IGNORED

J River to HQPlayer

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

Short of that (I'm on Eastern time and it's getting late, since no response in 45 min):

1)  don;t worry about the shorter argument string.  You can't use it anyway, cuz it won't address your non-HQP files (like M4A stuff)

2)  The HQPlayer fields need to be created by you, as do the others, through the "manage library fields" screen (add new field).

3)  The fields need to be typed exactly as Geoff has them in the argument string, so Repeat ALL (not Repeat All).

The correct argument for the repeat feature is "Repeat All" NOT "Repeat ALL".

I am testing today to ensure you don't need to create the custom library fields if you don't wish to take advantage of the optional features:

Those optional features are:

1/ Change any of HQPlayer's settings

2/ Play all tracks from a particular artist

3/ Play a playlist (after first exporting it to the scripts folder in .m3u8) format.

4/ Place HQPlayer in repeat mode for the Album, Artist or Playlist you wish to play.

If you don't wish to make use of any of those optional features you can still use this JRMC front end to HQPlayer. I will make sure in that case, that none of the custom fields need to be created.

Please always use the full argument string:

"Replace([Filename], &, ^&),[Disc #],[Track #],[HQPlayer Filter],[HQPlayer Shaper],[HQPlayer SR],[HQPlayer Type],[HQPlayer Temp Type],[HQPlayer Temp],[Load Playlist],[Playlist Shuffle],[Artist Play All],[Repeat All]"

Thank you,

Best,

Geoff

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Thank you both!!

The only difference I can see between your .pdf screenshot and mine of the Manage Library fields is that you have an additional "show additional checkbox". Otherwise my settings look the same to me, including Repeat All and same full argument string (as per attachments).

I cannot complete the Optional settings for the issue I mentioned in my previous message where I say JRiver does not update my library (dsf and flac files only) when I give the instruction "No" to the Repeat All tag.

@ted_b Sorry I missed the opportunity last night. I'm Central Time and today I am actually home for most of the time. I will PM my phone # in case you have same to waste with me :) . The only file type I am willing to send to HQPlayer are DSF and FLAC and I activated both in JRiver.

I am so sorry about misleading you on ALL (which, of course should be All).  Not sure what I was smoking.  Thanks Geoff for the firm slap; I'm good now.  :)  And I guess I need log training, cuz I read your log as using M4A.  Other than that.......  :(  

Rikirk, I will call you later. 

21 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I am so sorry about misleading you on ALL (which, of course should be All).  Not sure what I was smoking.  Thanks Geoff for the firm slap; I'm good now.  :)  And I guess I need log training, cuz I read your log as using M4A.  Other than that.......  :(  

Rikirk, I will call you later. 

No problem …and whatever it was could you share some :)

There'll be a new version later today, and I promise I've tested this and it works without the need to create any custom library fields, if you don't need the features they're needed to support.

I used a test library without any of those fields present and the new version works just fine.

I've added some new features too, which I think you'll appreciate. More anon …

Geoff

Geoff,

1.05 needs a correction (which I made for mine).  HQPlayer-control.exe is referenced to the wrong directory in the cmd file.  It should go to Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3, not C:\HQPlayer

Thank goodness for the log file.  :)

So, as long as one is in the cmd file to put in their .ps1 location simply replace the line

set hqpath=C:\HQPlayer\hqp-control.exe

with

set hqpath=C:\Program Files\Signalyst\HQPlayer Desktop 3\hqp-control.exe

BTW, the downside with the new "tap" idea is that those who are using an NAA like the microRendu (Linux) experience a horrible pop when a DSD track is started from scratch (supposedly fixed in beta firmware...I wouldn't know.... :) ).  There is no issue when playing DSD albums or playlists and another song is chosen (in any DSD rate, btw) just when HQPlayer stops and then starts into any DSD track.  Well, this is forced with your "tap" feature, as moving to another song within an album or playlist (previously unharmed) causes HQPlayer to stop and start.  FYI. 

Thanks for pointing out that the path to hqp-control.exe is the "wrong directory". I attach a replacement file which users should use to replace the cmd file in the distribution.

To be absolutely clear about this though, there is really no right or wrong about where HQPlayer and all its files should be installed. The default location is the best starting place, I agree. The location shown in the file I included in 1.05 is the location we use on the SGM. We did this because we actually found it beneficial for sound quality to keep the path to HQPlayer as short as possible.

Finally to solve the "horrible pop" issue you have with your NAA, you can always go into the ps1 script and simply remove or comment out lines 130 - 177. (To comment out, place a hash (#) sign at the beginning of each of these lines).

This will obviously remove the ability to stop playback.

Best,

Geoff

call-jr-ps.cmd

Geoff,

Don;t get me wrong, if HQplayer sounds better there, then fine, but that is not the default location for HQplayer's install, nor what the pdf manual states.  That's all.  Do what you want.

I was trying to do a community service, as I personally don't have the issues with the "pop", mainly cuz my two NAAs (Windows NAA and microRendu) have software to alleviate it or it doesn't exist in the first place.  But other than me the "pop" is real with production microRendu as NAA.

So, move the whole Signalyst folder from Program files to the root drive?  Are there no registries, etc that will look for it in the other place?

2 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Geoff,

Don;t get me wrong, if HQplayer sounds better there, then fine, but that is not the default location for HQplayer's install, nor what the pdf manual states.  That's all.  Do what you want.

I was trying to do a community service, as I personally don't have the issues with the "pop", mainly cuz my two NAAs (Windows NAA and microRendu) have software to alleviate it or it doesn't exist in the first place.  But other than me the "pop" is real with production microRendu as NAA.

So, move the whole Signalyst folder from Program files to the root drive?  Are there no registries, etc that will look for it in the other place?

I'm not disagreeing with you Ted. I completely agree that the manual gives the default location and that's what the example file should show. That's why I posted a replacement file.

I just didn't want anybody to get the impression that they're obliged to install HQPlayer in its default location, and that it actually might be advantageous installing it at a higher level. That's my community service :)

Also agree you're right to point out that the pop can occur in that particular situation when the Stop command is issued. Users should minimize volume when using it for the first time to ascertain if they have that problem as, no doubt, it can probably occur in a number of hardware related scenarios.

Back to the location of HQPlayer, that's right, we install it on the SGM at C:\HQPlayer as per the original file. There are absolutely no issues with doing that regarding registries; etc. In fact the HQPlayer installer allows you to overwrite the default location at the time of install.

You both made my day!!! After some troubleshooting and the last .cmd it's working flawless in the standard version on both my systems! Will work later to extend capability with JRemote.

I'm such a happy camper!!!

Shame on JRiver for not supporting their customers (I had to say that because there are many people like me that love Jriver for many reasons and they should have them use any front end we want without infringing any IP, instead of turning their head the over way, this is not about JPlay debate bs!!!)

Again my deepest thank you and Happy Easter!

Geoff, I do envy your view of Cap-Ferrat, I miss your neighborhoods, whenever I am around I will make sure to bring that bottle :) 

14 hours ago, rikirk said:

You both made my day!!! After some troubleshooting and the last .cmd it's working flawless in the standard version on both my systems! Will work later to extend capability with JRemote.

I'm such a happy camper!!!

Shame on JRiver for not supporting their customers (I had to say that because there are many people like me that love Jriver for many reasons and they should have them use any front end we want without infringing any IP, instead of turning their head the over way, this is not about JPlay debate bs!!!)

Again my deepest thank you and Happy Easter!

Geoff, I do envy your view of Cap-Ferrat, I miss your neighborhoods, whenever I am around I will make sure to bring that bottle :) 

I'm so glad it's working out for you, now. Once again, Happy Easter to you and I'm looking forward to your visit with that bottle :)

• 3 months later...

Geoffrey: Great work. Best of both worlds really.

One question though; I have to tap twice for a track to change, is it normal? Say I am playing one album from my JRemote, to change to another track when I tap, cmd.exe window opens, but track does not change. I tap again and new track start to play. Same thing while changing albums.

Let me know. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, sig8 said:

One question though; I have to tap twice for a track to change, is it normal?

Yes, check Geoff's notes in his April 14 post.  Cut-n-pasted here:

The main change in this version is the addition of playback control as follows:

1/ Tapping in J Remote on the currently playing track causes playback to pause.

2/ A subsequent tap on that same track causes play to resume where it left off.

3/ A tap on any other track within the same Album, Artist or Playlist will cause playback to Stop.

4/ A subsequent tap on any track within the same Album, Artist or Playlist will cause playback to start again from the beginning of that track.

4/ A tap on a track from a different Album, Artist or Playlist will immediately instigate playback from that track as before.

• 4 weeks later...

A newbie question, so apologies if it's a distraction. What's the benefit of paying music on Jriver to hqp?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

This script allows one to use JRIver and its library management (which is loads better than HQPs and in some cases better than Roons) and allows one to use the very nice JRemote ipad/iphone/remote app to find one's music and play it through HQPlayer.  Roon is a better handoff (to HQP) than this DIY script, but Roon is a lot of money, has not implemented folder-based views, and can be slighlty more cumbersome when you want to get to music quickly.  Many of us like JRemote as well or better.

3 hours ago, ted_b said:

This script allows one to use JRIver and its library management (which is loads better than HQPs and in some cases better than Roons) and allows one to use the very nice JRemote ipad/iphone/remote app to find one's music and play it through HQPlayer.  Roon is a better handoff (to HQP) than this DIY script, but Roon is a lot of money, has not implemented folder-based views, and can be slighlty more cumbersome when you want to get to music quickly.  Many of us like JRemote as well or better.

Thanks ted_b. Is the sq better with hqp better then Jriver?

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

3 hours ago, debt_collector said:

Thanks ted_b. Is the sq better with hqp better then Jriver?

If no DSP/tricks/upsampling is used with EITHER player, the SQ is very much the same, this is how I use HQPlayer and Jriver. Given the clunky on screen interface with HQPlayer, Jriver is easier on the eyes and the multiple zone, library management is very good indeed. 

HQPlayers extensive list of settings is far too overwhelming for the novice, it took a dumb-ass like me months to find the right combo, and soon as I played a different style, say acoustic to jazz, the character instantly changed. Just gave up on HQPlayer, too hard.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 months later...