IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

If drivers are not needed for OSX (a kissing cousin version of Linux, frankly). Not sure why you, someone who keeps up, are questioning this; we've made this cause-effect dozens and dozens of times here.

There are similarities between OS X and Linux but they're not the same thing at all.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

That is point, with 192 model and firewire the sound is better

It's been my impression that only those using cheap or generic cables prefer FireWire. The cable has a far greater impact on sound quality than interface. USB offers so many more choices, with performance at lower prices getting better due to competition.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

There are similarities between OS X and Linux but they're not the same thing at all.

Yes, we understand they aren't the same, but in practice almost every Dac that works driverless with MACs also works with Linux.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

No sh$t! And that is not AT ALL what I said/wrote!! I said that when a dac does not need a MAC driver it is almost always means it is UAC2 compliant, meaning it will be Linux-friendly (and that one possibility of this consistency is that OSX is/was a kissing cousin of Linux). Show me where this UAC2 feature is not consistent; it would be a rare outlier. You questioned firedog's logic and I came to his defense, then you misrepresented what I said.

There was an event at RMAF where the Brooklyn Dac was presented in combination with MQA through Tidal. The message that got through to me is that Mytek has invested alot to MQA as a selling point as well as a mandatory future asset.

Meridian seem to be on the verge of an agressive promotion of their new format which looks ready to truly "take off" a year after it was first introuced to the public.Strategic collaborations with TIDAL and 7digital as well as the emergence of the first MQA capable devices such as daps from Pioneer etc and of course the Broklyn Mytek suggest such a development in 2015. Mytek with the Broolyn Dac appears to be a big part of this endeavor.

You can see more on the Facebook Page of MQA here https://www.facebook.com/mqasound?ref=profile

The picture Below is from the event and you can see the Booklyn dac next to a MacBook Pro down below. It looks that the Brooklyn dac is larger than it's predecessor.

I wish we could have a picture of It's innards..

12112230_393136807552713_4799593836521058620_n.jpg

No sh$t! And that is not AT ALL what I said/wrote!! I said that when a dac does not need a MAC driver it is almost always means it is UAC2 compliant, meaning it will be Linux-friendly (and that one possibility of this consistency is that OSX is/was a kissing cousin of Linux). Show me where this UAC2 feature is not consistent; it would be a rare outlier. You questioned firedog's logic and I came to his defense, then you misrepresented what I said.

You need to chill here: nobody attacked firedog and he doesn't need you for any 'defence' as shown above by his reply.

What I said is I am not sure how he came to that conclusion.

There are significant differences in how Linux supports DSD playback and how the same support exists in Mac OS X.

Do you actually know a lot of details about that?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

You need to chill here: nobody attacked firedog and he doesn't need you for any 'defence' as shown above by his reply.

What I said is I am not sure how he came to that conclusion.

There are significant differences in how Linux supports DSD playback and how the same support exists in Mac OS X.

Do you actually know a lot of details about that?

Yes. It is called USB Audio Class 2 (aka UAC2) and we've been chatting about it since 2010. It's important to distinguish UAC2 dacs cuz otherwise they often can't talk to streamers like Aries. And, via simple (but circumstantial and consistent) evidence it's easy to assume that if the dac's Mac USB handshake is driverless, then so is the Linux side. No chilling or stressing involved, btw, just reading and comprehending what was written. I've typed this now a couple times, and you concluded that Mac and Linux are not the same. They aren't, but in UAC2 they act pretty consistently.

Here, someone else other than me (and dog):

The Well-Tempered Computer

It's been my impression that only those using cheap or generic cables prefer FireWire. The cable has a far greater impact on sound quality than interface. USB offers so many more choices, with performance at lower prices getting better due to competition.

My experience, versus an impression, is that the Mytek fed music with FW sounds better than with "audiophile" USB cables...tried both AQ and WW expensive USB cables with my DSD192 and a $100 FW cable sounded better to my ears, more relaxed and musical.

Kind of makes sense, given Mytek's recording studio roots, where FW ruled.

Was sad to see it missing from Brooklyn, like I have been with recent Mac products...but then there is Thunderbolt.

Tone with Soul

Kind of makes sense, given Mytek's recording studio roots, where FW ruled.

Unfortunately, the FW interface from TC Electronic has soft/hardware limitation,

also for Manhattan model is able to handle up to 192 PCM, 64xDSD and 128xDSD,

so the FW interface was made sense for 192DSD model, but doesn't for Brooklyn,

Another issue is size of the back casing, there is not a lot of space for the next in/out,

From what I see in the picture I have attached below, on the screen of the Brookllyn there is the "INT" notification, therefore I assume YES.

No, thats used to indicate INTernal clocking.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Some last thoughts and the last for today.

Could the built in certified MQA hardware decoder mean that inside the brooklyn the presence of meridian tech is being used even further?

And what would that "meridian tech" entail exactly? Their ringing oversampling filters commonly found in their DACs and CD players, or the OEM delta sigma modulators they use?

And what would that "meridian tech" entail exactly? Their ringing oversampling filters commonly found in their DACs and CD players, or the OEM delta sigma modulators they use?

I think that this speculation has been clarified by me in the quoted previous post already

I've Just returned form the Local headphone show. https://www.facebook.com/events/419929858192450/

I talked to the Mytek dealer from whom I bought the 192 three years ago. The preorder program runs allright in Europe and the details about the procedure as well as the exact pricing will be determined in about two weeks.

He told me that the Brooklyn is a reworked/improved dac with many elements from the 192. The only Meridian element in It is the MQA support so no more speculation ;) He didn't know many details though

and he wasn't all that enthusiastic about the prospects of MQA either.. I couldn't ask him anymore because he was quite busy with all the people around him.

So only MQA form Meridian..

I think that this speculation has been clarified by me in the quoted previous post already

So only MQA form Meridian..

I've overlooked this subsequent post of yours, so thanks for the clarifying info.

As for all the hype around the MQA format, the only positive thing it could lead to IMO would be if audiophiles started selling their current DACs on eBay to get the new thing with MQA. ;)

I've overlooked this subsequent post of yours, so thanks for the clarifying info.

As for all the hype around the MQA format, the only positive thing it could lead to IMO would be if audiophiles started selling their current DACs on eBay to get the new thing with MQA. ;)

That didn't happen with DSD and won't happen with MQA if it ever takes off. If MQA has any luck is through streaming services and maybe at a later time if it is somehow incorporated in regular cd's something Like HDCD that can be ripped. And all this requires that record companies will be willing to spend on re encoding their back catalogues something unrealistic in those financially difficult times. So If It does't somehow manage to jump heavily on the streaming wagon It might end up to be the format that never was. As an antagonist of paid downloadable HI RES it simply has no luck.

I HATE to see vendor uses MQA codec! It was a failed format last time for a reason. One thing that they never tell you is that it cost MONEY.

There is no reason to pay for the greed of some particular vendor, since nowaday the open source formats are so capable, FLAC, Opus 1.1 (as being used in Google VP9 codec) are good examples.

"You HATE to see vendor uses MQA codec"? MQA is the future of where hi-fi is heading. It costs MONEY? So does a $100K turntable, equipped with a $10K cartridge! If you meant the music costs money, then by all means, this is a blessing for the artists, whose income has decreased because of illegal downloads! They deserve to make a living!

"You HATE to see vendor uses MQA codec"? MQA is the future of where hi-fi is heading.

MQA might be part of the streaming music world in the future. It's 4 to 1 reduction in the size of a 24/96 FLAC file is a handy feature for streaming services using CD quality bandwidth.

But I'm afraid that 24/96 FLAC and DSD music downloads (DSD 64 and above) offer much better sound than MQA encoded and decoded recordings to my ears. So MQA is a bit more limited in its desirability in a high quality audio system than you might think.

MQA might be part of the streaming music world in the future. It's 4 to 1 reduction in the size of a 24/96 FLAC file is a handy feature for streaming services using CD quality bandwidth.

But I'm afraid that 24/96 FLAC and DSD music downloads (DSD 64 and above) offer much better sound than MQA encoded and decoded recordings to my ears. So MQA is a bit more limited in its desirability in a high quality audio system than you might think.

So you heard such content? Iam asking out of curiosity because you must be the firs non professional impression of the format that I have heard.

So you heard such content? Iam asking out of curiosity because you must be the firs non professional impression of the format that I have heard.

Yes, I attended the West Coast debut of MQA at an audio store in Mountain View. They invited over 100 local audio fans to the store to hear MQA in a listening room and over headphones.