IGNORED

Hegel HD12 pre-amping a Power-Amp - Will it work?

I'm not familiar with either piece of equipment, but looking at both links, you shouldn't have any problems. The AN P2 has volume contols that according to them allow it to function as a one input pre-amp/amplifier. And the Hegel also has volume control, and says it can drive either powered speakers or an amplifier directly.

Hopefully you you have reasonably efficient speakers. The 20 watts from the AN will be plenty loud with efficient speakers, but may not work well with inefficient ones.

Im currently quite happy running my DAC directly into my amps. But this is generally dependent on way that the output stage of the DAC and the input stage of an amp interact with one another—sometimes it's better to have a preamp's extra gain stage, or even just a buffer, to allow an amp to run in its sweet spot. Again—reading what both companies have written, I think you'll be fine.

Thanks for the insightful response pooger :)

I will have to figure out if those 20W are enough to drive ProAc D18

I am going to bring the Hegel DAC to audition with the P2 PP.

It would be insane to hook up my old Audiolab 8000S as a preamp with this equipment right? It does that function, but is of considerably lower fidelity.

Thanks for the insightful response pooger :)

I will have to figure out if those 20W are enough to drive ProAc D18

I am going to bring the Hegel DAC to audition with the P2 PP.

It would be insane to hook up my old Audiolab 8000S as a preamp with this equipment right? It does that function, but is of considerably lower fidelity.

I used an HD12 direct into a Job225. No problems at all.

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Being new to DACs, I have what is maybe a couple of silly questions.

I am considering getting Audio Note P2 PP (20W)

Audio Note

And having a Hegel HD12´s pre-amp "drive" it. Is that even possible? And will the power amp thrive enough if so?

Hegel Music Systems - HD12

Does anyone have any experience with pre-amping any power amps directly from a DACs pre-amp, especially the HD12´s?

I've run a Hegel HD12 straight into a power amp with no problem. IIRC I tried it with a Parasound Halo A23. You should be fine. Of course, taking the HD12 to your dealer's to try with the amp, as you've indicated you'll be doing, is the surest way to tell.

Good listening.

Disclaimer: I'm an authorized Hegel dealer.

I used an HD12 direct into a Job225. No problems at all.

Thanks, god to know. I went to a retailer today to get that HD12, the first step. It lead me to more confusion about whether to go for an integrated Hegel.

I've run a Hegel HD12 straight into a power amp with no problem. IIRC I tried it with a Parasound Halo A23. You should be fine. Of course, taking the HD12 to your dealer's to try with the amp, as you've indicated you'll be doing, is the surest way to tell.

Good listening.

Disclaimer: I'm an authorized Hegel dealer.

The retailer told me that the 88 db of my speakers might mean that 20 W is not enough for them to really thrive. Then he told me that the Hegel H80 has the HD12 build in, the identical DAC! Is this true?

Now I am seriously considering the Hegel H300 because of a good deal ($3100 new). It´s a long way away from tubes, but I realize that the great tube sound I would like comes are a MUCH higher price than that. I do quite like solid state as well, when done right, and will audition the H300 soon on my own speakers.

Is the DAC in HD12 and H300 similar?

Looking very much forward to listening :) thanks!

Thanks, god to know. I went to a retailer today to get that HD12, the first step. It lead me to more confusion about whether to go for an integrated Hegel.

The retailer told me that the 88 db of my speakers might mean that 20 W is not enough for them to really thrive. Then he told me that the Hegel H80 has the HD12 build in, the identical DAC! Is this true?

Now I am seriously considering the Hegel H300 because of a good deal ($3100 new). It´s a long way away from tubes, but I realize that the great tube sound I would like comes are a MUCH higher price than that. I do quite like solid state as well, when done right, and will audition the H300 soon on my own speakers.

Is the DAC in HD12 and H300 similar?

Looking very much forward to listening :) thanks!

Not really. The H80 has a good DAC in it, but it's not the same as the HD12. Similarly for the H300. For one thing, the capabilities are different. The HD12 will play PCM files up to 24/192 on all its inputs, including USB. The H80 and H300 DACs top out at 24/96 on the USB input. The HD12 will also play DSD64 files via USB. Neither the H80 nor H300 will play DSD at all.

That said, the Hegel integrateds are quite special. If you don't care about playing DSD files and you it doesn't matter to you that you can only play 24/96 PCM files via USB, both the H80 and the H300 are easy recommendations (as is the H160).

(Same disclaimer as last time.)

I liked the H80's sound a lot, but it's not exactly full-featured, i.e., no pre-outs, no headamp. The H160 is the sweet spot, IMO. Would love to hear the H360 when it comes: I bet it's a beast!

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)