IGNORED

Best AES/EBU Audio card to replace my Lynx AES16 ?

mcjim

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Sonore to Vortexbox 2.3 and have discovered there's no driver support for my much loved Lynx AES16 sound card. I had been using the AES/EBU output/input to my McIntosh MX151 (which has on board DAC) and would prefer to stay with this approach

I'd also prefer to stay with Vortexbox or OpenElec / Kodi as the interface.

Welcome your opinion as to the best bang for buck audio card, which is directly comparable or superior to the Lynx AES16. Stello U3 for eg.? Others ?

Thanks in advance to all / Jim

McIntosh MX151, McIntosh MC452 (L&R), McIntosh MC303, Revel Ultima Salon 2's (L&R), Revel Ultima Voice 2 (Centre), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Rears), McIntosh MC452 (Second Zone - 2 Channel), Revel Ultima Gem 2 (Second Zone), MIT Magnum MA (Interconnects/XLR's), Audience AU24e (Speaker Cables), Furutech Evolution Digital AES/EBU, Aurender N10 (Music Server), Oppo BD95 (Blu-ray), Nordost QX4 (Mains Purifier), Quantum Base QB8 (Power Distribution),

Nordost Blue Heaven (Power Leads),

Billy Bags (Cracked Glass, AV Rack)

~

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim

What about the SOtM dx-USB HD? I use it my personal setup together with it Battery PSU (SOtM mBPS-d2s) and i can HIGHLY recommend both of them.

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

I don't have any instructions, but you could look at putting OSS (Open Sound System) on your Vortexbox to replace ALSA. The Lynx AES16 has drivers for OSS (iirc).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Jim

What about the SOtM dx-USB HD? I use it my personal setup together with it Battery PSU (SOtM mBPS-d2s) and i can HIGHLY recommend both of them.

Best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Do you like it more then the PPA V3/V4 card?

Best, Ruben

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

Hi Ruben

These are different parts. You still need a USB Card (standard, SOtM, PPA, JCAT, whatever) to connect the SOtM DDC. My Setup might be inspirational for you, please have a look: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/hardware-setup.pdf

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my Sonore to Vortexbox 2.3 and have discovered there's no driver support for my much loved Lynx AES16 sound card. I had been using the AES/EBU output/input to my McIntosh MX151 (which has on board DAC) and would prefer to stay with this approach

I'd also prefer to stay with Vortexbox or OpenElec / Kodi as the interface.

Welcome your opinion as to the best bang for buck audio card, which is directly comparable or superior to the Lynx AES16. Stello U3 for eg.? Others ?

Thanks in advance to all / Jim

I would go with an outboard USB/SPDIF converter instead. IME they are much more advanced/better sounding than the best PCIe cards available.

I had written a lenghty comparo of some 15+ USB/SPDIF converters 2 years ago:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/

There are some new devices on the market right now, which are discussed at the end of this thread.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 1 year later...