IGNORED

Aqua DACs gaining steam - reviews and thoughts

I know there are a few other Aqua owners here - they have two DACs, La Voce S2 and the flagship La Scala (I think DAR did a review of La Scala). Some folks out on the great wide web are starting to get these in their audio rooms and are liking what they hear. They start at $2700 and the La Scala is around $5600, I think. This review indicates La Voce is punching a good bit above its weight class:

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/592-aqua-acoustic-quality-la-voce-s2-digital-to-analog-converter#most-read-equipment-reviews

And this review, I thought was interesting, it's actually a review of an Audio Show room and it got his vote as part of a system, paired with a Antipodes DS server, it was his favorite "value" system of the show:

Flatworld – der Außenblog von Clemens Wergin » Blog Archive Flatworld

I've used my La Voce S2 DAC three ways so far - USB no Regen, USB w/ Regen (ok I guess 4 ways, because I added an HDPlex to the mix about a week ago) and now through a Pink Faun I2S bridge with a "custom" RJ45 output, pinned for Aqua DACs. There was virtually no difference with or without Regen, and though Aqua's site doesn't state so, the first review I linked mentions that it has a galvanically isolated USB input. I know it uses an XMOS chip but otherwise, I'm not too sure on those specs. I do know Aqua is quite proud of it, however. Now, when I added the LPSU to Regen, that did bump up the experience for me. I just moved over to the I2S connection last night and it's masterful. Very accurate, very "fast" sounding if you believe in that type of terminology (maybe "sharp" is a better description?), and everything just seems to have come up a notch or two. It's a more engaging, more energetic sound, to my ears, than USB in any of the implementations I tried.

Anyway, point is, this is a DAC that is modular and, seemingly, scalable as you improve your frontend. I have to think this dude would absolutely SING being fronted by a Sonore Sig Rendu so long as the i2S output from SSR could be converted to RJ45 in some fashion.

I'd really love to pit Yggy against La Voce, would make for quite an interesting matchup but unfortunately I don't have the funds at the moment to demo Yggy. Maybe after the first of the year...

Hope this helps anyone considering a DAC in this range!

Todd

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

The reviews I've read about the La Scala MkII (it's in MkII now and it is said to be quite a bit better than MkI) have really made it sound like a DAC I should try. In an LVDS I2s proponent though, so that and the $5600 sticker have been holding me back. If I'm spending in that league I want something that meets all my needs.

Anyway, the fact that you've been able to get the Pink Faun I2s Bridge configured to the Aqua I2s pinout is very interesting. That does make it much more appealing since you're no longer tied to either USB->rj45-I2s converters nor are you tied to an Aqua CD transport. Very cool.

Then you mentioned it was modular, so that makes my gears start turning and wondering if the internal RJ45-I2s to HDMI-I2S input board used on the Audio-gd Master 7 could work here...?

The reviews I've read about the La Scala MkII (it's in MkII now and it is said to be quite a bit better than MkI) have really made it sound like a DAC I should try. In an LVDS I2s proponent though, so that and the $5600 sticker have been holding me back. If I'm spending in that league I want something that meets all my needs.

Anyway, the fact that you've been able to get the Pink Faun I2s Bridge configured to the Aqua I2s pinout is very interesting. That does make it much more appealing since you're no longer tied to either USB->rj45-I2s converters nor are you tied to an Aqua CD transport. Very cool.

Then you mentioned it was modular, so that makes my gears start turning and wondering if the internal RJ45-I2s to HDMI-I2S input board used on the Audio-gd Master 7 could work here...?

I've already put a bug in someone's ear about crafting an HDMI-I2S board as a replacement for the RJ45, though I think the back panel itself is cut for the RJ45 input and is not part of said modular board but I could be wrong. That could be a limitation. Aqua seems to be pretty receptive to new ideas, at least based on the feedback I've gotten from them, or at least the person I work with between me and Aqua. And I wouldn't ever pretend to be a digital guru like Jesus, 4est, Superdad and so forth, but I'm at least learning some things.

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Bonjour,

For the last 6 months I have been listening to my dematerialized music via an Aqua La Voce S2 and I am very satified with the naturalness of the sound. The La Voce replaces a Metrum Octave (first generation). An La Voce has an I2S connection to allow for the Aqua Diva CD transport to be connected in the best possible conditions.

The I2S connection is very interesting and I want to explore this more. My current set up is composed of a Pioneer N-50 Network audio player that feeds the La Voce via Coax SPDIF. Music Server is JRiver MC21 on a Lenovo Laptop and the music files are stored on a NAS drive on the Network.

Are there any Network Audio Players or Streamer that provide an I2S connection? Is the I2S connection an industry standard or not?

Carcajou

Bonjour,

For the last 6 months I have been listening to my dematerialized music via an Aqua La Voce S2 and I am very satified with the naturalness of the sound. The La Voce replaces a Metrum Octave (first generation). An La Voce has an I2S connection to allow for the Aqua Diva CD transport to be connected in the best possible conditions.

The I2S connection is very interesting and I want to explore this more. My current set up is composed of a Pioneer N-50 Network audio player that feeds the La Voce via Coax SPDIF. Music Server is JRiver MC21 on a Lenovo Laptop and the music files are stored on a NAS drive on the Network.

Are there any Network Audio Players or Streamer that provide an I2S connection? Is the I2S connection an industry standard or not?

Carcajou

Hello! The only streamer that I am aware of which features i2S out is the Sonore Signature Rendu. To answer your 2nd question, no, an i2S connection standard does not exist - you'll find all sorts of implementations here. Aqua's implementation is native i2S via RJ45 connection. The Sonore SSR mentioned above accepts i2S in via HDMI, therefore the two are not natively compatible. I briefly went down a road to see if I could connect an SSR to my Aqua DAC and ended up passing in favor of using an I2S bridge from my PC, the bridge was custom made to have a matching RJ45 output to my DAC.

A converter could certainly be made to convert the HDMI i2S out from the SSR to the RJ45 in on the Aqua, but that is far beyond my technical level and so I won't even speculate as to what would be involved there.

I have had the Scala mkii for about five months. I love it. I am hearing more in the music that I have been listening to for 45 years.

Aqua now has a distributor in the U.S. I purchased mine directly from the manufacturer in April. There is a five year warranty and any upgrades during the five years are included. They told me when I purchased it that the i2S interface could be adapted for the Sonore Signature Rendu. However, Sonore is coming out with a new product called the Urendu that will be considered a "Roon remote" device. This will have an Ethernet and USB ports and the Roon software in it. There is a thread on this forum about it. I have switched to Roon after years of frustration with JRiver and it is sensational. So I may be purchasing the Urendu.

From what I understand from reading posts on the thread, it may be possible to adapt the Sonore Signature Rendu to be a "Roon remote" but it would be difficult and there are no plans to do so at this time.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I just saw someone in Spain is selling a Aqua La Scala mk ii on Audiogon $3,400 with 220 volts. You may be able to buy it for less. Ten years ago I had a Reimyo DAC. I bought a converter/transformer for about $30, sounded great.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

I have a Aqua La Scala mk II as well. Easily my favorite DAC in my possession.It just seems to present the music in a way I thoroughly enjoy. You can tube roll in it but I have not heard great difference in what I used. I highly recommend this DAC for at least a listen. It bettered my yggy and I like it slightly better than my DA-06.

I have a Aqua La Scala mk II as well. Easily my favorite DAC in my possession.It just seems to present the music in a way I thoroughly enjoy. You can tube roll in it but I have not heard great difference in what I used. I highly recommend this DAC for at least a listen. It bettered my yggy and I like it slightly better than my DA-06.

I assume you have read the review at 6 Moons Audio. Tube rolling was tried during the review and the original tubes sounded best. I believe the tubes will last for about 10,000 hours. I almost bought a DA-06 a few years ago, glad I did not.

These people know what they are doing and they are honest. They lowered the price by $700 because the Euro had declined so much back in April. Totally unexpected but very much appreciated.

I assume you have read the review at 6 Moons Audio. Tube rolling was tried during the review and the original tubes sounded best. I believe the tubes will last for about 10,000 hours. I almost bought a DA-06 a few years ago, glad I did not.

These people know what they are doing and they are honest. They lowered the price by $700 because the Euro had declined so much back in April. Totally unexpected but very much appreciated.

Actually, I think that NOS Telefunkens will give the best result.

Kimo, have you tried these in the La Scala?

Kimo, have you tried these in the La Scala?

I have, but only in balanced mode. I think that they are sort of the unofficial/official upgrade. They intensify everything, but don't really change the overall character one hears with the stock tubes. You could also run a Telefunken 12au7. I have tried those, and recommend them too. You will lose some gain with the 12au7, of course.

Wellpleasedav is the US distributor for Aqua. You may wish to check with Mark regarding tube rolling, upgrades, etc.

What are the stock tubes on the La Scala? I picked up the one that was on sale on Audiogon. Can't wait til it arrives. I had home demo a Gen 4 big 7 last week and while it sounded very good I wasn't overly impressed with the built, clunky remote, and the overall operation of the unit. Plus it was HUGE.

What are the stock tubes on the La Scala? I picked up the one that was on sale on Audiogon. Can't wait til it arrives. I had home demo a Gen 4 big 7 last week and while it sounded very good I wasn't overly impressed with the built, clunky remote, and the overall operation of the unit. Plus it was HUGE.

You bought the one from Spain? You got a very good deal at that price.

I think the Gen 4 has had a lot of reliability issues.

This review has all the info you need about the tubes.

6moons audioreviews: Aqua Hifi La Scala MkII

Hello Kimo, can you provide the exact model of the Telefunken that you are referring to.

I see there is a 12AT7 and also an ECC801 and ECC 801S.

I have several tubes in my pre-amp so I am wondering how much of a difference it would make. Worth trying.

Hello Kimo, can you provide the exact model of the Telefunken that you are referring to.

I see there is a 12AT7 and also an ECC801 and ECC 801S.

I have several tubes in my pre-amp so I am wondering how much of a difference it would make. Worth trying.

801/801s premium grade and much more expensive, but I don't know that they will sound much better. I was advised by one dealer that there wouldn't be a noticeable difference. The projected lifespan of the standard tube is around 10,000 hours. Not sure how much longer the premium grade would last.

The Aqua just came in today. Can't wait to go home and try it out. Will post some initial comments.

Great news...have fun and let us know the outcome.

Not sure if it's the case with the aqua, but it's important to give it a good run a let it on to achieve thermal stability.

Bonjour

I leave my Aqua La Voce powered on all the time but it does not run with tubes...I can understand the concern of leaving La Scala, that runs with tubes, on all the time.

I had noticed a big sound improvement with my previous dac (Metrum Octave first genration) when it was left powered on...all the time.

Carcajou

Finally had some time tonight to listen to the La Scala. Initial thought is that it is very natural sounding, to the point that I found myself not listening analytically at all, which I normally would be when listening to gears for the first time. I just sat through an hour and just enjoyed the music. It was quite a strange feeling. All the criterias I normally would use to judge hifi gears simply wasn't on my mind. I just kept thinking that everything sounded right and I just wanted to listen to music.

Will give a more detailed write-up once I put more hours behind it.