i have engaged in a rip journey to transform the cd piles in wav files on a synology media server DSP214play

now, the whole ripping and tagging process it is not exactly a breeze, it looks more more like a trial & error process or a steeplechase race...

whilst consulting the fifth edition (2015) of robert harley's audio guide i read with amazement on p 220

'the downside of wav is that they have no provision for embedded metadata ... you could create a large music library as wav files on an nas drive ... only to discover that the metadata disappears when your drive is connected to another server... you can move your wav files to another server but the metadata will be unreadable by the new server...'

is this true?

am presently set on XLD (for ripping) and kid3 (for further tag editing) both on macbook

also downloaded wav audio files from qobuz - including what appears to me as embedded metadata (??)

is there somebody who can comment and expand on the statements of robert harley and explain what are in practical terms the limitations, constraints and risks of tagging wav files?

is there somebody who can comment and expand on the statements of robert harley and explain what are in practical terms the limitations, constraints and risks of tagging wav files?

XLD and some other software does embed metadata in WAV files. Not all players will read that metadata, though. iTunes is one that doesn't. Ignore RH and instead use Google for info regarding WAV metadata.