IGNORED

Is there a software tool to help me select presided position for each speaker.

trcns

I read several blag's and watched several you tube videos, in which the professionals show you that how much sound quality can be improved by moving the speaker even a half inch. I am struggling to find a perfect placing for my speakers and my subwoofer. Is there a software tool I could use to find the best position for each speaker and sub for the deepest base?

Another problem: my system sounds pretty clean, with Micentosh mx121, w&b 802d speakers, krell s1500 amp and tar lab cables. Connected to a PC via bell canto ulink. Using jriver with .flac bit perfect music. But there is no satisfaction I have. Now I am looking to buy Aesthetix Pandora Eclipse, but sure will it make a such big difference it sound quality or am I just burning the money for no reason.

Please guide if any body has experience.

Rafi

On placement... they are right... speaker placement does have a big affect and yes only moving an inch can matter.

One way would be to get a measurement mic and place it at your primary listening position, run pink noise through the speakers and use a spectrum analyser to view the room curve, then you can move the speakers and watch the curve change in real-time. The other way would be to move the listening position (mic)... I suspect many on here will agree that only having both the speakers and listening position in their best place will get you optimal results

I might try putting the speakers and sub roughly where you ideally want them and then wander with the mic to find the best listening position, then tweak speaker positions to refine the sound... but I'm not an expert in this.

I use TrueRTA software (the full licensed version) but I think there is a free app you can download, it might be this one: REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

PS: a single sub rarely works well for music, better to get another and have correct stereo bass separation (even with steep low pass filter, with one, I could always hear where the bass was coming from, now it's just integrated into the L/R speakers)

I read several blag's and watched several you tube videos, in which the professionals show you that how much sound quality can be improved by moving the speaker even a half inch. I am struggling to find a perfect placing for my speakers and my subwoofer. Is there a software tool I could use to find the best position for each speaker and sub for the deepest base?

Another problem: my system sounds pretty clean, with Micentosh mx121, w&b 802d speakers, krell s1500 amp and tar lab cables. Connected to a PC via bell canto ulink. Using jriver with .flac bit perfect music. But there is no satisfaction I have. Now I am looking to buy Aesthetix Pandora Eclipse, but sure will it make a such big difference it sound quality or am I just burning the money for no reason.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

I have a second sub but its turned off because I am afraid I will cause more harm than good, since I have no way of knowing the optimal position so it might cancel the base.

Processor has a built in odyssey equalizer but it does tells me where to move the speakers. I will look into the software. Thanks

Rafi

I have a second sub but its turned off because I am afraid I will cause more harm than good, since I have no way of knowing the optimal position so it might cancel the base.

Afraid?!?!?!

You've bought the thing, so switch it on and try some positions! If you don't like it, switch it off again. What's to be afraid of?

Even if you don't find the optimal position, you might easily find some position that's better than none.

Not to worry...

Whatever you do will be a compromise between where you can put them, want to put them and where they and the listening position sounds best.

Spend half a day experimenting and you'll no doubt find a good compromise. I would firstly put both subs in and put everything where it looks best in the room and then walk with the mic with pink noise on... you never know, you might get lucky (a nice room curve) and not have to tinker much.

Processor has a built in odyssey equalizer but it does tells me where to move the speakers. I will look into the software. Thanks

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

R_W I watched several videos on REW at YouTube but non of them are simple in layman's terms. I understand till running the signal trough speakers but than what to do is byond my understanding. Is there a simple video you can refer to? Which guides me through the steps?

Rafi

I think there are apps that can simulate “optimal” speaker placement if you specify room dimensions. Any know more?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

R_W I watched several videos on REW at YouTube but non of them are simple in layman's terms. I understand till running the signal trough speakers but than what to do is byond my understanding. Is there a simple video you can refer to? Which guides me through the steps?

The manual has all the info needed.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I would do some searching on youtube, there might be an example on there.

Firstly, don't be anxious, this is a hobby so enjoy it... Put everything where you want it and listen to it first, you might like the way it sounds straight off the bat.

There is no damage you can do, so set it all up (both subs), play some music and then see if any frequencies sound out of balance. You can use the software and measurement mic to optimise positioning later, when you've found a better tutorial.

I have the software on a laptop with the mic plugged into an audio interface, I play test tones and pink noice through the speakers and take measurements. A decent quality pink noise wav should be enough to show you if you have hot spots and nulls.

This is how my system is setup: sys

... it isn't perfect, but good enough.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Try this online tool: hunecke.de | Loudspeakers Calculator

Use approximate values for your room and speaker configuration.

The tool does give you a very good map of your room acoustics.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

That tool looks great, good post!

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

You don't describe what is unsatisfactory with the current setup. Is it imaging? Soundstage depth and width? Frequency distribution? Bloated or weak bass? Timbral accuracy? If you could try to better indicate what you don't like in the sound you are getting, you may get more specific advice.

it may be that your current positioning is correct and you need to think about room treatment. It may be that you need to change the parameters of subwoofer integration. Hard to tell from the information provided.

FWIW, in my experience, calculators and formulae are useful approximations only, anyway. There is no substitute for patient trial and error while listening to a wide variety of music.

Best luck!

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Cool! According to the model presented, my two chairs are exactly in the two very best positions in my room :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

That tool looks great, good post!

Cool! According to the model presented, my two chairs are exactly in the two very best positions in my room :)

On the bottom left where you see the speakers positioned in the room layout - click on the speakers to get exact coordinates. You can also move them and also your listening position by clicking and moving the cross hatch. Very useful to evaluate different positions.

For example changing the height of the listening position gives you the corresponding change in room acoustics.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I had a look at this in more detail... it's excellent.. but I think it might be a little optimistic / forgiving, as the vast majority of my room is green. I know that I have a few peaks and troughs but they appear to be within 'green' tolerance.

Regardless it's a great tool for the OP to get started.

... also I've now looked at REW in detail, which is an excellent tool too, offering pretty much the full suite of apps needed to perfect a room.

Note that they are both limited to square / rectangle rooms... anyone know of an app for 'L' shape?

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Yep, did all that with reasonably accurate placements... very good, but do you get mainly green and only a few red squares? Seems a bit forgiving...

REW does it too but without the room colour overlay (it shows the response curves instead).

On the bottom left where you see the speakers positioned in the room layout - click on the speakers to get exact coordinates. You can also move them and also your listening position by clicking and moving the cross hatch. Very useful to evaluate different positions.

For example changing the height of the listening position gives you the corresponding change in room acoustics.

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc: