IGNORED

Dirac Live on a Windows 2012R2 Server with Audiophile Optimizer

Hello. Here's a good one. My music server, which I use solely for playing multichannel audio files off my NAS and through my miniDSP u-DAC8, is a CAPS Zuma (i7 processor, 16Gb RAM), which obviously has adequate processing power for the Dirac Live suite. However, it is configured to run Windows Server 2012R2 Standard Edition with a GUI in "core mode" with the Audiophile Optimizer software (Highend-AudioPC | Audiophile Optimizer) that shuts off most of Windows's processes. I currently use JRiver 20 on the server as the player and control remotely with JRemote software on an iPhone. My understanding is that 2012R2 is essentially the same as Windows 7.

I output the DAC into the analog multichannel inputs of my Marantz AV-7702 pre/pro. Those inputs do not support Audyssey sound correction, which is why I am interested in running Dirac in the server before outputting to the miniDSP DAC.

Phil of AO has not yet tested Dirac but is thinking if I re-run his software wizard and enable Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support in his software, it could support Dirac. The manual describing his software is here: https://pdf.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer-setup-guide.pdf. I am wondering if anyone here previously had experience with this or at the least can help me identify what Windows processes need to be functioning in order to support Dirac. I also have this same question directly into Dirac and will share what I hear from them.

Thanks much. Looking forward to figuring this out! Cheers. JCR

Hi jrobbins50,

I am using the VST version of Dirac on an AO machine. This version, aka Dirac Studio, is in beta stage (i.e. no support). You can ask Dirac for a copy (if it is still available). My experience with the VST version of Dirac in AO core mode has been stable once things are in the right state. What I mean is, whenever I make a trip out to GUI mode (say, to make some configuration change) and come back to core mode, Dirac kinda acts up by either not being able to login (it responds with a message that I exceeded license count, which is not) or by simply crashing. I do not know the exact combination but after a few try, it magically works. From then on, it is stable. Recently, after upgrading AO to its latest version, somehow, I am not able to get into the stable state at all. I am still experimenting with some help from Dirac (by letting them reset my license count over and over. They probably does not like that.). Dirac is not releasing info on stable version availability date (or such date is not set yet at all). So for now if I must use Dirac with AO, I remain in the GUI mode with a 'ao -u' run.

One thing I noticed is that the poorer (no disrespect) the speaker (or room acoustic) quality is the more effective Dirac is. So much so that I just cannot live without Dirac on certain speaker/room combination. With a good speaker/room combination, Dirac sometimes makes me wonder if the sound of 'good' speakers are made more pleasing than actually it is. Maybe I am not used to 'accurate' sound. Many times I prefer the 'without Dirac' sound. Everyone should try Dirac. They offer a free evaluation. So I can be sure one I am hearing is more 'accurate' sound by getting more feedback from good folks from CA^^.

Once I get a chance to reinstall Live version on AO core mode, I will let you know how it goes. I probably have to manually start the DAP if it starts at all. But please don't hold your breath. Not finding enough time to play around.

I hope these bits help.

Cheers,

shinyc

PS. It is not entirely free. You have to buy (or borrow) a microphone^^.

Music Source: NAS[Synology], Qobuz, Tidal

Music Player: Roonserver[Mac mini]

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

DDC: Iso Regen w/LPS1.2, Acousence afi+USB (USB to S/PDIF) w/Li-ion battery PS

DAC: Yggdrasil Analog 2

I am using the VST version of Dirac on an AO machine. This version, aka Dirac Studio, is in beta stage (i.e. no support). You can ask Dirac for a copy (if it is still available).

^^.

Hi Shinyc.

Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions. As you know, the Dirac folks are not providing support around AO enabled servers, so it seems it is up to the audiophile community (perhaps with AudioPhil's input) to sort this out.

I have a note into Dirac to request a copy of the beta Dirac Studio aka VST version. Meanwhile, I will try the standard Dirac Live suite by enabling Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support as suggested by AudioPhil. Let's continue to compare notes here and see if we can find a stable and appropriate way to run both AO and Dirac on the same 2012R2 server. Cheers. JCR

• 2 weeks later...
I'm also interested in how this works out. I''d like to try Dirac. Currently running Server 2012 with AO , JPLay and JRiver but want to switch to W10 once Phil releases the new AO compatable with that OS. Plan on sticking with GUI mode for now.

I do not use any exotic software, optimizers, etc., just Win 7 and JRiver. But, I am willing to bet that the biggest contributor to improved sound among these will be Dirac Live. So, if there are conflicts, incompatibilities, etc., eliminate those in favor of what you need for Dirac. YMMV, of course, except for VW Clean Diesels.

I do not use any exotic software, optimizers, etc., just Win 7 and JRiver. But, I am willing to bet that the biggest contributor to improved sound among these will be Dirac Live. So, if there are conflicts, incompatibilities, etc., eliminate those in favor of what you need for Dirac. YMMV, of course, except for VW Clean Diesels.

Thank you Fitz

• 6 months later...

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I am looking seriously at using DIRAC with AO and JPLAY. It seems like from this thread that DIRAC will work with AO in GUI mode. Whats not so clear is if DIRAC will work in Core mode. Has anyone tried this?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 4 months later...

Like tbooe I will try and revive this thread.

Here is a post I recently put up on the minidsp forum. I am also waiting a reply from Phil at AO re the USBStreamer ASIO driver in core mode

Hello all,

Researching the use of the USB Streamer into the 22D. I have the following set up.......

CAPS (Lagoon - WS2012 R2 Essentials OS with Audiophile Optimizer v1.31 beta10 in Ultimate Core mode - 128g SS HD + Sotm USB exp card) + Synology NAS DS411 Slim - JRiver 18 - Elijah Quad Braid Mk4 USB Cable (Aqvox Low Noise Power Supply at each end of cable) - into JLTi Oppo 105D (Level 4 Upgrade) into SGR CX4F Active Speakers.

I have opted to go this digital route as I wish to use the DAC/Preamp and Vol control on the Oppo 105 as I currently do.

I pondered using the 22A beteen the Oppo105 and the Active SGR speakers but that simply adds the 'ADC back to DAC' in the audio path after the Oppo105 and that didn't make sense to me.

To make it work with the available digital connections I would need to incorporate a Minidsp USB Streamer to run the digital path from the CAPS. So my intended path would be - CAPS usb cable out into Streamer USB B input - Streamer Output via Optical into DDRC 22D. 22D optical out into the Oppo105 Optical in etc etc.

Q1) Is the Streamer ASIO driver compatible with the WS2012 R2 Essentials?

Q2) Has anyone used a Streamer with a CAPS installed with AO in Ultimate Core Mode? Any issues installing the ASIO driver onto the WS2012 and making it all work? I use JRiver in CAPS with the ASIO driver and the Vol disabled. As I mentioned the Oppo105 provides the DAC/Pre Amp and Vol control.

Q3) From my reading can someone confirm I select and use the I2S/Toslink software to run my 2 channel system.

Q4) There is Vol setting in both the Streamer and the 22D. Can these both be disabled so that the entire vol control is still handled by the Oppo105? In other words will the digital signal path basically run straight through the Streamer into the DSP of the DIRAC Live then out, with a minimum of fuss to the Oppo.

With the Streamer and 22D I would be adding 2 pieces of hardware into my basic audio stream. I'm hoping the improvement using the Dirac Live will offset any possible degrading of the SQ with these additions.

Any thoughts/answers and/or suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks in advance for any reply's

Regards Cazzesman

• 1 year later...

I am successfully running Dirac Live in core mode either through KS or ASIO. I am running it together with HQPlayer. 

• AO 2.20b5 (w/ WASAPI injection)
  • Windows Server 2016 Standard
  • Dirac 1.1
  • HQPlayer 3.18.1

If you install USB Audio Device driver for microphone (UMIK-1 for instance), you can even run the Dirac Calibration Tool in core mode. Pretty neat. For the ASIO driver, I am using JL Audio XMOS device. AO setting is all the way Ultimate style.

In WS2016, you CANNOT switch between GUI and core modes. The mode is decided when you install the OS. That means you have to learn a few command line commands such as:

netsh interface ip show config

netsh interface ip set address "Ethernet" dhcp

netsh interface ip set address "Ethernet" static 1.0.0.7 255.255.255.0

Get-NetAdapterBinding*

Disable-NetAdapterBinding*

* For arguments for these, you can figure them out yourself ^^

** OS installation defaults to dhcp.

*** You might have different name then "Ethernet". Get your interface alias assigned using the first command (show config thing).

**** You have to be connected to the Internet during the first run of the Dirac Calibration Tool and every time you run "Optimize Curve" command.

Configure everything and check that everything works before running the AO command (aka. optimization).

For my setup, KS sounds more lively and upfront where as ASIO more tamed (and somewhat muted). And Music sounds much cleaner at night (i.e. needs clean power everywhere.).

For AO installation details please see link. Read this first before you do anything

*** Very Important***

Once WS2016 is installed, whenever you boot the machine, you should hit F8 key (like crazy) so your machine boots in driver signature verification disabled mode. I could not figure out how to disable the signature verification permanently. This is the most annoying part.

I also wrote a small batch file so that HQPlayer and Dirac comes up automatically. I can share this one in my next post.

During the sound card driver (hardware, not the DAP) installation, run the devmgmt.msc (device manager) command to monitor if the sound card driver is properly installed. If you see a little yellow warning triangle sign over your device, it is most likely that signature verification is on. Reboot and do the "F8" thing properly. Or you know the drill. Do the installation over and over again.

To install driver for the USB Audio Device, use the files attached below. Put them in a directory and go through that "I have the installation disk" ritual through devmgmt.msc GUI.

Happy installation!

drmk.sys

drmkaud.sys

ksthunk.sys

portcls.sys

USBAUDIO.sys

usbaudio2.sys

wdma_usb.inf

wdmaudio.inf

Control PC: squeeze2upnp, fb2k, dirac, Jplay Femto, Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 GUI, Mac mini w/HDPlex 200W

Audio PC: Jplay Femto(KS/1000hz), Fidelizer, AO(4D), WS2019 core, i7 w/HDPlex 200W

And one more thing. As soon as OS installs, install AO first and run "AO -WASAPI" command before installing any programs or drivers. "AO -WASAPI" only installs WASAPI related components and does not take you through the optimization process (I am hoping I am recalling it correct.).