IGNORED

iFi iUSB 3.0 usb regenerator (with xxx pictures)

I just put my hands on the new iFi USB regenerator - iUSB 3.0. It seems that after the Regen's success, those divices are gonna pop up on the market ... fast.

Not suprisingly, USB jitter and eliminating packet noise are the new hot words.

Didn't have the time to plug it in (and with my current schedule that may take 2-3 weeks), but at least I had 10 min to take some naked pics.

Enjoy !

ifi 1.jpg

ifi 2.jpg

ifi 3.jpg

ifi 5.jpg

Micro-iUSB3-02.38.png

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

I just put my hands on the new iFi USB regenerator - iUSB 3.0. It seems that after the Regen's success, those divices are gonna pop up on the market ... fast.

Not suprisingly, USB jitter and eliminating packet noise are the new hot words.

Didn't have the time to plug it in (and with my current schedule that may take 2-3 weeks), but at least I had 10 min to take some naked pics.

Enjoy !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21265[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21266[/ATTACH]

so you still haven't taken a listen yet?

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

I have the iFi USB 3.0...and the Uptone Regen.

I also have many other things referenced a lot on this forum...

-- Sbooster active power supply mod/addon for the Regen,

-- Aqvox 20cm USB cord

-- Audioquest Jitterbug

-- Supra USB cable (and many others),

-- Chinese LPS

-- Auralic Aries

-- Fanless PC server, and all the Sotm Filters/USB cards on a regular PC

You're probably thinking I'm crazy and in the 'minority of one' having all those different things. However, I have 3 systems...plus...unlike most tweaks...this is an area where things can make more than a modest improvement.

At some point, I'll do a more official post of my thoughts, but I'm still testing. Right now, I can say the Regen definitely works, but I still need to compare it to the new iFi and I'm also testing if the quality of server matters anymore (i.e. comparing their effect on an unmodified, typical PC versus Auralic Aries versus fanless/optimized power supply server).

I don't get on this forum much, but I'll try to share my findings if I have time and their is interest. FYI, Facebook audiophile groups are where I'm much more active.

speshal...kindly keep us posted...and where shall I look for you on facebook? Name search of "speshal" or "audiophile group" reaped no results.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

I'm also testing if the quality of server matters anymore (i.e. comparing their effect on an unmodified, typical PC versus Auralic Aries versus fanless/optimized power supply server).

Looking forward to your impressions as well, particularly regarding the above.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

speshal...kindly keep us posted...and where shall I look for you on facebook? Name search of "speshal" or "audiophile group" reaped no results.

I'm in a few groups on Facebook...

Audiophiles - North America

Audiophile and Music Buffs of Facebook

Audiophiles on a budget

the audiophile group

Again, I don't have lot's of time to craft formal reviews, but I have a minute and will try to give you what I know at this point. When I finish testing, I'll try to a do something formal both here and on Facebook because these things can really help most people's systems.

As I mentioned, the Uptone Regen gets a big thumbs up from me. In it's stock form, the difference was notable with every DAC I tried ranging from $3500 to $900. Some galvanically isolated DACs paired with awesome music servers like the Antipodes server might see much more modest improvements, if any. I heard a few DAC/Server combinations at RMAF that didn't have the traditional digital problems that the Regen helps fix. However, they were all mega dollar systems (except the Grace Design M20 and Lyngdorf TDAI) so I think it's safe to say it will work with most people's setups.

The intriguing thing happened when I started changing the power supply to the Regen. The stock one is just fine and ideal for the vast majority of people, but going to the Chinese LPS and then the Sbooster was pretty neat. I wouldn't say it made a tremendous difference like inserting the Regen, but it was an incremental improvement that I feel comfortable recommending for those that have the budget to add it.

The Jitterbug is cheap and didn't harm the sound at all, but adding it provided less improvement than either the Regen or power supply upgrades. It would be hard to A/B confirm the differences because I could only detect possible improvements on certain material. I can't give 100% recommendation based on strictly sonics like the Regen, but at the cost, it's easy to try for yourself. Depending on the quality of your server, it may help more or less.

I'm now at the point of testing the brand new iFi USB 3.0 and whether these things work as well on a totally Fanless server with optimized power supply. The iFi is more expensive, but has more substantial aesthetics and is a hub too. I've tried it on my headphone setup thus far, but no A/B comparisons yet to the Regen...maybe this weekend.

FWIW, I also tested the Sotm usb card and fan filter/ssd filter inside my conventional pc. I didn't hear an improvement with the Regen already in the system.

Also, I liked the Supra USB cable going into the Regen from the PC, but I didn't like the stock adapter provided with the Regen into the DAC. I tried a Belkin 6in which was better.

Actually, a longer USB high end cable sounded better to me than the adapter even though Uptone recommends putting it as close as possible to the DAC chip. This anecdotally tells me that the power supply isolation from the PC is creating a lot of the improvements I'm hearing with the Regen, so I got the Aqvox 20cm USB cable to give a high quality interface to the DAC as close as possible. Haven't had chance to insert it in the system and do formal testing yet, but it could add additional improvements.

Theoretically, when I insert the fanless server with the Aqvox cable and either the iFi USB 3.0 or Regen/sbooster, I should have the best possible source signal into my DACs. However, that remains to be proven. It will be interesting to see if it plays out that way and all those things are really 'necessary'.

As of now, here's what I recommend for the biggest bang for your buck...Get the Uptone Regen first and see if it makes a difference in your system. If so, then you should try the Sbooster power supply upgrade. Next, upgrade your USB if necessary to the Supra USB and maybe the Aqvox short cable in place of the cheap adapter. If you have money to burn, go for a Jitterbug (or two) and Sotm stuff just to cover the last 1% of what may help in server dependent scenarios.

It's possible that the iFi USB 3.0 can accomplish many of the same improvements, but I can't confirm that yet.

I posted my impressions of the new iFi usb 3.0 on the Regen sponsored page.

In retrospect, I should have posted it here.

So here is a summary of that posting.

Update:

Well from this early stage after playing the IFi non stop with the some burn indiscs there has been an ongoing improvement in sound quality. I have found that although the iFi supplied AC power supply is supposed to be great, using my 9VLinear power supply that I was powering the Regens with also improved the iFiunit.

So, right now I am playing music through the iFi only (the Regens are not connected). To me, right now, the sound quality is just as good as with the Regens if my memory is correct (perhaps... gulp, better.

But, I have not done any back and forth comparison yet. And even when I attempt that it will probably be very hard to compare since I have to turn off the Dac and it resets itself.

Perhaps tomorrow, I will add the Regens after the iFi to see if there is synergy in the units.

Could you mention cables and gear, too, if not a hassle (or point me/us to it if you have mentioned itbefore)?

Well I am using a Bryston BDP-2 for thesource. My Dacis the PS Audio Direct Stream. My Amp is a Pass Labs X350.5 and my speakers are Eggleston Andra 2. Most of my cabling is HiDiamond (top of there line) powercords, interconnects and speaker cables.

I also use a PS Audio P-10 power conditioner on my digital equipment only. Ihave 3 dedicated circuits. One for the digital, one for my analog and one formy JL Audio F-113 subwoofers. My outlets are all Furutech GTX Rhodium.

For tweaks I use Nordost QV2's in unused outlets. I also have 3 Acoustic Reviveunits , the RR 888, 777, 77.

For footers I am using Stillpoints Ultra SS under all of my components.

I hope this helps.

Slippers-on, I hear you it may be overkill but I am the type that likes to tweak. Sometimes it matters , sometimes it doesn't. After all, who wouldn't want to be able to hear Diana Krall "toot" in the extreme background ?

I'm only kidding of course but I do want to see how far back the sound stage can go.

Right now, I have both the Regens and the new iFi unit working together, and the sound is very nice. I have the iFi going into the Regens. The Regens are going into the Dac.All are now powered by a single linear power supply.

I guess, I will then use just the Regens and see what changes. If something degrades then I will know there is some type of synergy with the iFi.

After that, I will still need to run the Regens into the iFi.

I just wish I could do a quick A/B test on the different units and/or combos.

sdube,

Ok, I think I have a conclusion.

Drum roll please....

The 2 Regens by themselves was not as good as in combo with the iFi.

But!...

The best combo is having the Regens plugged into the iFi. The iFi then goes into the Dac. Absolutely the best sound so far.

I'm in a few groups on Facebook...

Audiophiles - North America

Audiophile and Music Buffs of Facebook

Audiophiles on a budget

the audiophile group

Again, I don't have lot's of time to craft formal reviews, but I have a minute and will try to give you what I know at this point. When I finish testing, I'll try to a do something formal both here and on Facebook because these things can really help most people's systems.

As I mentioned, the Uptone Regen gets a big thumbs up from me. In it's stock form, the difference was notable with every DAC I tried ranging from $3500 to $900. Some galvanically isolated DACs paired with awesome music servers like the Antipodes server might see much more modest improvements, if any. I heard a few DAC/Server combinations at RMAF that didn't have the traditional digital problems that the Regen helps fix. However, they were all mega dollar systems (except the Grace Design M20 and Lyngdorf TDAI) so I think it's safe to say it will work with most people's setups.

The intriguing thing happened when I started changing the power supply to the Regen. The stock one is just fine and ideal for the vast majority of people, but going to the Chinese LPS and then the Sbooster was pretty neat. I wouldn't say it made a tremendous difference like inserting the Regen, but it was an incremental improvement that I feel comfortable recommending for those that have the budget to add it.

The Jitterbug is cheap and didn't harm the sound at all, but adding it provided less improvement than either the Regen or power supply upgrades. It would be hard to A/B confirm the differences because I could only detect possible improvements on certain material. I can't give 100% recommendation based on strictly sonics like the Regen, but at the cost, it's easy to try for yourself. Depending on the quality of your server, it may help more or less.

I'm now at the point of testing the brand new iFi USB 3.0 and whether these things work as well on a totally Fanless server with optimized power supply. The iFi is more expensive, but has more substantial aesthetics and is a hub too. I've tried it on my headphone setup thus far, but no A/B comparisons yet to the Regen...maybe this weekend.

FWIW, I also tested the Sotm usb card and fan filter/ssd filter inside my conventional pc. I didn't hear an improvement with the Regen already in the system.

Also, I liked the Supra USB cable going into the Regen from the PC, but I didn't like the stock adapter provided with the Regen into the DAC. I tried a Belkin 6in which was better.

Actually, a longer USB high end cable sounded better to me than the adapter even though Uptone recommends putting it as close as possible to the DAC chip. This anecdotally tells me that the power supply isolation from the PC is creating a lot of the improvements I'm hearing with the Regen, so I got the Aqvox 20cm USB cable to give a high quality interface to the DAC as close as possible. Haven't had chance to insert it in the system and do formal testing yet, but it could add additional improvements.

Theoretically, when I insert the fanless server with the Aqvox cable and either the iFi USB 3.0 or Regen/sbooster, I should have the best possible source signal into my DACs. However, that remains to be proven. It will be interesting to see if it plays out that way and all those things are really 'necessary'.

As of now, here's what I recommend for the biggest bang for your buck...Get the Uptone Regen first and see if it makes a difference in your system. If so, then you should try the Sbooster power supply upgrade. Next, upgrade your USB if necessary to the Supra USB and maybe the Aqvox short cable in place of the cheap adapter. If you have money to burn, go for a Jitterbug (or two) and Sotm stuff just to cover the last 1% of what may help in server dependent scenarios.

It's possible that the iFi USB 3.0 can accomplish many of the same improvements, but I can't confirm that yet.

Thanks for the review! I do have the iUSB3.0 and am very interested in the REGEN as well. I will continue to look for your updates as well. Thank you!

I put the Jitterbug on the side open USB on the new iFi.

and????

Hey guys...I've received quite a few private messages, so I wanted to give a quick update.

I put the iFi 3.0 in place of the Regen this weekend in one of my systems. It's not my highest end system in terms of speakers (Maggie 1.7 with dual Rel Subs), but the electronics are all top notch. I have a separate system with super high-end Wisdom Audio Adrenaline speakers, but the Maggie room makes more sense for a variety of reasons. I'll try to explain all the equipment and room used in a separate post if people are interested, but this is just a quick update.

As for testing, I usually do comparisons in 2 stages. First, I try to listen for large differences on specific reference tracks where I usually hear the biggest differences in digital. These tracks include unamplified music as well as male/female vocals to test for sibilance and transient response (the most common result of jitter and poor power supply issues, respectively).

I was able to do this initial stage of comparison this weekend...and....

I honestly couldn't tell a material difference between the iFi and the Regen. Both did well and I couldn't discern a big edge either way on these recordings.

Sorry for the anti-climactic update, but I strictly call it like I hear it. It's going to take more time to flush out the differences between the two, but I can at least conclude both products are worthwhile and high quality additions.

The next step is Stage 2 which is my more time consuming comparison. It entails using a much larger reference recording playlist. Usually, I'll listen to this longer playlist WITHOUT focusing too much on anything in particular. I'm intimately familiar with those tracks and how they sound on a wide range of products. Thus, if I hear something that is even slightly better or worse than I've heard before, it will catch my attention. If it's enough to catch my attention while doing something else, then it provides a good secondary litmus test of a legitimate difference.

Unfortunately, the playlist is long and takes a lot of time to listen, so maybe by next weekend I'll have an another update.

My playlist/comparison won't be 100% applicable to others, but if you want to know my reference playlist, here's a link to most of it on Tidal - http://tidal.com/playlist/8d02d738-ee9f-492e-97a2-3f39e19f0afe

BTW, I'm also going to try running both the Regen and iFi in series together, so stay tuned.

These tracks include unamplified music as well as male/female vocals to test for sibilance and transient response (the most common result of jitter and poor power supply issues, respectively).

I honestly couldn't tell a material difference between the iFi and the Regen. Both did well and I couldn't discern a big edge either way on these recordings.

I am also sensitive to sibilants. My experience is that conventional dome tweeters usually have a "shouting" behavior that usually brings some additional sibiliance. Some are better in hiding it (such as Morel's).

Your great Maggies should behave well in that regard.

Raidho's tweeters are my favorite in combining extension, bite and musicality. Always accurate and true to source.

Sorry for the anti-climactic update, but I strictly call it like I hear it. It's going to take more time to flush out the differences between the two, but I can at least conclude both products are worthwhile and high quality additions.

The next step is Stage 2 which is my more time consuming comparison. It entails using a much larger reference recording playlist. Usually, I'll listen to this longer playlist WITHOUT focusing too much on anything in particular. I'm intimately familiar with those tracks and how they sound on a wide range of products. Thus, if I hear something that is even slightly better or worse than I've heard before, it will catch my attention. If it's enough to catch my attention while doing something else, then it provides a good secondary litmus test of a legitimate difference.

Unfortunately, the playlist is long and takes a lot of time to listen, so maybe by next weekend I'll have an another update.

Nice report. I also prefer this way of relaxed listening. Excessive focus on the sound itself and looking for differences always keeps me away from the music. In the end, it's my emotional state that tells me if I enjoyed more or less a certain component versus another.

Hey guys...I've received quite a few private messages, so I wanted to give a quick update.

I put the iFi 3.0 in place of the Regen this weekend in one of my systems. It's not my highest end system in terms of speakers (Maggie 1.7 with dual Rel Subs), but the electronics are all top notch. I have a separate system with super high-end Wisdom Audio Adrenaline speakers, but the Maggie room makes more sense for a variety of reasons. I'll try to explain all the equipment and room used in a separate post if people are interested, but this is just a quick update.

As for testing, I usually do comparisons in 2 stages. First, I try to listen for large differences on specific reference tracks where I usually hear the biggest differences in digital. These tracks include unamplified music as well as male/female vocals to test for sibilance and transient response (the most common result of jitter and poor power supply issues, respectively).

My playlist/comparison won't be 100% applicable to others, but if you want to know my reference playlist, here's a link to most of it on Tidal - http://tidal.com/playlist/8d02d738-ee9f-492e-97a2-3f39e19f0afe

BTW, I'm also going to try running both the Regen and iFi in series together, so stay tuned.

Thanks for the uopdate!

Well, I can tell the difference between the Regen's and the iFi unit quite well.

Now, I am not the type who uses flowery phrases and such to describe audio quality.

So, I will keep my audio description very basic.

To me, the iFi provides more stage depth and a realism that makes live music sound like its right in my room. The Regen has more dynamics and better bass.

Separately, they are good but, together they have given me the best sound I could imagine.

Well, I can tell the difference between the Regen's and the iFi unit quite well.

Now, I am not the type who uses flowery phrases and such to describe audio quality.

So, I will keep my audio description very basic.

To me, the iFi provides more stage depth and a realism that makes live music sound like its right in my room. The Regen has more dynamics and better bass.

Separately, they are good but, together they have given me the best sound I could imagine.

I hope you don't experiment further with any AQ Jitterbug's. I'm envisioning a Rube Goldberg Machine. :) By the way - this is not a shot at anyone. I'm part of the club. But I can see why some of our friends/family think we (audiophiles) are a bit, um, eccentric.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

gldgate, I hear ya, but it is fun.

I relate it to a 3 way speaker system. Each unit has it special qualities that allows the sound to blend together.

Imitche, the iFi has an extra usb port on the side just for that purpose, but with the Regens in the chain that negates the 3.0 option.

I do have an external hardrive plugged into that side port in which I believe is still supposed to provide a cleaner path for the hardrive.

Does the IFI USB 3 work at Superspeed if you run a USB 3 cable and PC USB 3 port to it, and then split to a REGEN on one port and USB 3 HDD on the other? Or does the presence of a USB 2 connection pull all hub related devices down to that speed?

Actually I was thinking of using it as a kind of isolation point for my HDD enclosure into my server. I'm finding all sorts of benefits are gained by tweaking this connection. My USB connection to the DAC is just delightful, so I would not use it there.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio