg of the Gemini cable, which is not connected to the computer at all. Presumably that is ok technique and doesn't affect the 90ohm impedance matching?

Thanks.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Please can you tell me if the iPurifier 2 would be of benefit to me, with it's addiional features, if I substituted it for my current iPurifier?

My system is outlined in my signature below. When I bought my original DP-777 I followed Mr. Loesche's lead when I saw details of his system at the time, where he recommended the iPurifier for use with the DP-777, but the iUSB Power was not necessary as the dac was isolated from USB power.

I traded my original DP-777 for a new DP-777 SE. Presumably the same applies to the Special Edition as regards power? So I suppose it boils down to whether any or all the new features in the iPurifier would benefit output from the Special Edition?

Finally, is there any benefit in feeding the iPurifier with a cleaner power source than that from the computer? I was left with the Aqvox PSU when I parted with my iUSB Power, so I used it thinking it might be of some benefit. It is connected to the power leg of the Gemini cable, which is not connected to the computer at all. Presumably that is ok technique and doesn't affect the 90ohm impedance matching?

Thanks.

+ 1 ... Would highly appreciate your feedback.

Tried the Regen but didn't notice any improvement in combination with my Aurender.

Thanks.

Hi,

The DP-777 and DP-777 SE (same platform in this regard) are as impervious to USB gremlins as ultra-fi DACs go. However, there is never any harm in trying them out. For sure, the iPurifier2 does a lot of things that we do not wish to reiterate such as re-clocking, re-balancing and re-generating an Asynchronous signal.

You can actually use it in the middle of 2 x 5 metre USB cables and

We always say to our customers to 'try first' so if it is okay, contact your dealer and try it out. At the end of the day, audio is a personal thing so whilst we believe one should hear the difference, we wont say yes it will, buy it. Just not our style.

For Haujobb, yes the iPurifier 2 is a notch-up from the orginal iPurifier. Again, please try it first, but it SHOULD be a bigger sonic difference than the original.

Cheers.

Hi,

The DP-777 and DP-777 SE (same platform in this regard) are as impervious to USB gremlins as ultra-fi DACs go. However, there is never any harm in trying them out. For sure, the iPurifier2 does a lot of things that we do not wish to reiterate such as re-clocking, re-balancing and re-generating an Asynchronous signal.

You can actually use it in the middle of 2 x 5 metre USB cables and

We always say to our customers to 'try first' so if it is okay, contact your dealer and try it out. At the end of the day, audio is a personal thing so whilst we believe one should hear the difference, we wont say yes it will, buy it. Just not our style.

For Haujobb, yes the iPurifier 2 is a notch-up from the orginal iPurifier. Again, please try it first, but it SHOULD be a bigger sonic difference than the original.

Cheers.

Thank you very much. I will try it. Any comment on whether the iPurifiers benefit or not from the quality of the DC supplied? Thanks.

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

Thank you very much. I will try it. Any comment on whether the iPurifiers benefit or not from the quality of the DC supplied? Thanks.

Hi,

The iPurifier 1 is a passive filter (like some other later entrants) and only effective for fairly high-frequency noise.

The iPurifier 2 includes Active Noise Cancellation and dramatically reduces noise from 20Hz to 2.5GHz (which is the limit of our instrumentation).

From our testing with AP2 and 2.5GHz Spectrum Analyser

10Hz - 50Hz

20X better/26dB lower

50Hz - 200Hz

100X better/40dB lower

200Hz - 20kHz

1000X better/60dB lower

20khz - 50MHz

3160X better/70dB lower

50MHz - 2.5GHz

316X better/50dB lower

So in both cases supplying a cleaner power may improve things further. Though with the iP2 its self noise is more likely the ultimate limit than the supplied power. But at 0.000005v of self-noise, we are talking here at being 'noisy' near to the measurement limits of the Audio Precision (just being precise).

So given iP & iP2 filter the incoming DC but do not regenerate a completely new, clean DC they may be to some degree influenced by the incoming DC. This is primarily for the power passing through the iP(2), its on board PSU for the REgenerate and REclock circuit is regulated and filtered and should be far more immune to DC changes.

Cheers.

Can I use it with my Lampizator DAC?

(from the Lampizator site regarding the DAC's USB input: "It also is self powered from internal power supply which we build into our DACs. No power is taken from the computer and the noisy computer line is PHYSICALLY interrupted and insulated".)

Can I use it with my Lampizator DAC?

(from the Lampizator site regarding the DAC's USB input: "It also is self powered from internal power supply which we build into our DACs. No power is taken from the computer and the noisy computer line is PHYSICALLY interrupted and insulated".)

Yes, feel free to try. The USB line has Data (audio) + Power. So the Asynchrounous re-clocking etc will benefit the data line for sure even though not much is required for the power line.

Hi,

The iPurifier 1 is a passive filter (like some other later entrants) and only effective for fairly high-frequency noise.

The iPurifier 2 includes Active Noise Cancellation and dramatically reduces noise from 20Hz to 2.5GHz (which is the limit of our instrumentation).

10Hz - 50Hz

20X better/26dB lower

50Hz - 200Hz

100X better/40dB lower

200Hz - 20kHz

1000X better/60dB lower

20khz - 50MHz

3160X better/70dB lower

50MHz - 2.5GHz

316X better/50dB lower

So in both cases supplying a cleaner power may improve things further. Though with the iP2 its self noise is more likely the ultimate limit than the supplied power. But at 0.000005v of self-noise, we are talking here at being 'noisy' near to the measurement limits of the Audio Precision (just being precise).

So given iP & iP2 filter the incoming DC but do not regenerate a completely new, clean DC they may be to some degree influenced by the incoming DC. This is primarily for the power passing through the iP(2), its on board PSU for the REgenerate and REclock circuit is regulated and filtered and should be far more immune to DC changes.

Cheers.

Thanks for all that. iPurifier 2 on the way :-)

10Hz - 50Hz

20X better/26dB lower

50Hz - 200Hz

100X better/40dB lower

200Hz - 20kHz

1000X better/60dB lower

20khz - 50MHz

3160X better/70dB lower

50MHz - 2.5GHz

316X better/50dB lower

As someone asked, we thought we would graphically depict our measurements:

iP2 DC (noise reduction).jpg

Yes, feel free to try. The USB line has Data (audio) + Power. So the Asynchrounous re-clocking etc will benefit the data line for sure even though not much is required for the power line.

Thanks! I visited the Athens hi-fi show on Saturday and snatched one up!

Your staff there was very helpful and knowledgeable and above all genuinely interested in my system and its requirements.

I've using the ipurifier2 in my system ever since and its effects have been clearly noticeable and very positive overall.

I especially liked its providing a sense of grip and a solid foundation for the music to develop, enhancing its visceral elements and providing clear benefits on pace and timing but also low level detail.

Very nice indeed!

Got myself the IP2 yesterday. Before I tried it out on my system (Macbook Air > Yggdrasil > Taurus Mk2 > LCD3) I spent a good hour listening to some familiar rock and classical tracks and the Chesky test disc which I know pretty well. I was telling myself it's pretty hard to beat the sonics that I was already getting. So I pop it in hoping it wasn't a waste of money. Glad to say it wasn't. Almost immediately I noticed harder hitting bass, a more palpable rumble in the low end, a noticeably fuller midrange, a natural relaxed delivery in voices that other users had mentioned, and most interesting of all, I seem to have moved from a seat in front of the soundstage to a spot IN the soundstage. The front to back space between instruments and performers seem to have widened and appeared a lot closer to me. It's quite extraordinary. If I have to be really critical, I'd say I lost a slight sense of depth on some recordings as micro details that sounded distant before now feels 'closer'. All in all, it's an improvement I hadn't expected and it made me realise that there's always a little more potential in our gear to squeeze out if the right thing comes along.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

• 3 months later...

i just picked up one, too...

my rig is very simple:

laptop to ifi mercury to ipurifer 2 to iDSD to headphone tube amp

might add the regen or iusb 2.0 in here

but for now i`m a bit hesitant as i know there are some

new more comprehensive products coming out from uptone and other companies shortly.

so I might sit tight..esp if they deal with galvanic isolation.

this area of signal and usb conditioning is a fast growing one...

with many differing opinions from the various players on how to best approach it

• 2 weeks later...