IGNORED

Adding subwoofer KEF x300a

Hey i was just wondering if you guys could let me know if i was heading in the right direction. I recently purchased the KEF x300a's and they are incredible. I just want to add a bit of deep punching bass, my music taste varies massively and for certain genres it is slightly lacking like a deep punching bassline in some house or techno. At the moment im looking to purchase a gemini ii subwoofer and hook it up with a MiniDSP. Massively into my music just struggle with what to buy and how exactly connecting a sub up to this set would work, any other way than with the miniDSP i have researched that is.

Thanks in advance ?

James

H

Hey i was just wondering if you guys could let me know if i was heading in the right direction. I recently purchased the KEF x300a's and they are incredible. I just want to add a bit of deep punching bass, my music taste varies massively and for certain genres it is slightly lacking like a deep punching bassline in some house or techno. At the moment im looking to purchase a gemini ii subwoofer and hook it up with a MiniDSP. Massively into my music just struggle with what to buy and how exactly connecting a sub up to this set would work, any other way than with the miniDSP i have researched that is.

Thanks in advance

James

That looks like an interesting option. Are you thinking of the Mini 2X4? I would contact the company and run it by them what you are thinking but I'm thinking you could be on the right track.

David

I emailed them and they thought it only had a USB output, i emailed back simply saying it has an aux port and they are yet to get back to me, would i simply connect these together to the via the MiniDSP and then from there connect to my PC/Chromecast Audio. Would a usb DAC help the signal to the speakers still through the MiniDSP? As i obviously im missing out on the one in the KEF's by connecting via aux.

Thanks again!

I emailed them and they thought it only had a USB output, i emailed back simply saying it has an aux port and they are yet to get back to me, would i simply connect these together to the via the MiniDSP and then from there connect to my PC/Chromecast Audio. Would a usb DAC help the signal to the speakers still through the MiniDSP? As i obviously im missing out on the one in the KEF's by connecting via aux.

Thanks again!

Hello James,

It might be prudent for you to either telephone or email KEF Direct, and inquire whether or not one can employ a subwoofer with the KEF X300A. I own them for some time now. Their customer representative can help you sort this out. I personally don't have a subwoofer connected to them, though I would love to. I could be wrong, but I don't think a subwoofer can be connected. Best to check this out and KEFDirect.com can certainly help you.

Best,

Richard

There is no direct connection for a subwoofer on the X300a (this has been something that they have been criticised about).

You could use something like the MiniDSP 2x4 but would need to use analogue out into the X300a. You might manage to get a computer based crossover to work as an alternative.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 1 month later...

There are modified X300A's available with subwoofer outputs:

KEF X300A with subwoofer output – Sun Audio

Add a subwoofer and Dirac Live or some other room correction, and you have a very nice 3-way active system.

kef_x300a_vm_with_subwoofer_output_right_rear.png

kef_x300a_vm_with_subwoofer_output_left_rear.png

EAC -> FLAC -> Oyen Digital miniPro 2TB -> USB -> Lenovo ThinkPad X200 WIN XP -> Dirac Live Room Correction Suite -> AlbumPlayer -> Audioquest USB cable -> Hegel H100 DAC & amplifier -> 2.5mm copper -> AVI Trio loudspeakers

There are modified X300A's available with subwoofer outputs:

KEF X300A with subwoofer output – Sun Audio

Add a subwoofer and Dirac Live or some other room correction, and you have a very nice 3-way active system.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22531[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]22532[/ATTACH]

Hello Johan,

I have been employing KEF X300A since they were offered by KEF Direct in the USA. Enjoy them as an auxilary system for my office/study. Would love to have them modified but frankly have made no effort to discover who might offer professional modifications for subwoofer outputs in the United States.

I already employ Amarra Symphony with iRC and have created a filter for my study/office AND added a AQJB (AudioQuest JitterBug) from Mac Mini to 5m USB cable run to my Left KEF X300A. With Amarra Symphony wiRC and the AQJB, the sound has never been better. BUT, a subwoofer or two would make yet another welcome addition to the SQ.

In any case, glad to learn about modifications available in your location.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 11 months later...
Has anyone solved this without the modification from sun audio??

Sell the X300A and buy a pair of active KEF LS50 instead?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.