IGNORED

How to output audio from the new 4th gen Apple TV?

Apple just released the new 4th gen Apple TV -- and killed the optical audio output port!

For some time I have been serving my ALAC 16/44.1 audio library from my home-office to the living room in the following way:

iTunes (running on a Windows 7 PC) ==> Ethernet cable ==> Apple TV 3rd gen ==> optical cable audio output ==> DAC Simaudio Moon 100D ==> RCA analog audio output cable ==> Cambridge Azur 851A Integrated amplifier ==> B&W Diamond 804 speakers

obs.: From the Apple TV 3rd gen I also output a HDMI cable (video only) to the TV.

Well, now Apple just released the new 4th gen Apple TV -- and eliminated the optical audio output port!

How I am suppose to output audio in this new 4th gen Apple TV??

There is only a HDMI output in this new model:

apple-iphone-6s-live-_1766.jpg

Please help.

I am with James...why "upgrade". I see no compelling reason to get the "updated" ATV.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Why upgrade?

During the last 10 years I have built a collection in iTunes of around 1000 CDs burned in ALAC 16/44.1 with complete meta data including cover artwork. The new Apple TV provides a huge improvement in the interface with this meta data: screen, remote and even voice recognition. So, I will be able to search and experience the collection in a much richer and functional way. Furthermore the current Apple TV (3rd gen) is having problems displaying some cover artwork due to memory restrictions -- issue that should be solved with a hardware upgrade. Moreover, the new Apple TV has games, apps, interactive content that certainly will be cool to try with a nice audio setup.

My old 42" Panasonic plasma TV has a Toslink (optical) output. I use my 3rd gen ATV with HDMI only and use the Toslink on a 12' line to my DAC. Granted I use ATV for youtubes and airplay, etc., not music.

If your TV has optical output..

Best,

Andrew Bacon

'if it aint broke take it apart and find out why'

Would something like this work?

4X1 HDMI Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port

Well, I believe I need to split the HDMI signal in separate video and audio. So, if I connect:

Apple TV 4th gen ==> HDMI output cable ==> 4x1 HDMI Switch ==> 2 cables out:

1) HDMI cable to TV ( video )

2) optical cable to DAC ( audio )

So, will the 4x1 HDMI® Switch separate correctly the audio and video from the HDMI input?

My TV does the audio de-imbed and sends signal out its Toslink, but if your TV isn't outfitted with that-

Yes, those work, we put one in a budget conscious elementary school and it does as it should.

Monoprice has the same box you posted for nearly half the price, fwiw.

Best,

Andrew Bacon

'if it aint broke take it apart and find out why'

Well, I believe I need to split the HDMI signal in separate video and audio. So, if I connect:

Apple TV 4th gen ==> HDMI output cable ==> 4x1 HDMI Switch ==> 2 cables out:

1) HDMI cable to TV ( video )

2) optical cable to DAC ( audio )

So, will the 4x1 HDMI® Switch separate correctly the audio and video from the HDMI input?

looks like that is the intent with the product -- should be good to go.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Apple just released the new 4th gen Apple TV -- and killed the optical audio output port!

For some time I have been serving my ALAC 16/44.1 audio library from my home-office to the living room in the following way:

iTunes (running on a Windows 7 PC) ==> Ethernet cable ==> Apple TV 3rd gen ==> optical cable audio output ==> DAC Simaudio Moon 100D ==> RCA analog audio output cable ==> Cambridge Azur 851A Integrated amplifier ==> B&W Diamond 804 speakers

obs.: From the Apple TV 3rd gen I also output a HDMI cable (video only) to the TV.

Well, now Apple just released the new 4th gen Apple TV -- and eliminated the optical audio output port!

How I am suppose to output audio in this new 4th gen Apple TV??

There is only a HDMI output in this new model:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20835[/ATTACH]

Please help.

Hello Marcello,

I use a Atlona De-embedder from my Oppo 95 via HDMI and from the De-embedder a Coax cable to my Dac's Coax. I do so to avoid the Oppo's Dac in favor of my own Dac. I believe a switcher in an earlier post was also suggested. I am just following through with another suggestion that might also work for your outcome of upgrading to an ATV 4. Good fortune in any case,

Richard

I have a Kanex Pro HDMI switch at home, which works perfectly well. I think that it does what you want. The above-mentioned Monoprice and Atlone seem to be doing the same, but I personally have no experience using them so can't say anything more about them.

4x1 HDMI Switcher with Digital & Stereo Audio - Discontinued

I own this one, which is discontinued. There is a new 4K-compatible model, which regrettably seems to offer only TOSLink against Toslink and coaxial in the one I have.

Thank you all for the answers.

It seems unanimous that a HDMI Switch with a Toslink output will solve the issue with the new Apple TV.

However, I would like to ask which HDMI Switch to buy, since the 3 recommended models have quite a different price range:

Option 1: Monoprice 105557 4x1 HDMI Switch with Toslink ($59.14)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HMAW3SZ8VC6P&coliid=I1Z06DSY538RRL

Option 2: Kanex Pro 4x1 HDMI Switcher with Digital & Stereo Audio ($109.95)

Amazon.com: Kanex Pro 4x1 HDMI Switcher with Digital & Stereo Audio, Full HD 1080p, HDCP Compliant, 2.25 Gbps (HDSW4HF): Electronics

Option3: Atlona Technologies AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder ($279.99)

http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Technologies-AT-HD570-Audio--Embedder/dp/B00QFPVMVA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441981133&sr=8-2&keywords=Atlona+HDMI+Audio+De-Embedder

Which one shall I buy? Is it worthy to spend more money for a better result in this case?

PS: if you can still find it somewhere, the old, discontinued KanexPro that I referenced in my previous message has the advantage (over the new one) of a coaxial output. Coaxial goes easily to 24/192, while Toslink sometimes is limited to 24/96 (though I don't know if this limits apply to the new KanexPro box).

Thank you all for the answers.

It seems unanimous that a HDMI Switch with a Toslink output will solve the issue with the new Apple TV.

However, I would like to ask which HDMI Switch to buy, since the 3 recommended models have quite a different price range:

Option 1: Monoprice 105557 4x1 HDMI Switch with Toslink ($59.14)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2HMAW3SZ8VC6P&coliid=I1Z06DSY538RRL

Option 2: Kanex Pro 4x1 HDMI Switcher with Digital & Stereo Audio ($109.95)

Amazon.com: Kanex Pro 4x1 HDMI Switcher with Digital & Stereo Audio, Full HD 1080p, HDCP Compliant, 2.25 Gbps (HDSW4HF): Electronics

Option3: Atlona Technologies AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder ($279.99)

Amazon.com: Atlona Technologies AT-HD570 HDMI Audio De-Embedder: Electronics

Which one shall I buy? Is it worthy to spend more money for a better result in this case?

Marcello,

Highly recommend the Atlona which I have been using since 2011 without any problems. Excellent in my opinion. Of course, you need to decide what meets your requirements.

Best,

Richard

IMG_0856.jpg

• 3 months later...
Marcello,

Highly recommend the Atlona which I have been using since 2011 without any problems. Excellent in my opinion. Of course, you need to decide what meets your requirements.

Best,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20862[/ATTACH]

As a conclusion for this issue, I finally purchased the Atlona AT-HD 570 HDMI Audio de-embedder -- and it worked perfectly to connect the audio from the new Apple TV 4th gen to a DAC via optical cable.

I have been using this setup for a few weeks, and it sounds great.

Thanks specially to Richard (REShaman )for the tip.

Best, Marcello.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Glad to hear you got it working. Did you find that upgrading the ATV3 to ATV4 had any advantages? Mine was the first Apple product I returned in over 20 years. My 12 year old thought the games sucked, everyone hated the remote control, my wife and I had trouble reading the light grey font on white backgrounds, and the Netflix interface seemed much less intuitive. Then you have to close apps like on the iPhone/iPad. (Why?) I personally really wanted to like it, but found no advantages over our ATV2, except 1080p vs. 720p. We aren't videophiles; we couldn't see the difference (from 12 ft away from the TV, where we sit).

As a conclusion for this issue, I finally purchased the Atlona AT-HD 570 HDMI Audio de-embedder -- and it worked perfectly to connect the audio from the new Apple TV 4th gen to a DAC via optical cable.

I have been using this setup for a few weeks, and it sounds great.

Thanks specially to Richard (REShaman )for the tip.

Best, Marcello.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23078[/ATTACH]

Hello Marcello,

Thank you for the kind words. Happy to learn you succeeded with the outcome you sought and to our satisfaction. Nothing succeeds like success.

Happy New Year 2016

Enjoy the music,

Richard

2 questions about the hdmi splitters

1. I assume they are pas thru. So the rae digital audio signal is just separated at the splitter and sent out the Optical out to one's DAC. So not there should be no loss of audio quality due to the splitter. Am i correct?

2. Does any audio carry over with the HDMI "output"? So I can watch content without turning on stereo?

Thanks for responses

I use the Atlona De-embedder for one purpose: To by-pass the OPPO 95 Dacs when I employ it to play music. The configuration allows one to send the music signals from the OPPO 95 through the De-embedder via HDMI and from the Atlona via BNC coax to my Dac, AND employ the my Dac without OPPO doing the analogue conversion.

I am limiting my response to the method I use for a specific purpose.

Best,

Richard

2 questions about the hdmi splitters

1. I assume they are pas thru. So the rae digital audio signal is just separated at the splitter and sent out the Optical out to one's DAC. So not there should be no loss of audio quality due to the splitter. Am i correct?

2. Does any audio carry over with the HDMI "output"? So I can watch content without turning on stereo?

Thanks for responses

I have the Kanex and it works well. Yes, it continues to send audio over HDMI.

Software: Roon [depricated: Moode Audio (http://moodeaudio.org), Audirvana Plus+]

Digital: Ayre Codex [upgrading to Ayre QX-5 Twenty]; Oppo UDP-205; [depricated: Raspberry Pi 2 with Hifiberry Digi+];  Synology Diskstation 412+ NAS;  Tidal

Preamplification: Ayre KX-5 Twenty;  Amplification: Ayre VX-5 Twenty; Speakers: Vandersteen 5A 

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC, Concept tonearm, Artist v2 ebony cartridge, Ayre P-5xe, Nakamichi 630 (Tuner… just for fun)

Cables: Audioquest Aspen for speakers, otherwise Anti-cables throughout (except Audioquest running from P-5xe to K-5xeMP)