IGNORED

iFi Launch - Houston. We have lift-off...iUSB3.0

At AMR/iFi, as you know, we like to do things a little different.

Meet 'Skin' – the iFi mascot for our skunkworks (what else of course wink_face.gif)

LL

'Skin' is pleased to announce a joint competition to run concurrently here and on Head-Fi.

The competition information is also posted here:

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio

Question – guess the new product

Close of competition – 15 Sept.

When we shall announce the actual new product that will be launched globally on the same day.

Prizes – the correct guesses will be placed into a hat and Skin will draw out 5 winners from each forum. So there are two sets of prizes for each forum.

1st Prize - The New iFi Product + Gemini Dual-Headed USB cable

2nd Prize - The New iFI Product + Mercury USB cable

3nd to 5th Prize - The New iFI Product

Special Prize! those who also explain correctly WHY our skunkworks mascot is called 'Skin' will go into special hat. This is a little side bonus.

How to guess:

Between now and 15 September, every few days or so, we shall leak clues.

All you have to do is state your answer:

Range: eg nano or micro or Retro

Model: eg iCAN

and also why you guessed this model (you do not have to explain your guess but we thought it would be fun this way for everyone!)

You can guess as many times as you like. But of course, each person may only win one prize (even if you double-entered via the two forums).

Any questions? Just ask away.

Clue no. 1:

It is a reboot of an existing product, so it isn’t THAT difficult to make a guess:

RETRO | iFi Audio

micro | iFi Audio

nano | iFi Audio

Clue no. 2:

As we are in a generous mood, another clue for you is the mystery new product requires this recently launched product, the iPOWER:

LL

Accessory – iPower

Okay, we have given enough clues away for one day.

Have fun and the best of luck everyone! regular_smile%20.gif

And thanks to Chris Connaker for letting us do something nuts for your guys.

Clue no. 3: Active Noise Cancellation+

LL

Post #10.

Clue no. 6: Note the sockets

900x900px-LL-c4f52976_MicroiUSB3-sideshot.png

Post #48.

Clue no. 7: Did somebody ask for helicarrier?

Post #56.

Clue no. 8: iFi doesn't do stock.

LL

Post #71.

Houston. We have lift-off...

micro iUSB3.0: ‘Next Gen’ Tech

The defining Audio + Power regenerator

[video=youtube;sCbfz--dXUE]

Post #82.

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Range: micro

Model: iUSB2

Reason: Since iFi Audio has discovered thru the iPower that the design for clean power can still be improved, it is but prudent to improve the iUSB and further improve the supply of US power into the nano and micro line, including the new iDAC 2.

Skin: The 'skin' mainly function as the protector of the human body from pathogens and from the external environment and prevents damage to the internal body parts and organs. In correlation to hifi audio, Skin will be the protector of pure hifi sound coming from the source until it reaches the speaker/headphones. Skin will ensure that the pure audio signal being produced by a source will be preserved and kept away from the contaminants.

Range: Micro

Model: iDSD Micro

As they are working on the iDSD Pro range, my guess is that the combination of iUSB Power improvements, what we have seen with the UpTone Regen and some of the development work for the Pro range would allow the iDSD Micro to be upgraded to hybrid desktop status (with iPower) while keeping the Nano a fully portable product.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

[h=2]Clue no3: Active Noise Cancellation +[/h] LL

Hint: The plane is the Dassault Rafale jet fighter. It has a very neat piece of hi-tech radar technology: that works akin to noise-cancellation headphones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

The Active Noise Cancellation+ technology that we have developed for the XXXXXXX is a core technology which you will see in quite a few of our new upcoming products. wink_face.gif

LL

Range Micro

Product iUSB

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Range Micro

Product iUSB

Why? Gotta beat Uptone Audio at the USB game!

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I say ...... AIKIDO!

合 – ai – joining, unifying, combining, fit

気 – ki – spirit, energy, mood, morale

道 – dō – way, path

There is the 'unifying' element wherein if applied to audio particularly in the 3rd clue, the noise produced can be replicated and added back to cancel out the original harmful noise. Thereby, allowing the original clean power to flow thru.

This technique was also applied in John Broskie's Aikido preamp, which in my opinion is one of the best new generation preamp design out there. John Broskie's Aikido preamp is a very quiet and transparent preamp because of the application of the Aikido principle in his design.

Product: iUSB

[h=2]Clue no3: Active Noise Cancellation +[/h] LL

Hint: The plane is the Dassault Rafale jet fighter. It has a very neat piece of hi-tech radar technology: that works akin to noise-cancellation headphones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Rafale

The Active Noise Cancellation+ technology that we have developed for the XXXXXXX is a core technology which you will see in quite a few of our new upcoming products. wink_face.gif

LL

Hi,

For anyone who missed this reply over on Head-Fi:

Hi,

ANC is totally unrelated to AIKIDO. We shall not comment on the details of AIKIDO here, but let's discuss ANC.

SPECTRA and Active Noise Cancellation technologies

No, we are not talking the upcoming Bond movie but the nomenclature is opportune!

Stealth technologies used in the military field fall under two main categories; passive and active.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_technology

1. Passive stealth technologies are based upon deflection and adsorption of the incoming radar from the air defence on the ground. Hence less radar signal is being reflected back to the ground radar.
  2. Active stealth technologies are based on active cancellation technology. By sampling and analysing the incoming radar and feeding it back to the hostile radar on the ground defence out of phase, thus cancelling out the returning radar echo.

The French twin-engine, canard delta wing, multi-role fighter aircraft; Dassault Rafale, features an integrated defensive-aid system named SPECTRA, which among others, uses Active stealth technologies.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Spectra

Active Noise Cancellation / Active Noise Cancellation +

iFi’s Active Noise Cancelling (ANC) and ANC+ systems are inspired by the Dassault Rafale fighter aircraft’s active stealth technology.

ANC/ANC+ detects the AC noise in the system and injects an equal, but opposite polarity noise into the system!

The end result is that the AC noise in the system is all but cancelled out by this opposite noise signal. Just like this:

The difference between ANC and ANC+ is the ultimate level of residual noise physically achievable. ANC achieves a noise level that is already beyond most so call audiophile “super regulators.”

ANC+ has the lowest noise output currently feasible. It is at the limit of what the Audio Precision can detect.

To lower it even further, one would have to suspend the ANC+ circuit in liquid nitrogen! blink.gif

Yeah, the REclock, REbalance and REgenerate does sound like an iFi version of the REGEN, in which case it would most likely be:

Model: iUSB2

Nonetheless, I'd still love to see these functions incorporated in a slightly higher priced version of the iDSD Micro (both to separate it from the Micro iDAC2 and to create a portable REGEN/DAC combo).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

The only other ting I can think of besides the Micro iUSBv2 would be the iLINKv2 in micro size.

REclock to create a new clocking signal for the audio data

REbalance Sounds more like impedance matching to maximize signal transfer

REgenerate recreate the audio data