IGNORED

Is the JS-2 sensitive to different power cables?

Has anyone experimented with different power cables feeding their JS-2 - and if so do you find much influence?

I've found that various power cables can really change the "sonic performance" of some gear - particularly DACs, preamps and amps. However, it varies - i.e. some DACs are more influenced by different power cables than others - presumably resulting from differences in the design/implementation of their power supply. Given the apparent care put into the JS-2 design I might suspect that its performance is less sensitive to the power cable - but I don't have an extra 'boutique' cable on hand to test this. If it makes a difference I'd happily upgrade the cable - I'm very pleased with the JS-2 already but if there's more goodness to be had I'm all in.

Mac Mini (PCIe Flash; UpTone MMK; UpTone JS-2) -> SOtM sms-100 (HD-PLEX LPS) -> UpTone REGEN -> Berkeley Alpha USB/DAC -> Parasound JC-2/JC-1 -> Merlin VSM-MM w/ dual ACI subs.

Hi LarBo:

That is a good question. While you certainly can experiment with other power cords to power your JS-2, I'll make two comments about that:

1) The black AC cord shipped with the JS-2, while a bit long at 2 meters (hard to get what I want at shorter lengths) is not a throw-away. It is a fairly heavy, 16AWG and is shielded. That particular Volex brand cord actually has a bit of a following in audio (Google it).

2) The JS-2 itself should be fairly immune to variations in power cords because of both its choke-filtered design and use of Schottky diodes (resulting in very little harmonics being kicked back into the wall), as well as its R-C snubber network on the secondary of the transformer.

We think AC power cords make sonic differences to some components because they act as filters--in both directions--but the JS-2 is unlikely to be very sensitive to that.

But again, feel free to experiment!

Regards,

--Alex C.

I did experiment by replacing the power cord that arrived with my JS-2 with the Shunyata Venom3 I formerly used for my Mac Mini before I replaced the power supply with the MMK. Honestly, I could not discern a difference if that is even possible. I also added so many changes that I attaching a significant and singular advantage to any specific addition was rendered nearly impossible. However, the Whole turns out to be greater than the sum of its parts. And power cord for the better, same, or indifferent, my system has never been better.

And for that I am grateful. Power to the cable!

Enjoy the music,

Richard

• 9 months later...

I tried other power cable on the JS-2 and I hear an improvement for sure.

I found the difference on par than using it on my amp.

Has anyone experimented with different power cables feeding their JS-2 - and if so do you find much influence?

I've found that various power cables can really change the "sonic performance" of some gear - particularly DACs, preamps and amp.

• 3 months later...

I found that using a different power cable, and using an isolated wall power source, does make a difference with the JS-2.

But, its far less sensitive than other LPS I have used, such as TeddyPardo and the HDPLEX.

So Uptone's design brief, to not feed hash back into the line, potentially effecting the entire system, has been a big success (in my system).

Using JS-2 on the same power strip, the performance drop-off was minimal, something that could not be said about the others.

1) The black AC cord shipped with the JS-2, while a bit long at 2 meters (hard to get what I want at shorter lengths) is not a throw-away. It is a fairly heavy, 16AWG and is shielded. That particular Volex brand cord actually has a bit of a following in audio (Google it).

That's great to hear, Alex. Unfortunately I have two of these power cords sitting unused in my garage from the two JS-2's that I purchased. The reason is, my JS-2's were supplied with American power cords instead of Australian ones - so I had to head to the hardware store to buy more IEC plugs. These were extremely cheap - $5 each. It will cost me nothing to plug the Volex cords into a US-AU adapter and try them out, so maybe i'll do that.

Incidentally, I finally managed to power on my NADAC with the JS-2 today. The problem is that the NADAC has a proprietary Hirose power input - I had to source one of these plugs and send it to the dealer to solder them. As a result, my cable arrived a week after my JS-2, which was kind of frustrating. But I can tell you - plugging a NADAC into a JS-2 is TOTALLY WORTH IT.

• 1 year later...