IGNORED

Paradise is There: The New Tigerlily Recordings

Click here for Nonesuch's announcement of Natalie Merchant's forthcoming re-recorded album + film on November 6

Trailer :

[video=youtube;-SbsSl-O00o]

Audio example :

Check out her site for film screenings between October 26th to November 17th of where she too will be attending

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

• 3 weeks later...
Downloaded from highresaudio.com on the weekend, listened to it yet only once via headphones.

Different acoustic atmosphere compared to the original album, definitely worth if you like her music.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22119[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22120[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22121[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22122[/ATTACH]

Quite "hot" mastering (True Peak Level), but overall seems to be fine for that genre recording. If you look at the bit monitor, are all 24-bits used?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

No issues here, all 24bits being used.

The album has been mastered by Scott Hull at Masterdisk, NY.

In the booklet you can read some comment from Nathalie:

"The new arrangements are well balanced, the music is more nuanced, textured, and restrained, mature. I’m in possession of the process in ways that were beyond my reach in 1995."

I wasn't going to download because I typically don't like "redo" albums by the same artist. But I took a chance with this and find it really thoughtful and musical. I like it very much in a different from the original way...I think it is very much like a really well recorded "live" album rather than an "acoustic" set, in some sense of the experience.

I'm very happy I picked it up....thanks for the thread!

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

• 2 months later...
I'm very happy I picked it up....thanks for the thread!

John

Pardon John,

got distracted and kinda forgot about time... Am recalling to reply, only now, in noticing (on my YouTube Subscriptions Feed) :

It may sound better on NPR's native upload/player :

npr.org/event/music/462277254/natalie-merchant-tiny-desk-concert

Best wishes,

Will :)

«

an accurate picture

It may sound better on NPR's native upload/player :

npr.org/event/music/462277254/natalie-merchant-tiny-desk-concert

That video is great.

So I:

1. downloaded the HD version
  2. extracted just the vocal track
  3. saved vocal track as ALAC file
  4. grabbed screen capture of Natalie's face on video for album cover
  5. added this Tiny Desk Concert as an "album" to my library

Nice' date=' nice, nice.

Dave, who was lucky enough to see Ms. Merchant live three times last year and that last time she performed with the SUNY Purchase orchestra which is a very talented group of musicians for college students at that art-focused school

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow!! Reminded me of seeing her in the late 90's at a smallish venue (I won't say "intimate" because it was not and I doubt her popularity at the time allowed her to play intimate venues).

As a long time fan, I noticed 6 months or so ago that she and/or her label has only released one song to be played on Tidal from both her most recent and previous studio release. Based on that, I did not purchase it (is it not good enough for airplay I wondered). Now, upon seeing this I have $purchased$ both. I just don't get some of the reluctance to streaming by these folks. With the demise of FM Radio, they better find a way to reconcile themselves with streaming...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Question...how did you download the HD version and extract the audio?

That video is great.

So I:

1. downloaded the HD version
  2. extracted just the vocal track
  3. saved vocal track as ALAC file
  4. grabbed screen capture of Natalie's face on video for album cover
  5. added this Tiny Desk Concert as an "album" to my library

Nice, nice, nice.

Dave, who was lucky enough to see Ms. Merchant live three times last year and that last time she performed with the SUNY Purchase orchestra which is a very talented group of musicians for college students at that art-focused school

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Question...how did you download the HD version and extract the audio?

Ah, I see you use a Windows computer and not a Mac, so my answers might not help you.

Download? A OS X application called MacX Video Converter Pro, which will download videos from nearly any site.

Extract? Another OS X application, Amadeus Pro, which is an all-round sound program that lets me load in the video file but reads only the sound track, and then lets me save it in multiple formats.

For you, I know Firefox has free add-ons that help you download video from many sites, certainly from YouTube.

For sound extraction, I'm sure there are applications for Windows that can read video files and let you manipulate just the sound elements.

HTH.

Dave

Music is love, made audible.

For you, I know Firefox has free add-ons that help you download video from many sites, certainly from YouTube.

For sound extraction, I'm sure there are applications for Windows that can read video files and let you manipulate just the sound elements.

HTH.

Dave

Audio/Video Recorder, Editor, Converter. Capture streaming video and audio. for Windows users (such as myself).

« Natalie spoke with WNYC Radio's Leonard Lopate yesterday about her 35-year career in music, her social activism, and her new album, Paradise Is There : The New Tigerlily Recordings. »

nonesuch.com...merchant-wnyc-leonard-lopate-2016-02-10

natalie-merchant-2014c-by-dan-winters-900x470.jpg

«

an accurate picture

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Nevertheless' date=' am fond of the following :

[/font']

Thanks, another good one. I don't spend any time looking for "music videos" on YouTube or elsewhere, maybe I should. I still am wondering about certain artists schizophrenia when it comes to "streaming" (including Natalie of course) and yet YouTube is OK...

Greetings crenca, I'm very conscious of the word « Audiophile » in CA. And YouTube has its gems, it just takes time and effort to locate uploads (sometimes bootlegged) that sounds good.

Soon, when I can better narrate, I'll continue with my favourite YouTube 'live performances' thread

«

an accurate picture