IGNORED

24/192 via HDMI with a 2012 (Late) Mac Mini

Rebel17

Good evening, everyone.

For several years, I've been using a 2012 (Late) Mac Mini running Audirvana Plus 1.5 in iTunes integrated mode. I have the Mac Mini connected via HDMI cable to my receiver.

Recently, I upgraded my receiver to a Marantz SR5008 and was excited that I would be able to listen to some 24/192 albums I had purchased over the years. Unfortunately, Audirvana shows that the receiver is not capable of going above 24/96.

Capture.PNG

I've opened a ticket with Marantz support, and they've told me that the receiver is capable of decoding 24/192 over HDMI, so I'm now wondering if the issue is with something else in my chain. Is my Mac Mini limited to 24/96 over HDMI?

“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others."

-William Faulkner

Good evening, everyone.

For several years, I've been using a 2012 (Late) Mac Mini running Audirvana Plus 1.5 in iTunes integrated mode. I have the Mac Mini connected via HDMI cable to my receiver.

Recently, I upgraded my receiver to a Marantz SR5008 and was excited that I would be able to listen to some 24/192 albums I had purchased over the years. Unfortunately, Audirvana shows that the receiver is not capable of going above 24/96.

I've opened a ticket with Marantz support, and they've told me that the receiver is capable of decoding 24/192 over HDMI, so I'm now wondering if the issue is with something else in my chain. Is my Mac Mini limited to 24/96 over HDMI?

Yes. Unfortunately, it is a Mac OS problem. I spent many hours with Mac tech support over two month before they admitted defeat. It is not a Marantz problem.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Yes. Unfortunately, it is a Mac OS problem. I spent many hours with Mac tech support over two month before they admitted defeat. It is not a Marantz problem.

Not a Mac OS problem (or, at least, not ubiquitous):

Screen Shot 2015-09-09 at 10.45.24 PM.png

No problem outputting 24/192 to my Pioneer SC-81 via HDMI.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Not a Mac OS problem (or, at least, not ubiquitous):
Right: Not ubiquitous. Apple was not able to get my MacMini to do more than 24/96kHz in multichannel although the hardware spec clearly says it is possible. I tried several apps (jRiver, Audirvana+, decibel, etc.). Gave up and went to BootCamp/Win7 with success. So it ain't the hardware and, since jRiverWin was OK, it wasn' the app.

Kal Rubinson

Thanks for the replies. it almost seems like a driver issue.

Macs don't use unique audio drivers for digital audio. They use a system-level protocol that obviates the need for audio drivers when used with different DACs. That Mac "driver" would be ubiquitous and if 24/192 didn't work for one Mac, it wouldn't work for any of them. I'd look elsewhere; your nirvana software perhaps or the Marantz's DAC or perhaps the combination of the two of them together. Are you using the Mac to do multichannel? I'm pretty sure Kal is. If that's 24/192 that you can't get to work, I dunno. I don't do surround, myself, so it's possible that Macs just won't do 24/192 surround. If that's the case, Apple had best fix it and fix it quick. A new OS release is due around November. Perhaps they'll get it right at long last.

George

Macs don't use unique audio drivers for digital audio. They use a system-level protocol that obviates the need for audio drivers when used with different DACs. That Mac "driver" would be ubiquitous and if 24/192 didn't work for one Mac, it wouldn't work for any of them. I'd look elsewhere; your nirvana software perhaps or the Marantz's DAC or perhaps the combination of the two of them together. Are you using the Mac to do multichannel? I'm pretty sure Kal is. If that's 24/192 that you can't get to work, I dunno. I don't do surround, myself, so it's possible that Macs just won't do 24/192 surround. If that's the case, Apple had best fix it and fix it quick. A new OS release is due around November. Perhaps they'll get it right at long last.

No, that works too - listening to the Berlin Philharmonic via HDMI at multichannel 24/192 right now :)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I know and I get pissed off at Apple every time I hear you. What's the secret?

I just hooked up my HDMI cable from my Mac Mini to my AVR (I originally had an Onkyo, now a Pioneer), and it all worked.

Maybe too obvious, but you should make sure is that HDMI is set up (in Audio MIDI) to output to 8 channels, not 2:

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 10.00.18 PM.png

If it's set in Audio MIDI to 2 channels, that's what the player (e.g., Audirvana, JRiver, etc.) will see, as well, and not give you multichannel as an option.

Thanks for confirming what I'm trying to do is possible, John. I feel your frustration, Kal.

Just for grins, I connected my Windows laptop to my Marantz, and I had no problem selecting and playing back 24/192 files at their native resolution. There's got to be something at the OS level that is says that my receiver isn't capable of anything higher than 24/96, so it's not offering the option. I don't know that it's worth the money to open a support case with Apple (especially based on Kal's experience). Maybe I just cut bait and try not to let it bother me.

“There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others."

-William Faulkner

I just hooked up my HDMI cable from my Mac Mini to my AVR (I originally had an Onkyo, now a Pioneer), and it all worked.

Maybe too obvious, but you should make sure is that HDMI is set up (in Audio MIDI) to output to 8 channels, not 2:

If it's set in Audio MIDI to 2 channels, that's what the player (e.g., Audirvana, JRiver, etc.) will see, as well, and not give you multichannel as an option.

Thanks but, yes, it is set (and works) for 8channel output. The problem is that it is restricted to 24/96.

Kal Rubinson

No, that works too - listening to the Berlin Philharmonic via HDMI at multichannel 24/192 right now :)

OK. Like I said. I have little to no interest in surround sound, especially 5.X with right, left, and center up-front either multi-miked or three spaced omni-directional mikes. So, I was merely speculating about what could be the problem. Obviously I was wrong. Not the first time; and certainly not the last....

George