IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

11 hours ago, John Eaton said:

Just a heads up… The launch of Roon version 1.5 yesterday came with enhanced MQA support along with Tidal MQA format information.  This is a big plus for me. 

Finally, I can see (in Roon) which albums on Tidal are MQA. Before, I had to load the Tidal app to do that.

mQa is dead!

20 hours ago, mumsoft said:

I use Kodi on Volumio with my Raspberry. One need to set some audio settings right in Tidal to get MQA at work, but it's not difficult. I don't understand what Roon actually is or does. It costs money, for sure.

Roon is very good music management software that also incorporates Tidal into ones library relatively seamlesslessly. It does a decent job with discovery, but is really known for rich metadata and flexibility in how one manages their library.  It utilizes a server, a remote and an endpoint which can be 3 or more separate devices, or a single device like a laptop. It also supports dsp functions like upsampling, conversion to dsd, parametric EQ, etc. Additionally it enables multi room setups with independent or simultaneous streaming to different zones. The latest update folded in additional awareness around mqa. You can also get into more advanced configurations, but they are really starting to focus on simplicity, getting manufacturers to partner to be “Roon Ready” and creating a echosystem of products that “just work”.

It is beautiful software that is well worth the price of admission, and-at the same time there is enormous opportunity to further develope and improve it. I foresee it continuing to become more and more of a standard in the audiophile world and potentially becoming a true alternative to sonos for the masses

Ok, thanks. I think I grasp their purpose a bit better. And I can understand why it costs money. I only recently acquired a Raspberry and Tidal, the other gear I have prooved to be not compatible. I can also look back at 10 years editing metadata in my streamer, mainly with classical music. I believe that Roon tries to achieve the same, and more. With Tidal and classical music it's not such a feast, f.i. there seems to be no knowledge of compositions, just tracks and albums. With over 4000 already edited cd's, I tend to think that Roon is, maybe not too little, but for me too late. But worth a try.

3 hours ago, mumsoft said:

Ok, thanks. I think I grasp their purpose a bit better. And I can understand why it costs money. I only recently acquired a Raspberry and Tidal, the other gear I have prooved to be not compatible. I can also look back at 10 years editing metadata in my streamer, mainly with classical music. I believe that Roon tries to achieve the same, and more. With Tidal and classical music it's not such a feast, f.i. there seems to be no knowledge of compositions, just tracks and albums. With over 4000 already edited cd's, I tend to think that Roon is, maybe not too little, but for me too late. But worth a try.

There is definitely a relationship to compositions in the “Compositions” section of Roon, and if you scroll down after a search, you see a “Compositons” section. In Tidal results there is less of a relationship to compositions, but if you add a Tidal album to your library, the compositions section is more complete

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Lesanderson, thank you for the very well put succinct yet thorough description of Roon.  I agree Roon is beautiful software and will only get better over time.  I love the fact I can use whatever device is handy, iPhone, iPad, or notebook PC as a remote to control whichever zone in what ever part of the house I’m in at the time.  Of course, having a solid home network enhances the experience. (I’m using 3 eero’s and am quite satisfied) 

With Roon, Tidal, MQA, a Mytek Brooklyn, and a Raspberry Pi, it feels like I have expanded my hi rez music library from a few thousand tracks to infinity and beyond throughout the whole house.  (I feel like Buzz Lightyear ?)

Anyone else notice that with the latest Mytek driver, 4.36, in Server 2016 GUI, there is no 'Enhancements' tap and thus no option to 'disable all enhancements' in Sound/ Speaker properties?   First time I've noticed this omission in a few years of using the Brooklyn with Server 2016/ 2012.  In Windows 10, however, the 'Enhancements' tab is still present with 4.36.

The above oddity wouldn't necessarily be of much importance but I am also having playback issues with JPLAY streamer/ minimserver/ control point in Server 2016 GUI.  Currently doing troubleshooting but no resolution as yet. 

So I am trying to work out if my playback issues are anything to do with 4.36 or some another reason.  If anyone is successfully using a similar set up to mine, then perhaps they could chime in. Will probably contact Mytek support soon anyhow.

15 hours ago, John769 said:

So I am trying to work out if my playback issues are anything to do with 4.36 or some another reason

Having done some troubleshooting with JPLAY support (really helpful and responsive!) , it does appear to be 4.36 at fault.  I'm going to roll back to the last driver then. 

I have 4.14 (from Nov 17) on my HDD but are there any other later ones between that and 4.36?  If so, I would be grateful if someone could PM me with it.  Thanks! :)

Can't help you, sorry. No Windows here. But I have a habit to grab every update the Mytek provides, so I have now the whole collection of firmware upgrades for the Brooklyn on my disk. To my amazement I see now 2.32 as the latest firmware, whereas my Brooklyn is happily running 2.36. Weird.

8 hours ago, mumsoft said:

Can't help you, sorry. No Windows here. But I have a habit to grab every update the Mytek provides, so I have now the whole collection of firmware upgrades for the Brooklyn on my disk. To my amazement I see now 2.32 as the latest firmware, whereas my Brooklyn is happily running 2.36. Weird.

Thanks anyway, Mumsoft!  Actually it's the 'USB driver' before 4.36 (if not 4.14) that I'm after.  Yup, I'm also running 2.36 firmware and, as you say, a little disconcerting that they removed it!

Other strangeness I've noticed:  Using Mytek control Panel 1.30 in WIndows 10, there is no box to change latency setting, so if you prefer low or minimal latency, then tough luck!  And using 1.30 in Server 2016 GUI, there is only a box to select 'safe' or deselect.

The Brooklyn is a great sounding DAC but will likely be the last Mytek product I get.

If Mytek is wise, they embed the update facility in their products, and get rid of those external software solutions. It's no guarantee for their eternal existence though. My aged Olive 4 streamer has such a lovely OS-independent update  function, nevertheless the company is gone.But this year it's doing its duty for 10 years in a row. So, I like to think that my Brooklyn will serve my needs till I'm gone. Than indeed it will be my last Mytek product (cf my first Sony :cool:)

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, mumsoft said:

I have asked Mytek why firmware version 2.36 was replaced by 2.32 and got the answer that it must be a mistake.

That is curious.  Sounds like a lazy answer, but you are correct.  The Mytek website shows the current version is 2.32.  

In my case I reverted back to 2.32 last year because I didn't like the tiny blue dot MQA indicator in later firmware releases,  I prefer the bigger easier to see actual MQA logo, plus HID volume control is of no interest to me.

Sound wise I don't believe there is any difference. 

Problems with Mytek driver ver. 4.36 and Windows 10 build 1803 (April 2018 Update)

Windows (build 1803), in non-exclusive mode, apparently will only work at the 44,100 sample rate with the Mytek driver v. 4.36.

All programs that use exclusive mode (sound driver) work good. But when exiting such a program and the sample rate last used is different than 44,100, trying to play sound from Windows in non-exclusive mode (e.g. Youtube), no sound will play. The DAC must be reset to 44.1K -- the DAC must be turned off and turned on again so that Windows can reset the DAC's sample rate to 44.1.

Apparently, in the Speakers Properties panel, check buttons for the DAC capabilities is missing. E.g. In prior Windows versions, one could check off various sample rates, like 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192, etc.. Now, there is no such option and Windows has presumed a 44.1K sample rate.

Are other folks experiencing this problem?

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

Problems with Mytek driver ver. 4.36 and Windows 10 build 1803 (April 2018 Update)

Windows (build 1803), in non-exclusive mode, apparently will only work at the 44,100 sample rate with the Mytek driver v. 4.36.

All programs that use exclusive mode (sound driver) work good. But when exiting such a program and the sample rate last used is different than 44,100, trying to play sound from Windows in non-exclusive mode (e.g. Youtube), no sound will play. The DAC must be reset to 44.1K -- the DAC must be turned off and turned on again so that Windows can reset the DAC's sample rate to 44.1.

Apparently, in the Speakers Properties panel, check buttons for the DAC capabilities is missing. E.g. In prior Windows versions, one could check off various sample rates, like 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192, etc.. Now, there is no such option and Windows has presumed a 44.1K sample rate.

Are other folks experiencing this problem?

Even more information.

In the Speakers Properties panel, the only sample rate that will work is the one currently set on the DAC.  Apparently, Windows in non-exclusive mode is unable to change sample rates.

mQa is dead!

On 5/28/2018 at 9:24 PM, lucretius said:

Even more information.

In the Speakers Properties panel, the only sample rate that will work is the one currently set on the DAC.  Apparently, Windows in non-exclusive mode is unable to change sample rates.

OK. I found a solution.  In the Speakers Properties panel, one needs to uncheck "Give exclusive mode applications priority".

mQa is dead!

hello,  i have recentey become owner of the mytek brooklyn dac.

can someone explain me what the sync options for the mytek brooklyn mean?

mytek manual says there are 5 options:

-int

-wck

-in

-44,1 – 192 kHz

-x64 – x256 

i use as an input the s/pdif (the transport is a raspberry with allo-digi-one, using the s/pdif output)

what sync options am i supposed to use?

thanks a lot

29 minutes ago, ste976 said:

hello,  i have recentey become owner of the mytek brooklyn dac.

can someone explain me what the sync options for the mytek brooklyn mean?

mytek manual says there are 5 options:

-int

-wck

-in

-44,1 – 192 kHz

-x64 – x256 

i use as an input the s/pdif (the transport is a raspberry with allo-digi-one, using the s/pdif output)

what sync options am i supposed to use?

thanks a lot

Great DAC I have the same. The options are the sources of the clock. Mytek suggest quite firmly that the internal clock is best (int). The other options are external (wck) for word clock I expect. I have tried this with my Mutec external clock and usb to AES adapter. 

The other options I believe force the dac to leverage the source stream (music clock rate). And you can select depending on your current source. I’d suggest staying with ‘int’

4 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Great DAC I have the same. The options are the sources of the clock. Mytek suggest quite firmly that the internal clock is best (int). The other options are external (wck) for word clock I expect. I have tried this with my Mutec external clock and usb to AES adapter. 

The other options I believe force the dac to leverage the source stream (music clock rate). And you can select depending on your current source. I’d suggest staying with ‘int’

thanks a lot.

do you think i can use "int" also when the input i am using is s/pdif? 

the manual says "INT (Internal) / USB", so i thought it was to use only when the input is from USB...

23 minutes ago, ste976 said:

thanks a lot.

do you think i can use "int" also when the input i am using is s/pdif? 

the manual says "INT (Internal) / USB", so i thought it was to use only when the input is from USB...

Yes you can. Mine has been on int for all of its life with me. And I’m playing with ext now. You can switch live during playback without glitches to test 

2 minutes ago, mumsoft said:

With S/PDif choose IN, there is no INT with that kind of input (at least with my Brooklyn)

Ooh - I’ll have to check mine now.. I know I haven’t changed clock setting for AES or USB.