IGNORED

Are USB regenerators/filters useful for reducing noise on ADC audio interfaces?

Having just seen a couple of post recently about USB regenerators/filters, I was wondering (and hopeful) that I could use one of these such products (see link & attached pics below for examples) for an ADC audio interface. Now the interface in question is a Propellerheads Balance, which is designed primary for recording instruments such as electric guitar or Mic input via XLR. Now, my use case is slightly different but no less valid. I have a DJ mixer to which I connect a Technics SL1210 turntable and use this setup for digitising my vinyl collection at 24bit/96khz. There is a lot of noise in this setup which I am hoping to be able to reduce. This is not my end game set up; I intend to buy an audiophile turntable and phono stage (more research required before I'll commit my cash), but in the mean time, I would like some help reducing the noise I'm experiencing. I am using Propellerheads Reason as the DAW for recording and editing the audio, and it has a rather useful level meter. When all kit is connected but no audio playing, the meter is showing the noise floor is at around -60db, which is far too high. I think that most of this noise is coming from the analogue input via XLR from the mixer/phono stage; but I'm not sure how much of this is due to unpurified/unfiltered power supply going to mixer/phono stage and the turntable. Sellers of USB regenerators/filters would say that noise from host computer will infect any attached USB audio devices, but is this the case for ADC devices? Actually, the Propellerhead Balance is a DAC and ADC, but the usage scenario I'm focusing on is the ADC function. So can these type of USB purifiers/regenerators/filter devices help to reduce noise in this situation?

(please see this link for device examples [ps, not the audio interface]:

A Collection of USB Audio Enhancement Products | AudioStream

)

Thanks.

iFi Micro USB Power.jpg

iFi iPurifier.jpg

Ultra Fi Aubisque USB Filter.jpg

Depends om where the noice is generated. USB filters/generators are targeted at computers. This does not seem to fit you situation.

To me it sound like the weak link is the phono preamp in your DJ mixer. Invest in a better phono stage right away! This will give you more gain and a cleaner signal. Is a Project PhonoBox PS with XLR outs in you ballpark:

Pro-Ject Audio Systems

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Ok thanks. I thought this might be the case, but its nice to get somebody elses opinion. Do you have any thoughts about power supply? I looked at that Project phono stage and noticed that they also sell an optional power supply. I'm quite skeptical about the usefulness of power supplies (that's only because I haven't done an AB test with/without a separate PS, but am open to it, if it genuinely affects sounds quality and in particular noise floor). Cheers.

As noted in many threads here, a good power supply is a foundation – not an addon. In the case of a riia preamp you are dealing with very low level input signals where a better power supply would make more sense than in many other cases. I do not doubt that the Power Box RS Phono makes a difference. But in the end it’s about cost.

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

BTW: you could ditch the DJ mixer and go for a proper preamp with a good phono stage. A DJ mixer has the feel of “quantity over quality”?

My intention is to ditch my whole setup, but because new turntable, phonostage, cartridge, dac, pre-amp & power-amp (and possibly power supply) is going to be expensive, I am considering my options very carefully; no rush. The problem is made worse, by manufacturers sometimes making wild/over exaggerated claims about their products so its a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff. I was just hoping that there could be something I could buy relatively cheaply to improve my current setup until I have decided what I am going to buy for the longer term.