IGNORED

Design a PC/Server for ROON and HQ Player

sgr

2 hours ago, shadowlight said:

If you are comfortable with DIY you can do that using Beaglebone Black v.C, Twistedpair Hermes, Cronus with clocks.  Pull the I2S stream straight into DAC.

Is that "version C" ?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

38 minutes ago, 4est said:

Is that "version C" ?

Yes, I have been reading up on diyaudio about it.  I am going to attempt to do that with DSC 2.5.2 group buy.  It's worth trying.  Here are some links which I am still reading through but couple of folks on DSC threads have posted that they have successfully implemented the solution using the Botic driver.

Botic Information

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Support for Botic Linux Driver

Cronus - Clock Module

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, I just finished testing new'ish Up Squared hardware with my bootable HQPlayer Embedded image. This fanless device works (for me) up to DSD256 upsampling using -2s filters. poly-sinc-xtr-2s with ASDM7 to DSD256 gives CPU load of 52% (this is probably quite on the edge though). PCM upsampling to 705.6/768k is safe and sound with filters like poly-sinc-xtr (20% CPU load) and closed-form-M (10% CPU load).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

How important is memory speed when converting PCM to DSD ?

It is quite important, especially with bigger filters, so one with high clock speed and low CL is best. Also remember to check that you populate all memory channels of the CPU (2 on LGA1151 and 4 on LGA2011/LGA2066).

Even more important is amount of cache in the CPU.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new member to CA, but have been a longtime user of HQPlayer.

I just wanted to let everyone know that a recent graphics card upgrade to a RTX 2080 has now allowed me (with my modest i7-6700k CPU) to use the full poly-sinc-xtr filter and upsample to DSD512 smoothly. This includes 44/16 files.

CPU load is around 65% (Roon + HQPlayer).

GPU load is around 75%.

The computer is running Windows 10, and the latest NVIDIA drivers are installed. HQPlayer is version 3.25.

I was previously using a GTX 1080 graphics card, and running HQPlayer like this was not even close to possible.

5 hours ago, semeniub said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that a recent graphics card upgrade to a RTX 2080 has now allowed me (with my modest i7-6700k CPU) to use the full poly-sinc-xtr filter and upsample to DSD512 smoothly. This includes 44/16 files.

GPU load is around 75%.

The computer is running Windows 10, and the latest NVIDIA drivers are installed. HQPlayer is version 3.25.

I was previously using a GTX 1080 graphics card, and running HQPlayer like this was not even close to possible.

Thanks for that invaluable info. I have the same setup as you with the GTX 1080 and was wondering if one of the newer graphic cards would enable me to go to DSD 512 with the xtr filter. Now I know!

4 hours ago, craighartley said:

Thanks for that invaluable info. I have the same setup as you with the GTX 1080 and was wondering if one of the newer graphic cards would enable me to go to DSD 512 with the xtr filter. Now I know!

Miska,

Can HQPlayer make use of more than one graphics card in the system?

Craig

13 hours ago, semeniub said:

GPU load is around 75%.

Could you please try if you can upsample a DSD64 to DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr filter?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, craighartley said:

Can HQPlayer make use of more than one graphics card in the system?

Yes and no; there's no specific support for multiple cards, but if CUDA framework happens to give different GPU for different processing instances in HQPlayer, it should work. This is not clear from Nvidia's documentation and I have not tested it myself. In addition there are multiple aspects of multi-GPU. There can be cards that have more than one GPU on same board, there can be multiple independent cards, and there can be multiple cards connected to each other using SLI. And now with RTX series there's SLI replaced with NVLink...

I could implement specific support for multiple GPUs, instead of asking CUDA to give me a GPU... But that is for future.

4 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

Could you please try if you can upsample a DSD64 to DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr filter?

DSD-to-DSD upsampling is always done using special algorithm and the filter selection doesn't have effect on that...

I also have RTX 2080 on order, but I have not received it yet...

My Pinkfaun 2.16 streamer has an AMD Ryzen 7 1700X CPU processor and no videocard.

OS is Audiolinux.

I can upsample DSD64 to DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr filter.

I can upsample redbook to DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr-2s filter, without any issue.

redbook to DSD256 with poly-sinc-xtr with a sporadic hickup, probably need to increase the buffer time to 100ms or so, now playing with 0ms)

Dirk

42 minutes ago, craighartley said:

Could you say which brand GTX 2080 you have please?

And is it the 2080 or 2080 Ti?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz