IGNORED

Basics: USB or Optical

Another basic question. The CA Academy article is now six years old. I've read lots of articles about being sure that the renderer has control of the USB clock and this seems to be pretty common these days. But when I read specs, the optical connection can usually handle higher bit rates. Odd since the bit rates of any music are so far below the actual transfer rate possible with USB 2.0.

In any case, given the choice of a USB or optical port from my iMac, is one clearly better than the other? Just for context, consider that I could be feeding either an integrated amp with it's own DAC (NAD, Anthem, etc. etc.) or a discrete DAC like a Chord 2QUTE.

Another basic question. The CA Academy article is now six years old. I've read lots of articles about being sure that the renderer has control of the USB clock and this seems to be pretty common these days. But when I read specs, the optical connection can usually handle higher bit rates. Odd since the bit rates of any music are so far below the actual transfer rate possible with USB 2.0.

In any case, given the choice of a USB or optical port from my iMac, is one clearly better than the other? Just for context, consider that I could be feeding either an integrated amp with it's own DAC (NAD, Anthem, etc. etc.) or a discrete DAC like a Chord 2QUTE.

The USB will most likely be the best option from your IMac.