IGNORED

Sound Galleries Music Server

8 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Since I am the owner of Sound Galleries, I can also answer this.

Yes indeed there is an upgrade plan to SGM-2. It will involve shipping your SGM-1 back to base.

Price to be determined.

Geoff Armstrong

Any news yet on the features of the SGM-2?

Interested in learning more. 

Especially if the new edition upsamples to Multichannel DSD 256 as well as Stereo DSD 256 with HQ Player.

11 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Yes indeed there is an upgrade plan to SGM-2.

Hi Geoff, this is the first time I've even heard of SGM-2.  Are you introducing it at Munich High End?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

15 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

Unfortunately no, since we’re not quite ready yet. That’s also the reason why we can’t yet release any technical details or pricing.

We’re still finalizing the design, although we are pretty close.

Expect another 1 - 2 Months.

Best,

Geoff

Got it.  Thanks for the update.

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

Got it.  Thanks for the update.

And that is why I asked out I the open first ?

I was hoping to get lucky, even if it was just a lead on where things are moving. Great news, eh? 

@Geoffrey Armstrong

That's great news! Congratulations on your pursuit of better sound. I'm really looking forward to hearing what the upgrades and differences are vs. the SGM-1. 

When you're ready, please post a link or some info here so that we can be notified.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

As per my web-site, we are already upgrading existing customer's servers. New complete SGM-2's builds will begin production next month.

http://soundgalleries.com/product/sgm-evo/

Geoff

Interesting news. 

Is the price of the Evo the same as the original SGM 2015?

Will it be capable of Multichannel DSD playback?  Or is it limited to Stereo DSD playback like the original SGM 2015 model? 

1 hour ago, bmoura said:

Interesting news. 

Is the price of the Evo the same as the original SGM 2015?

Will it be capable of Multichannel DSD playback?  Or is it limited to Stereo DSD playback like the original SGM 2015 model? 

In euros excluding VAT we’re looking at €14,500. So about the same as before.

I believe the SGM 2015 could always do multi-channel. It was just a question of how far you wanted to push it. With HQPlayer up-sampling to DSD256 probably not. It also depends on the filter, of course.

We’ll try to carry out some multi-channel tests. Just FYI the new SGM can handle poly-sinc-xtr non -2s filter up to DSD256 up-sampling PCM, whereas the original maxed out at DSD128 with those filters.

… and remember it’s still passively cooled ?

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

4 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

In euros excluding VAT we’re looking at €14,500. So about the same as before.

I believe the SGM 2015 could always do multi-channel. It was just a question of how far you wanted to push it. With HQPlayer up-sampling to DSD256 probably not. It also depends on the filter, of course.

We’ll try to carry out some multi-channel tests. Just FYI the new SGM can handle poly-sinc-xtr non -2s filter up to DSD256 up-sampling PCM, whereas the original maxed out at DSD128 with those filters.

… and remember it’s still passively cooled ?

Are you using the new 16M upsampling option in HQ Player? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 8:09 PM, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

As per my web-site, we are already upgrading existing customer's servers. New complete SGM-2's builds will begin production next month.

http://soundgalleries.com/product/sgm-evo/

Geoff

Thanks a lot, Geoff, this is really good news. I'll follow up on the link later this week. 

On 9/8/2018 at 1:27 AM, bmoura said:

Are you using the new 16M upsampling option in HQ Player? 

I've read this a couple times now, but don't follow exactly. What is the 16M option? My music server is out for repair right now, so I'm not able to root in around HQPlayer to check. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ben-M said:

I've read this a couple times now, but don't follow exactly. What is the 16M option? My music server is out for repair right now, so I'm not able to root in around HQPlayer to check. Thanks. 

Since the release of HQPlayer 3.23.0 there are new "mega" variants of closed-form filter with one million taps for PCM and 16 million taps for SDM, these filters work great on GPUs too.

On 9/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, bibo01 said:

Since the release of HQPlayer 3.23.0 there are new "mega" variants of closed-form filter with one million taps for PCM and 16 million taps for SDM, these filters work great on GPUs too.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't really been impressed with how CUDA advances the CPU's capabilities with HQPlayer vs. just a more capable CPU. But maybe that's improved now?

Thanks for the info and hopefully the advances with HQPlayer will help improve the SGM Evo as well.