IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

On 9-3-2016 at 2:20 AM, lmitche said:

The Sigma 11 is a generic design that can run from 5 to 34 volts depending on how it's configured. Of course the current output and voltage also depends on the transformer and heatsinking. Goto amb.org to take a look.

A friend of mine built the board for me.

I'm using a AMB Sigma 11 also. What kind of heatsinks are you using? (Picture would be appreciated)

3 hours ago, Leeuwarden said:

I'm using a AMB Sigma 11 also. What kind of heatsinks are you using? (Picture would be appreciated)

I have three Sigma 11 LPSUs. A 12 volt unit uses 2.5 inch vertical heatsinks on the board per the AMB pcb design.  The second two have a board that is shortened to allow attachment to the inner wall of a case with external heatsinks.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Hello again,

Home now and have had a listen again.

Unfortunately the clicking is not just with Tidal MQA. It is also the standard 16/44 as well. the MQA issue persists too.

I can also hear clicking from stored files. My source is currently the Melco N1a, but I also tried my old source, the Auralic Aries Mini and the problem was still there.

So all of a sudden after zero problems with the Brooklyn something is definitely wrong. The clicking sounds a bit like the crackling one would get from vinyl. 

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Morph

* I've tried three different firmware versions with no luck either.

1 hour ago, Morph said:

Hello again,

Home now and have had a listen again.

Unfortunately the clicking is not just with Tidal MQA. It is also the standard 16/44 as well. the MQA issue persists too.

... (truncated for brevity)

My path would be to confirm whether it's the DAC or not.  I can think of 3 non-DAC (or limited to portions of the DAC) areas:

1. Source/input method. Sounds like you've tested sources, but did not say whether this included different input methods (USB vs S/PDIF, etc)

2. Output. Try headphones.

3. Power. Try a different power circuit (or maybe a different place like office) with a laptop.

1 minute ago, Morph said:

Hello rayl1234 

I'm purely usb here.

Will give headphones a go now.

The power circuit in use is the only viable one in my room but I'll switch plugs around just to try.

Thanks for your input

Morph

USB is interesting... I say that bec with a prior DAC (2 DACs ago), I had inescapable pops (which might be like your cracks, only louder). USB chips have come a long way since and I haven't seen such issues in recent years... Though you've tried different USB sources, I would still feel more comfortable if we can rule out USB.

One simple thought might be to change the Buffer Mode from Reliable to Extra Safe as a another test.

If it is isolated to USB, there are USB regenerators that can help, e.g. Schiit has one for $99: http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd  (15 day return policy if it doesn't work out). Back when I had USB issues, these didn't exist and I had to swap around powered USB hubs until I found one that behaved effectively as a clean-up regenerator.

1 minute ago, rayl1234 said:

USB is interesting... I say that bec with a prior DAC (2 DACs ago), I had inescapable pops (which might be like your cracks, only louder). USB chips have come a long way since and I haven't seen such issues in recent years... Though you've tried different USB sources, I would still feel more comfortable if we can rule out USB.

One simple thought might be to change the Buffer Mode from Reliable to Extra Safe as a another test.

If it is isolated to USB, there are USB regenerators that can help, e.g. Schiit has one for $99: http://www.schiit.com/products/wyrd  (15 day return policy if it doesn't work out). Back when I had USB issues, these didn't exist and I had to swap around powered USB hubs until I found one that behaved effectively as a clean-up regenerator.

I've just swapped my Tellurium Q Silver Diamond for the TQ Graphite and played an MQA from Tidal with no drop outs or clicks. Dug out a Curious USB and same again... no issue. Will keep at this to be certain. It seems I may somehow have managed to damage my most expensive USB cable. Don't know whether to laugh or cry! Will keep testing.

Thank you rayl1234

Morph

Ok so I've just put the TQ Silver Diamond USB back into the system and its dropouts and clicks again. Seems it's damaged. Will have to send it off for a fix. That said, it's great to hear both of my 'old' alternatives again, they both give something different to the systems output.

Thanks again for your input rayl1234.  Hopefully this is the correct conclusion ( apart from having to get the Silver Diamond repaired! ).

Morph

7 minutes ago, Morph said:

Ok so I've just put the TQ Silver Diamond USB back into the system and its dropouts and clicks again. Seems it's damaged. Will have to send it off for a fix. That said, it's great to hear both of my 'old' alternatives again, they both give something different to the systems output.

Thanks again for your input rayl1234.  Hopefully this is the correct conclusion ( apart from having to get the Silver Diamond repaired! ).

Morph

Glad it was that simple.  Once I heard that all sources were USB, the memory of my past struggles with USB popping sounds was reawaken....

3 minutes ago, rayl1234 said:

Glad it was that simple.  Once I heard that all sources were USB, the memory of my past struggles with USB popping sounds was reawaken....

Perhaps I should consider alternatives. But that said having laid out the money for the USBs I was determined to use them!

• 3 weeks later...

I will probably buy a Mytek Brooklyn next week and am seeking opinions on the better option for follow up service and repair if needed. Buy direct from Mytek in NYC or www.moon-audio.com? Moon has the Brooklyn in stock. I am using Tidal almost exclusively now and need a great DAC to decode MQA. Thanks!

2 hours ago, exdmd said:

I will probably buy a Mytek Brooklyn next week and am seeking opinions on the better option for follow up service and repair if needed. Buy direct from Mytek in NYC or www.moon-audio.com? Moon has the Brooklyn in stock. I am using Tidal almost exclusively now and need a great DAC to decode MQA. Thanks!

Brookyn DAC+ becomes available on the 16th, so it is about a week away.

May be worthwhile waiting and then compare the Brookyn with this new + version.

just a thought

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

50 minutes ago, Leeuwarden said:

Any info on this DAC+?

It is mentioned earlier in the RMAF Reader Reports thread ... just quoted the relevant

Brooklyn DAC+ info from the post below.

22 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

New Mytek Brooklyn+ announced. 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                   RMAF: Lobby Booth #13   

Press Contact: Bryan Stanton [email protected]

Mytek Introduces New Brooklyn DAC+ With Upgraded Performance; Now Shipping: Brooklyn AMP, Plus Optional Phono and Roon Cards for Manhattan II

2017 RMAF, October 6, 2017Mytek, manufacturer of professional ADC/DACs and consumer DACs, unveiled at RMAF 2017 a brand new model of the highly-acclaimed Brooklyn DSD/MQA DAC, the Brooklyn DAC+.

Brooklyn DAC+, priced at $2,195, features redesigned and enhanced conversion, analog and power supply circuits, resulting in overall improved sound quality. Improvements include the new Sabre 9028PRO DAC chipset for enhanced resolution and better digital filter options, upgraded headphone amplifier, better L/R separation, larger capacity power supply and new, very transparent analog attenuator circuit.

All these quality improvements result in even more convincing digital PCM, DSD and MQA playback and streaming as well as state of the art M/C, M/M Phono musical experience. The Brooklyn DAC+’s new headphone circuitry performance challenges many dedicated headphone amplifiers.

A lot of praises were written about the Brooklyn DAC, which has sold many thousands of units since the launch of MQA. The new Brooklyn DAC+ provides users with benefits of the newest conversion technologies, while retaining the amazing versatility and affordability that the original Brooklyn DAC has been praised for. 

Shipments of the Brooklyn DAC+ start Oct. 16th, 2017.

<Snip>

<Snip>

Mytek 2017 RMAF press release.docx

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

14 hours ago, Duke40 said:

Brookyn DAC+ becomes available on the 16th, so it is about a week away.

May be worthwhile waiting and then compare the Brookyn with this new + version.

just a thought

First I heard of the DAC+ thank you kindly makes sense to wait

Edit: unless there are some specials on NOS original Brooklyn DACs at places like Moon Audio. At $1500 I might go with the original Brooklyn as reason for purchase is to be able to unfold fully MQA releases at Tidal. Interesting times.