IGNORED

Regen at the tail end of a USB hard drive into an Aries

Hello Alex,

Quick question...popped in two AQ jitterbugs on the receiving end of my Aries, the end of an AQ USB running from a 2 1/2" hard drive and this to great effect. Begs the question if you have any user of the Regen in the same configuration....on a cable from the drive to the streamer and not on the cable from the stremer to the DAC.

Never would have thought that cleaning up the data delivery at the drive end would have such a positive effect on the music but the Jitterbugs have me convinced...so the next step in this pursuit may be your bad boy, the Regen. Any antidotal reports from your customers would be welcome.

Best,

Warren

Hello Warren,

although quite unbelievable for me in the very beginning, I've also found out that the incoming USB data stream from an USB drive into the Aries (and most probably any other streamer) has impact on the SQ.

First step was a very good USB cable. It is really worthy even there. Second step was an Uptone Regen, which gives me a good amout of everything which is noticable with a Regen sitting in front of the DAC. Not 100% of its usual effect, however.

This is how it looks like with the Aries. Everything fits a bit tight, but it works.

image.jpg

In my system the green Regen (very first batch, remember?) sounds better than the Amber in front of the Aries. Therefore I cannot wholeheartedly recommend buying a Regen Amber for the USB input of the Aries blindly. It would be perfect if you have the chance to give it a try beforehand.

Best wishes,

Henning

I've tried it.

I have a 500GB USB SSD connected via USB 2.0 cable to my Aries with a Jitterbug in the vacant DAC USB slot (I use AES/EBU to my DAC). I feel I've gotten it all sounding pretty clean in this configuration with the SSD and the Jitterbug giving the bass notes some more air/separation. Using a USB 2.0 cable and not the USB 3.0 cable supplied with the SSD makes a big difference, I found that the USB 3.0 cable introduces unwanted noise with it's extra connections.

Adding the Regen to the SSD line sounded a little too lean for my liking. I have another Jitterbug on the way to try as well but I am half expecting the same result as using the Regen.

i've just ordered Regen for my Aries (connected to PSAudio DS).

It would be most probably the amber version to my understanding.. - how much worse it is with Aries than original green version of Regen? I'm bit nervous as i've found this only now..

Don't panic, there is a misunderstanding! We are talking about a Regen in front of the USB HDD input of the Aries. And yes, in that certain and very uncommon position the Amber Regen in combination with the USB input of the Aries sounds lean and is not recommended. However, with the normal use in front of the DAC and connected to the DAC output of the Aries you are 100% right with the Amber Regen!

You can only buy an Amber Regen, because the Green Regen was just the very first batch of about 100 pieces. Then it was upgraded to the Amber version, which gives significant better SQ in front of the DAC. So the normal use case of the Regen.

Mej se hezky, Henning

• 2 weeks later...

I had tried to do similar connection with Bryston BDP-2 but it didn't work. No sound at all.

The configuration was:

2TB Oyen USB drive > usb 3 type A cable > Type A female to Type A female adapter > Usb type A to B hard connector > Regen green > Usb type A to B hard connector > Bryston BDA-2 Dac

Anyone knows what is the problem?

Hi Lateboomer,

maybe the Regen ist connected in the "wrong direction" in your case? Please make sure that the Regen Input is connected to the Bryston DAC. The output of the REGEN (B-type socket) has to face the USB drive.

Hope I could help!

All the best,

Henning

Oopps! Sorry, my configuration actually is:

2TB Oyen USB drive > usb 3 type A cable > Type A female to Type A female adapter > Usb type A to B hard connector > Regen green > Usb type A to A hard connector > Bryston BDP-2 usb input

BDP-2 output to BDA-2 Dac via AES connection. I am dyslectic and thinking too far away. So why this config doesn't work?

Hi Lateboomer,

please go with this configuration as follows:

USB drive > usb 3 type A cable > Regen green > USB B to A hard converter > Bryston.

Please refer to the foto in my post #2 in this thread. There you can see the correct connection of the Regen to an USB input of a streamer, such as Aries and your Bryston.

That will work!

Henning

P.S.: I've made a mistake in my previous post. The output side of the Regen has a type A USB connector of course.

Looks like my new equipment does not have a USB output.

Has anyone tried the Regen in front of an external hard drive? Alex doesn't think there would be any sound quality improvement. But, he was not totally sure.

If the Regen can not be used on my Hardrives I'll have to sell them. I have 2 of them that are the latest Amber version.

I followed HenSch's guide to connect Regen green to the hard drive and also connected to the usb input of Bryston BDP-2. Then audio output is from BDP-2 via AES to Bryston BDA-2 dac.

I think the SQ improves at least another 15%, less digital and better resolution and harmonics. I am glad and thank you.

I followed HenSch's guide to connect Regen green to the hard drive and also connected to the usb input of Bryston BDP-2. Then audio output is from BDP-2 via AES to Bryston BDA-2 dac.

I think the SQ improves at least another 15%, less digital and better resolution and harmonics. I am glad and thank you.

Fascinating! A whole new usage for the REGEN. Who knew? Spread the word. ;)

lateboomer, I feel the same way.

Surprisingly, putting the Regens connected to my external hardrives does indeed improve the sound quality. I had to change the hard connector from the Regen to a usb a to a usb mini. But the sound quality is better than running the cable straight into my hard drive.

I have been using a dedicated +5V Linear PSU and modified (no +5V) cable between USB memory and HDDs to the USB input of my Oppo 103 for quite some time now. I expect that the Regen in conjunction with a further improved PSU than the original +7.5V SMPS wallwart, will do an even better job, although John Swenson has already pointed out that it isn't optimised for this use.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I have been using a dedicated +5V Linear PSU and modified (no +5V) cable between USB memory and HDDs to the USB input of my Oppo 103 for quite some time now. I expect that the Regen in conjunction with a further improved PSU than the original +7.5V SMPS wallwart, will do an even better job, although John Swenson has already pointed out that it isn't optimised for this use.

Alex

Mr. K.: Have you spoken to David L. today? I think he might a little something for you… :)

Regards,

Mr. C.

• 3 years later...
On 9/9/2015 at 9:06 PM, HenSch said:

Hi Lateboomer,

please go with this configuration as follows:

USB drive > usb 3 type A cable > Regen green > USB B to A hard converter > Bryston.

Please refer to the foto in my post #2 in this thread. There you can see the correct connection of the Regen to an USB input of a streamer, such as Aries and your Bryston.

That will work!

Henning

P.S.: I've made a mistake in my previous post. The output side of the Regen has a type A USB connector of course.

I just tried this on a 4TB orico encased HDD and it works! Great increase in SQ connected to a simple nvidia shield with usbplayer pro to my denafrips terminator DAC via curious USB cable. So regen input is connected to the streamer and regen output to the cable from the HDD, so kind of a reverse way . I dont understand though how it works and why in this position! Any ideas? @HenSch

@Superdad @JohnSwenson