IGNORED

New Bowers and Wilkins 800 series...

Differences in frequency response resulting of tilting are well characterised in this measurement:

1205802fig6.jpg

B&W 802D, vertical response family at 50",

normalized to response on tweeter axis,

from back to front: differences in response 15–5° above axis,

reference response, differences in response 5–15° below axis.

Read more at B&W 802D loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 4 weeks later...

The "timbres are closer to being correct"???

"It's a illusion", he says, and quite rightly for he is deluded.

R

Just FYI, tilting the speakers a small degree won't affect the timbre, but the timing. And getting the correct timing (= "group delay") is *vastly* more important than small timbre changes or even room treatment. Kal's adjustment changed tweeter-midrange timing around 2us, which our ears can certainly detect when we are very close to correct positioning.

Axiom05:

"...The vertical axis of the speakers was not correct, we were sitting too low, so I think with proper alignment there would be a bit more high frequency energy..."

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

• 3 months later...

In my opinion, BnW's kevlar midrange drivers on the speaker's I've listened to produce a noticeable, unpleasant, "coloration" at the top of their passband. It will be interesting to see if, with the new cone material, they've gotten rid of it (even if the raggedness of the upper-midrange does make it more difficult to identify)

hi

800 D3' date=' on the right, its crossover, large black capacitors said to be [i']newly developed[/i]

Well they *Finally* decided to use ribbon inductors, only about 15 years late! And proper resistors too, heatsinked, but use giant fancy caps instead of cap arrays. Well, they are a bargain, they can't afford the very best crossover parts. Golly, I bet the bass is not shabby. B&W does magnificent bass drivers.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Well they *Finally* decided to use ribbon inductors, only about 15 years late! And proper resistors too, heatsinked, but use giant fancy caps instead of cap arrays. Well, they are a bargain, they can't afford the very best crossover parts. Golly, I bet the bass is not shabby. B&W does magnificent bass drivers.

In my opinion, BnW had got the bass right in the sealed cabinet of the 801F but then change to bass reflex and ruined it.

R