IGNORED

Raspberry PI as NAS

Hi Guys:

I would like to know if someone are using a dedicated raspberry as nas in your hifi system.

I heard so much people using raspberry as transporte.. so someone have the same idea as me?

issac

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Fear build walls! Roger Waters

I would like to know if someone are using a dedicated raspberry as nas in your hifi system.

I heard so much people using raspberry as transporte.. so someone have the same idea as me?

For a NAS, you really need SATA ports; don't you?

On that basis, I'd say RPI is a bad fit, given there are other better options.

For a NAS, you really need SATA ports; don't you?

On that basis, I'd say RPI is a bad fit, given there are other better options.

It is limited to 100Mbit network so this is an even bigger bottleneck than lack of SATA. Connecting drives to the RPi via USB2 in theory gives you 480Mbits/s.

But as long as you understand the limitations it is still fast enough for music and video streaming, plus it sips electricity.

Here's an example Réalisation de mon multiroom audio à base de Raspberry Pi et Hifiberry - Maison et Domotique

Hi!

Thankyou for the feedback. I know there are many persons that are using Pi as Transporter (I checked the volumio sw before).

However, no ones are using as NAS? I don't know using a NFS share or something like that?

I know it's only 100Mbits, but is necessary more? this will improve the sound quality?

Issac

Warm Regards,

Issac Ohasi

Fear build walls! Roger Waters

Thankyou for the feedback. I know there are many persons that are using Pi as Transporter (I checked the volumio sw before).

However, no ones are using as NAS? I don't know using a NFS share or something like that?

I know it's only 100Mbits, but is necessary more? this will improve the sound quality?

I'll ask the question: why are you thinking of doing this, when that MB is not designed for this?

You can get a celeron based MB from ECS or ASRock for not much more money, but far more features: multiple SATA and USB ports, GB ethernet, etc.

Hi!

Issac

100Mbits is fine for streaming audio. OpenMediaVault distributes a Pi2 image, download and try it out.

I personally don't hear a difference between any of the music servers I have used but ymmv.

100Mbits is fine for streaming audio. OpenMediaVault distributes a Pi2 image, download and try it out.

I personally don't hear a difference between any of the music servers I have used but ymmv.

Maybe more appropriate to call this what it is, then: a dedicated music server?

In that case, maybe makes more sense. When I read "NAS" I was assuming more general purpose (music + other stuff).

Maybe more appropriate to call this what it is, then: a dedicated music server?

In that case, maybe makes more sense. When I read "NAS" I was assuming more general purpose (music + other stuff).

Why do you think it can't work as NAS?

Well, a Prius could "work" in a car race, but not sure you'd want to use it in that context.

I see nothing in the specs of the RPI (as I mentioned earlier) that are in any way competitive to other, low-priced, options.

But my view is a NAS needs multiple drives, RAID redundancy, and fast ethernet. Otherwise, why bother?

Well, a Prius could "work" in a car race, but not sure you'd want to use it in that context.

I see nothing in the specs of the RPI (as I mentioned earlier) that are in any way competitive to other, low-priced, options.

But my view is a NAS needs multiple drives, RAID redundancy, and fast ethernet. Otherwise, why bother?

The question isn't whether you or I would use one.

Using your car analogy, not everyone wants a race car as their daily drive ;). Different devices fit different needs and budgets.

For those with more computer skills: could a 2008 Macbook laptop (extra, not in use, but longing for action) be repurposed as a functional nas with some type of external box to hold multiple large drives)?

If so, what would be cost effective ways to go it?

In my experience, the part of the NAS which is most important and costly is the enclosure and its interface.

You *can* do these things, e.g. with an external USB enclosure, but why? Just get a Netgear 204 and be done with it. Or get something more powerful. If you essentially embed a Raspberry Pi in the enclosure, you are going to get something very suboptimal and for nearly the same expense you could have something very functional. Now that Netgear has embraced BTRFS I'm happy to recommend.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.