IGNORED

New Bowers and Wilkins 800 series...

Since this website is called "Computer Audiophile" shouldn't the discussion be limited to the MM-1?

Well a computer and DAC is pretty pointless without the amplifier and speakers to go after ...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I would be curious to hear feedback (no pun intended) from those members that have upgraded to any of the D3 speakers. I went from 803D2s to 803D3s and I could not be happier. I could be more specific, subjectively, but more specific on why I am so happy with the D3s if there is interest... :)

I went from 803D2s to 803D3s and I could not be happier.

How much did they cost you in the US ? I recall when reading Andrew Everard, £12,500 :

Last weekend’s system? Mac Book Air providing the tunes, Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3s filling the room.

marantz-hd_amp1-bl-atmosphere-scaled600.jpg

Linking them together, the Marantz HD-AMP1 – the company’s new super-amplifier-in-miniature, yours for just £799.

Yes, a compact and highly affordable integrated amplifier driving a pair of speakers with a price-tag in the region of £12,500; and however ridiculous the combination may sound on paper (or screen or whatever), it works – and spectacularly well...

And photo proof of AE's mentioned setup, from their Japan introduction :

90.jpg

開発試聴室でHD-AMP1の説明を行う澤田氏

86.jpg

発表会ではB&W「803 D3」と組み合わせてのデモも実施された

l_hm_ma02.jpg

背面端子部

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

wgscott, what you may not have seen :

7094.jpg

And :

I'm going to wait for its New Zealand release and audition how it drives speakers' date=' for minimalist setups such as exampled by :

[img']http://www.phileweb.com/news/photo/audio/165/16583/102_1.jpg[/img]

Of its original Japanese review description :
シチュエーション別の設置例も公開された。こちらはリビングでの使用を想定した展示

So, HD-AMP1 stock have not-yet-landed into the USA ?

And, since just before Christmas, I've decided to get a good few weeks break from entering arguments with prolific Forum entities...

For anyone interested, there are 2 current Threads, an early, General Forum Marantz' HD-AMP1 referencing their HD-DAC1

Latter, DAC Forum's 11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1

«

an accurate picture

Congrats! It's interesting (and great) that you felt the upgrade was worth it.

I was at my dealer's introduction to the 802D3. It was MacBook to Classe CP-800->CA-M600->802D3 setup. Very similar to my own config of older stuff (SSP-800->biamped->CA-5200/CA-M400->802D2). I heard improvements in many areas and bass extension was very compelling. The highs seem to blend better too. But it sounded different from their previous signature (to me). I went from 802D1 to 802D2 after only 1-yr when I heard their demo. But I couldn't justify the price diff and desire to go from 802D2 to 802D3.

CAD$24K MSRP opens up a lot of options...I think.

Anyhoo...enjoy your new gear! :)

Cheers,

-H

I would be curious to hear feedback (no pun intended) from those members that have upgraded to any of the D3 speakers. I went from 803D2s to 803D3s and I could not be happier. I could be more specific, subjectively, but more specific on why I am so happy with the D3s if there is interest... :)

carewser, back on 08-30-2015 (embolden and underlined especially for you) :

Okay' date=' since no one has said as such, from 5th edition (April 1, 2015) Preface of [b']Handbook for Sound Engineers (Audio Engineering Society Presents)[/b] :
Digital has certainly made its place in all forms of audio, but analog systems will still be around for a long time. After all, sound is analog and the transfer of sound waves to a microphone is analog, and from the loudspeaker to our ears is analog.

51Va9MgVpbL._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Digital (media) to Analog (sounds) Converter

What does « digital » sound like without a DAC ? And an exception-of-sorts being a particular « digital » without a DAC—but with « un ottimo filtro low pass » ?

«

an accurate picture

I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question

I almost exclusively use a computer as the source for my 2 channel system, which consists of a large 2 channel power amp and B&W 800 Diamonds.

I suppose the answer depends on your definition of "computer audio".

I'm still waiting for someone to answer this question

I did answer it!

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

RFP, do most people that own B&W 800 Diamonds use them as computer speakers?

According to the International 800 Diamond User Club, 197 of it's 791 members use other sources.

;)

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I use my 802D2 speakers exclusively as computer speakers, however they do take up a lot of desk space. ;-) But seriously, computer-based files are my only source of playback, therefore discussions within this forum are very relevant for me.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

This (site) isn't (just) about "computer speakers" though. It's about using a computer as part of a high quality audio system. In this respect its a source no different to a CD player or turntable.

Eloise

---

For anyone interested' date=' there are 2 current Threads, an early, [i']General Forum[/i] Marantz' HD-AMP1 referencing their HD-DAC1

So no need for you to spam this one too with a bunch of photos. I am both a B&W and Marantz fan, but I still cannot understand why you insist on doing this.

And, since just before Christmas, I've decided to get a good few weeks break from entering arguments with prolific Forum entities...

My pointing out that the "super amplifier"'s 35 W is disappointing (unless one happens to own highly efficient speakers), is not arguing with you. If the "super amplifier" was, say, 120 W per channel, like some of the newer Peachtree options, then I think they would have hit a home run. My Nova was crippled by its 55 WPC into 8 ohms, so I had to add an external amplifier. (At least Marantz gives the option of getting the DAC/pre as separates. Now if only that had balanced outputs ...).

wgscott, your understanding is yours. And how I communicate is mine.

If you request it, as an exception, I will place you on my Ignore List (and won't again answer your barbs). Likewise, just do the same to...

So, easier quoting, previously :

Am reminded (by concurrent Threads) of the following Q&A from HFC interview pdf (same source as Post #1) :

How important is test and measurement to Marantz ? And how do you balance measured performance with your subjective listening ?

There I think we have to be very careful not to mislead people with specifications. That's what I find is the biggest problem today because people believe a 100-watt amplifier is much louder than a 70-watt' date=' but the difference is small. So all these technical things on the specs and the reality is such a big difference - getting the consumer to understand is hard work. Measurement is important, but it's not the final goal. For me it's just a confirmation. So, 0.003 against 0.001 - so what ?

[/b']

20151202154943_Remkes-Ishiwata-9.jpg

It's still only 10 days into 2016, ideally, we should all be enjoying a good dose of relaxation—perhaps with our choices in AV and...

And :

Recalling these Marantz graphs' date=' from one generation to the next, of [/font']« momentary current » capability :

pm8005_3.jpg

Also, from 11.2 MHz DSD&384 kHz 32 bit PCM (¥140,000) HD-AMP1 that you didn't reference :

Thanks Miska' date=' it's good to know what [b']Hypex said :
Shown below is a family of frequency response plots, taken with loads of 3, 6 and infinity (open circuit) ohms.

image008.gif

This is a breath of fresh air compared to other class D amplifiers that have a very wobbly frequency response that can vary over several (if not tens of) decibels, depending on what happens to be attached.

The load-insensitivity of the frequency response (ie. the output impedance) of UcD is even significantly lower than that of most class A amplifiers! This insures that irrespective of the kind of loudspeaker used with UcD, it will produce exactly the impulse response it was designed for.

«

an accurate picture

wgscott' date=' your [i']understanding[/i] is yours. And how I communicate is mine.

If you request it, as an exception, I will place you on my Ignore List (and won't again answer your barbs). Likewise, just do the same to...

I'm just suggesting you should formulate and post your own ideas, not just obscure context-free quotes, photos and videos that make it look like a spam-bot has hijacked your account.