IGNORED

Aqua DACs gaining steam - reviews and thoughts

priceless.

I start to think more and more that we audiophiles went too far on analytical and super hight resolution systems, too sensitive to each and every tweeking...

I agree... and disagree :) Several tweaks really can lend themselves to superior playback. The key is balance - I enjoy the "tweaky" part of this hobby almost as much as the music. But, that's my thing - I generally prefer the journey, not the destination. I like the hunt for new products, the research, building everything, repositioning, measuring, and sure all of that involves "listening" but not really "sit back, enjoy your work, and crank some tunes" kind of listening. It's listening with a purpose - to find flaws, be critical, not accept any compromises you don't have to. A different analogy is that I used to LOVE wrenching on and tuning cars, specifically turbo 4-cylinders. But once it was all said and done, I could *never* just leave the tune alone, I always looked for some way to improve some aspect of the car. Why? Because driving it, after all was said and done, was comparatively boring :)

However, since really dialing in everything in my room, switching over to i2S and now Roon (Jplay driver to make use of the Kernel Streaming driver from Pink Faun)... I will just echo what eltee00 said. I can just sit, listen, and enjoy. It's not saying much but I haven't mucked with anything in a few weeks now.

With that said, my XLR board arrives next week for La Voce - this is due to my layout, I need almost 4m of cabling between my DAC and preamp, so going balanced just makes sense here. And apparently there is some sort of tweak/upgrade available for my amp (Nuprime ST-10) from Aether Audio, which is evidently just up the road from me - and I NEVER get to say that - so I may look into that soon as well, at least to figure out what it might offer. But, I don't feel compelled to do so, but it's nice just having the option I s'pose.

Anyway, eltee, congrats on the new gear, would love further thoughts!

Todd

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

The uRendu is claimed to be USB only, not i2s.

I have had the Scala mkii for about five months. I love it. I am hearing more in the music that I have been listening to for 45 years.

Aqua now has a distributor in the U.S. I purchased mine directly from the manufacturer in April. There is a five year warranty and any upgrades during the five years are included. They told me when I purchased it that the i2S interface could be adapted for the Sonore Signature Rendu. However, Sonore is coming out with a new product called the Urendu that will be considered a "Roon remote" device. This will have an Ethernet and USB ports and the Roon software in it. There is a thread on this forum about it. I have switched to Roon after years of frustration with JRiver and it is sensational. So I may be purchasing the Urendu.

From what I understand from reading posts on the thread, it may be possible to adapt the Sonore Signature Rendu to be a "Roon remote" but it would be difficult and there are no plans to do so at this time.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 weeks later...

Some further comments about the La Scala. This is hands down the best DAC that I've listened to. I've had the Teddy DAC, NAD M51, Auralic Vega, Lampizator Amber, and the Line Magnetic 502CA before, but all with different gears. The Amber and Vega had been with the same integrated and speakers though. I kept wanting to come back and write a more detailed review, but honestly I don't even care to analyze how the DAC sounds most of the time. I simply just enjoy the music, and it is the first time a DAC has presented music in a way that is so natural that nothing really stands out that allow me to comment on.

But if I were to describe the sound of the DAC, it would be that treble is a bit rolled-off in a very natural way. All the details are there but they don't present themselves in a way that grabs your attention. They are there when you want to be analytical, and when just listening casually, the presentation is very pleasing and paints a balanced and complete picture. It seems to make everything sound really good, even poorly recorded music.

I find myself skip tracks much less often, because everything sounded good. Even songs that I didn't think were well composed or written, I would continued to listen because they sounded so great. I don't think about the gears anymore, I just enjoy the music.

Here is quote from a review I've read about the La Scala and it captures perfectly how I feel about the DAC.

"I could listen for hours and hours with this DAC to every kind of music you can think of. Lounge music, country, pop, jazz, baroque or any other classical music. Only occasionally did I long for a little extra speed from this great piece of electronics. A bit more drive on some CDs is all I desire. A minor wish because La Scala has presented itself as one of the most beautiful and capable digital to analogue converters I’ve had in my home system. I know it’s expensive and that DACs are available for less than one tenth of the retail price, but for me it is worth the money because of the excellent way all music is handled. Details never show up as if under a magnifying glass but they are no doubt there. On RCA or BNC the sound stage is a bit small but very deep. On XLR the stage is wide but not as deep. But I lose interest in these details as soon as I start listening to music."

Yes it sounds wonderful and I anticipate they will be coming up with a free upgrade over the next few years. John Darko who was the to first review it gives it his highest rating. He is now using a Curious Cable (USB) with it and he stated it was better than the $1,000 LH Labs 10G. This cable is made in Australia and is sold directly by the manufacturer. I am planning on purchasing one. 6 Moons is in the process of reviewing it.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I agree... and disagree :) Several tweaks really can lend themselves to superior playback. The key is balance - I enjoy the "tweaky" part of this hobby almost as much as the music. But, that's my thing - I generally prefer the journey, not the destination. I like the hunt for new products, the research, building everything, repositioning, measuring, and sure all of that involves "listening" but not really "sit back, enjoy your work, and crank some tunes" kind of listening. It's listening with a purpose - to find flaws, be critical, not accept any compromises you don't have to. A different analogy is that I used to LOVE wrenching on and tuning cars, specifically turbo 4-cylinders. But once it was all said and done, I could *never* just leave the tune alone, I always looked for some way to improve some aspect of the car. Why? Because driving it, after all was said and done, was comparatively boring :)

However, since really dialing in everything in my room, switching over to i2S and now Roon (Jplay driver to make use of the Kernel Streaming driver from Pink Faun)... I will just echo what eltee00 said. I can just sit, listen, and enjoy. It's not saying much but I haven't mucked with anything in a few weeks now.

i'm glad you've come to your senses. With all the tweaking and geeking audiophiles are known for, I would find it very sad if, after all that, one could not find satisfaction and joy in simply sitting and listening to music.

I firmly believe there are at least two schools of thought, *especially* on this and other niche forums. On the one hand, musical appreciation is something I do hold quite near and dear, but it's honestly tough for me to talk in those circles because I'm not educated in music. It's almost a foreign language to me, to try and describe harmonics, colors and textures of sound, and to actually appreciate scales, song/music writing, and even to know whether I'm listening to something in C or D major unless it says so on the cover :) I hope that makes sense, but in some sense, I wonder if those people can understand what they hear at a deeper level than I can.

And so I fall back to my familiar, comfortable existence - that everything can be improved on. But with Aqua, a proper, quiet PC, and a diverse library, I'm definitely more into music exploration and enjoyment than I have been the last 6 months. BUT, this stage I'm in now is due to, I believe completely due to everything that preceded it. I've heard this system in this quiet room, in isolation, for 6 months, at least 3 hours a night, at least 6 days a week. And it is not difficult at all to know just how far it has come in that time. So I am proud of what I've accomplished and THAT makes this stage of listening and enjoying so very, very sweet :)

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

801/801s premium grade and much more expensive, but I don't know that they will sound much better. I was advised by one dealer that there wouldn't be a noticeable difference. The projected lifespan of the standard tube is around 10,000 hours. Not sure how much longer the premium grade would last.

If I may add from my experience. I used several different pairs of these Telefunkens in Manley integrated amp, and for me ECC801s are very clearly the best. The difference in sound in comparison to "regular" Telefunkens and other brands is easily discernible - the sound is cleaner, more detail, etc. Also, pair of 801s has been serving 10+ years almost non-stop.

If I may add from my experience. I used several different pairs of these Telefunkens in Manley integrated amp, and for me ECC801s are very clearly the best. The difference in sound in comparison to "regular" Telefunkens and other brands is easily discernible - the sound is cleaner, more detail, etc. Also, pair of 801s has been serving 10+ years almost non-stop.

I may have to give these a try. Prices aren't too bad, and it looks like they could outlive me.

The more I listen to the LaScala, the more I realize how different a player it is via the balanced outputs. More bloom, more energy, a little more tone. Guess that comes from using both sides of the tube, among other things.

I may have to give these a try. Prices aren't too bad, and it looks like they could outlive me.

The more I listen to the LaScala, the more I realize how different a player it is via the balanced outputs. More bloom, more energy, a little more tone. Guess that comes from using both sides of the tube, among other things.

I preferred ECC801s in my system over other brands I tried. Nevertheless, I would suggest you to try various choices. The preference is very system and taste dependent. Tube rolling is easy and is a fun by itself. I know some prefer new Russian tubes (my Manley was originally equipped with Russian tubes) but to my ears Russian stuff sounds plain, crude and artificial, NOS tubes outperform those tubes without doubt and in style. You may want to look in the net, there are dedicated web-communities and sites and plenty of choices. I purchased my Telefunkens and some other brands online.

Which tubes were originally supplied with Aqua?

I preferred ECC801s in my system over other brands I tried. Nevertheless, I would suggest you to try various choices. The preference is very system and taste dependent. Tube rolling is easy and is a fun by itself. I know some prefer new Russian tubes (my Manley was originally equipped with Russian tubes) but to my ears Russian stuff sounds plain, crude and artificial, NOS tubes outperform those tubes without doubt and in style. You may want to look in the net, there are dedicated web-communities and sites and plenty of choices. I purchased my Telefunkens and some other brands online.

Which tubes were originally supplied with Aqua?

Can't tell which tube it is, but it is certainly not NOS. It works quite well, but I have it on good advice that the telefunkens are a very good option.

I installed the XLR upgrade to my La Voce tonight and, I think it's mainly due to the fact that my output voltage is appreciably higher (doubling to, I think 4V?), I don't need nearly the volume on my preamp that I did before. This is both good and bad, but more of the former than the latter. I have a pretty quiet room/system but I can't detect any sort of noise, even with 15' of cable between the DAC and preamp. Not sure if it's a byproduct of said output voltage but midrange forwardness seems more pronounced now. Since my main listening preferences are rock and metal? This is a good thing. Guitars feel more visceral and forward, which I dig. The sound has an edge to it that I like. It's not harsh, but it is more forward than it was before. Hard to explain, but that's my best attempt :)

• 2 years later...

Hello Todd,

Awesome review. I’d like to ask because I’m currently struggling to make the I2s to work from my server. I’m currently using an Antipodes EX to the Aqua La Scala Optologic and I have tried connecting them with an RJ45 via “network 2” of the Antipodes and can’t seem to get it to work. Have you got any idea with this? Do I need to change any setting from roon besides the knob in the Aqua DAC? Thanks. ?

On 7/16/2018 at 12:43 AM, Bensan said:

Hello Todd,

Awesome review. I’d like to ask because I’m currently struggling to make the I2s to work from my server. I’m currently using an Antipodes EX to the Aqua La Scala Optologic and I have tried connecting them with an RJ45 via “network 2” of the Antipodes and can’t seem to get it to work. Have you got any idea with this? Do I need to change any setting from roon besides the knob in the Aqua DAC? Thanks. ?

You will need to make sure you are using the correct pinout. You can get a diagram from Aqua, and you might need to adjust a jumper inside the DAC also. That's how it was on my Aqua La Voce 2. Here is the pinout for that:

AQlink_LaVoce_EN_i2S PINOUT.pdf

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, biosailor said:

Has anyone heard anything about the upgrade for La Voce S2 to S3? Is it available? If so, are there any impressions?

From Darkos post: https://darko.audio/2018/03/aqua-hifi-announce-la-voce-s3-dac/

Factory-fitted upgrades to existing S2 units will be charged out at €1460.

Contact Aqua or your local distributor for details. Further information: 

https://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce_S3_update.html

I am seriously tempted to upgrade...

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

You will need to make sure you are using the correct pinout. You can get a diagram from Aqua, and you might need to adjust a jumper inside the DAC also. That's how it was on my Aqua La Voce 2. Here is the pinout for that:

AQlink_LaVoce_EN_i2S PINOUT.pdf

Hello Tapatrick, thank you for this advice unfortunately my source does not not output the same format as the I2s. What server/source/streamer are you using?

Anyway, I dont know if you guys have read this, but here is a review from 6moons regarding the La Voce S3.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/aqua4/1.html

I was after this DAC too but I had a good deal with the La Scala Optologic. What ethernet cable are you using? 

1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

From Darkos post: https://darko.audio/2018/03/aqua-hifi-announce-la-voce-s3-dac/

Factory-fitted upgrades to existing S2 units will be charged out at €1460.

Contact Aqua or your local distributor for details. Further information: 

https://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce_S3_update.html

I am seriously tempted to upgrade...

Here is a review from 6moons

9 hours ago, Bensan said:

Hello Tapatrick, thank you for this advice unfortunately my source does not not output the same format as the I2s. What server/source/streamer are you using?

Anyway, I dont know if you guys have read this, but here is a review from 6moons regarding the La Voce S3.

I was after this DAC too but I had a good deal with the La Scala Optologic. What ethernet cable are you using? 

Thanks Bensan. 

Does require a bit of DIY but it’s just a matter of connecting correct wires  to make it all work. Maybe you could get someone to make you a correctly wired cable? Or Aqua should be able to help. 

My La Voce is on the shelf but I still love that DAC. I currently use a PS Audio Junior DAC with I2S input fed by my own DIY custom streamer. 

With the La Voce I used a Luckitt usb to I2S converter - also a Luckitt Bluwave usb to spdif converter as I found the BNC spdif input excellent too. 

5 hours ago, tapatrick said:

Thanks Bensan. 

Does require a bit of DIY but it’s just a matter of connecting correct wires  to make it all work. Maybe you could get someone to make you a correctly wired cable? Or Aqua should be able to help. 

My La Voce is on the shelf but I still love that DAC. I currently use a PS Audio Junior DAC with I2S input fed by my own DIY custom streamer. 

With the La Voce I used a Luckitt usb to I2S converter - also a Luckitt Bluwave usb to spdif converter as I found the BNC spdif input excellent too. 

I thought one has to send the DAC back to the factory to have it upgraded. But I would not mind at all to DIY a bit as long as the instructions are clear.

BTW How does the PS Audio Junior compare to La Voce S2? I had this DAC on the radar for a long time, but somehow I lost interest in PS Audio.

If I change my DAC, it will be Benchmark's DAC3.

10 hours ago, biosailor said:

I thought one has to send the DAC back to the factory to have it upgraded. But I would not mind at all to DIY a bit as long as the instructions are clear.

BTW How does the PS Audio Junior compare to La Voce S2? I had this DAC on the radar for a long time, but somehow I lost interest in PS Audio.

If I change my DAC, it will be Benchmark's DAC3.

Yes you need to send your DAC back to Aqua to have it upgraded.

I was responding to Bensan who said "I’m currently struggling to make the I2s to work from my server. I’m currently using an Antipodes EX to the Aqua La Scala Optologic and I have tried connecting them with an RJ45 via “network 2” of the Antipodes". I am not sure the Network 2 is outputting I2S though.

If it is I suggest its a matter of connecting the right I2S lines out to the corresponding ones into the DAC. The Aqua I2S AQlink is meant to work between their CD transport and there DACs - not all RJ45 ethernet cables will be wired to work this way. A custom made cable following the Aqua pinout should solve this but possibly a jumper in the DAC might need setting too.

10 hours ago, biosailor said:

The PS Audio Junior is a major upgrade from the La Voce S2. I also use it as a preamp with Decware Mono block amps. I had an Auralic Vega before the La Voce which I did not like, whereas the La Voce was the first DAC I tried where I thought 'this is it! and I could relax into the music... The PS Junior has so many more dimensions but then its a lot more expensive.