IGNORED

Sound Galleries Music Server

Better to take up leave. Less risk of getting fired that way when caught.

I was joking ;-)

the only time I considered calling in sick was on behalf of my kids so I could take them skiing. In the end I called the school principal, and told him what I was planning to do and said I would understand whatever consequences would follow. My gross infraction was subsequently swept under the carpet :-)

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update about the SGM 2015

The case parts which we have had CNC machined have been done and sent to the aluminum finishing shops for brushing and anodizing. We are delighted with the quality. The first batch of production spec servers is now being assembled.

On the software side it's been pretty intense, but very rewarding. We have been hard at work tuning the OS to get the best sound from Roon to HQ Player. When we were running HQ Player alone, or being fed from iTunes and Kodi, it was not difficult to get superb sound. However Roon is a different ballgame, with a lot of things going on in the background, including active database functions. It's taken us hours and hours to get the sound quality of Roon to HQ Player into "knock your socks off" sound quality levels.

We also had a hardware detour last week, experimenting with a octocore Haswell CPU and mobo to see if Roon to HQ Player would sound better with 8 physical Haswell cores instead of 4 Skylake cores hyperthreaded

Well the clear sound quality winner was the Skylake. It was a very comforting confirmation that we made the right CPU platform choice back in November.

The deadline we are racing towards is the event at BMW World on May 6th. We are going to have to impress people including, Jussi Laako, Lawrence Dickie, Gary Koh from industry, and Michael Lavorgna and the cohort of journalists, many of who are vinyl lovers.

We are getting great support from Jared Sacks and NativeDSD for the event. The sound of DSDxxx upsampled to DSD512 is sighs and goose bumps

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25801[/ATTACH]

click to enlarge

WOW!!

Very nice Ed. I like it a lot. Elegant, in an understated way.

Yes, good, ah, I mean break a leg at the show in Munich. Knock them dead.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Geoffrey and Edward ... You can both be proud of the sound. As I said yesterday a lot of systems on 1. And 2. Floor was not as good as this, and then we can take the price into account and your system is a bargain even if the server price said "ouch". But it is your take on compromise free server. So I think it is fair.

Geoffrey and Edward ... You can both be proud of the sound. As I said yesterday a lot of systems on 1. And 2. Floor was not as good as this, and then we can take the price into account and your system is a bargain even if the server price said "ouch". But it is your take on compromise free server. So I think it is fair.

Thanks for your positive feedback. I promise we will always strive to be fair on the pricing.

Geoffrey

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Thanks for your positive feedback. I promise we will always strive to be fair on the pricing.

Geoffrey

I know that Geoffrey .. The system choice for the DSD demo tells that the choices are made on quality rather than profit

You know Geoffrey I am a pure analog man and I still believe linear amplifiers outperforms class D in transparency when done right.

But the system that you have on display had a good balance. And as said the complete system performed very well. So the choice you and Edward had made was very good.

And if an linear amp should be better it will also be more expensive than the Taiko...

So congrats from me

...fair on the pricing? 16000 € for an Music Server with a 330 € cpu is an no go criteria for me. I don't think the evaluation costs are so high that the price of 16000 € is ok. I don't think that the price difference between a self build music server and the SGM is equal to the better sound you get.

Best regards

wolft

You know Geoffrey I am a pure analog man and I still believe linear amplifiers outperforms class D in transparency when done right.

It sounds (if I am not wrong) that you are saying that class D is not analog. If that is so I must point out to you that class D is analog. I am not saying you are wrong in what you like, just that it has nothing to do with whether class D is not analog.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

...fair on the pricing? 16000 € for an Music Server with a 330 € cpu is an no go criteria for me. I don't think the evaluation costs are so high that the price of 16000 € is ok. I don't think that the price difference between a self build music server and the SGM is equal to the better sound you get.

Best regards

wolft

May I ask if you have heard the SGMS or are you just assuming what you said.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

It sounds (if I am not wrong) that you are saying that class D is not analog. If that is so I must point out to you that class D is analog. I am not saying you are wrong in what you like, just that it has nothing to do with whether class D is not analog.

Class D output stage has only two states high and low or "1" and "0"

This is digital . The following LC lowpass filter filters it and the average value is analog just like in a DSD DAC.